It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"We grow more daring and aggressive": The potential for violence as OWS mutates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My apologies if the image below has been posted elswhere but I haven't seen it on ATS yet. It has been making the rounds on the net. It is supposedly a flier posted at OWS Oakland.

In my mind, the image is very provocative and is the closest thing yet that I've seen to actual incitement to violence. I wonder who is behind this particluar stunt. Does it represent the views of a harmless fringe, or is it the manifestation of a mood about to take a turn for the ugly?

Is violent sentiment within OWS growing? Are instigators at work, and if so, to what end do they instigate? What is the potential for violence at this stage of the game? The "peaceful" phase seems to be ending with the winter, smaller crowds, and perhaps news-cycle fatigue. Will this prompt the more radical among the OWS to fade quietly into the woodwork...or shake things up with violence? Should America be worried?

edit on 12/12/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

In my mind, the image is very provocative and is the closest thing yet that I've seen to actual incitement to violence

So you havent been watching the police?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Its going to be sooner or later violents will blow up in the OWS. Its all going to a point and one day its going to explode

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make a violent revolution inevitable." - Martin Luther King / John F Kennedy

This is not the end of the movement. As the damage done to the global economy continues to unravel into a disasterous spiral (coming years possibly), civil unrest will begin to take place among those who dont consider themselves aligned with OWS. I think this is the very very begining.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ThrowCatsAtCacti

Very well, amend that to "this is the most provocative written or printed message..." etc. Thought that was obvious from context...

The question at this point is the future response to police action...or the potential for proactive aggression on the part of the more radical OWSers.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
As I say, they use LRADS, Blinding devices, Aerosol pepper sprays of varying strengths, stun grenades, rubber bullets, pepper balls, batton clubs and of course, just good old fashioned police brutality. I say, use mace on them when they use mace on you. When you are hit by a projectile, hurl one back with a slingshot.

Protests are just a smaller version of SHF. When they do turn violence, try and run. If you cannot, turn and a least face down your opposition.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I hope it does not resort to violence unless need be, but who is to say when or not it is justified. According to the constitution it is, but I think we have a little ways to go until that point. As I have said before in another post, just 1 guy in a hotel window with a suppressed and scoped .22 could own a police dept (for awhile anyway). Imagine hundreds of people armed. I do not advocate that but history shows that it is an end-game possibility if push comes to shove. I just hope for peace on both sides. Either way things are not getting any better.

U
edit on 12-12-2011 by USarmyFL because: added

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Its going to be sooner or later violents will blow up in the OWS. Its all going to a point and one day its going to explode

Originally posted by ItsSocietysFault
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make a violent revolution inevitable." - Martin Luther King / John F Kennedy

This is not the end of the movement. As the damage done to the global economy continues to unravel into a disasterous spiral (coming years possibly), civil unrest will begin to take place among those who dont consider themselves aligned with OWS. I think this is the very very begining.

I agree. whether or not they call it OWS, the sentiment underlying it has not yet been decisively addressed. These things can simmer for years...

I'm envisioning a scenario where you have more and more frequent outbursts of violent domestic unrest. But the mass media will just play it down and pretend that it's normal for this to happen...notice how they construct "new normals" for each step downward on the rotten slide of social decay...there will be riots and there will be blood and there will be smiling media bubbleheads directing your attention to totally irrelvant matters.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The police are getting more and more violent with OWS and with citizens in general. Sooner or later violence will erupt unless the police change tactics.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Their funding will vanish when the mercinaries hired by those whose businesses are impacted by all this cause some fatal "accidents" and "illnesses" on their monetary sources.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
so the occupy movement from across the nation will spark a second american civil war?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
When you run out of flowers, there's nothing to throw but rocks.

The OWS people might not be for violence but there's only so long you can be kicked in the face before it effects your creativity and expression... What comes after that all depends on how much more your face can take.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I dont think it would be a civil war. It would maybe be more like a revolt. Hopefully our society is more interconnected then we anticipate. Maybe the communities, families, friends, will communicate the mistreatment by the increasing police state to each other. When less and less can pay bills it wont be about OWS anymore. It will be about everyone from the lower class to the middle classes, upset about their governments treatment of americans (their constitutes).

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

It looks to me like someone took images from www.prole.info
and then added their own material to it.
As to the text of the image, you could contact the website and ask them if this material is being misused or if it aligns with their beliefs.

Here is the original:

I hope the violent sentiment is not growing. I would like to also point out that this poster does not specifically say anything about OWS. So was it put there by an OWS'er or someone else.......?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
is that a hipster throwing a molotov? I dont see OWS getting violent... this is the type of group that will disperse when real consequences come around... Right now they are using Daddy's credit card... when this isn't cute anymore and real trouble comes around... i'll bet you a buck that they will all go home.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsSocietysFault

you better hope your right because as the economy falter many people will have no choice but gather their guns and shoot at the hated federals you should read this comic book called DMZ this comic book talks about the consequences when America keeps engaging to even more military adventure(which is happening now). The consequences is with very little troops to defend the continental US many anti federal militia rise up and seize control much of the nation before the US could contain them

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

It is Monday December 12, 2011 (5:14PM - Pacific Standard Time)...where I am...here in Seattle....and I just got through watching on the local news. The OWS-Seattle at one of the ports here... successfully shut down the port for 45 minutes and there were a few arrests. Some people that were driving by at the time trying to get to work etc. got out of their various (modes of transportation) and got angry at the OWS protestors....some violence almost happened. Then the news cut to other OWS protests in other states today who also shut down some of their various ports.

I think the kettle is getting ready to boil over....(so to speak)...I think that 2012 is going to be a year of a lot more protests, civil unrest...and yes I think some of this will end in violence.

edit on 12-12-2011 by caladonea because: correction

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
there can be no peacefull change. did egypt change? was it peaceful?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
So my choice is an idiotic violent mob or well organized bankers, both enemies of freedom.
Great.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsSocietysFault

In my mind it is the government, via the police, who are making peaceful revolution impossible, not those participating in the movement itself. I remember a quote, although I do not know who said it initially, that said something along the lines of: the purpose of revolution is not to change the government, but to institute a new one.

I personally believe that any change in the structure of government would be disastrous for the citizens, and I advocated fixing a handful of areas to get us back on track, including changes to the monetary system, as well as the system for elections, and the regulation of lobbying and anything that involves political conflict-of-interest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join