It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man invents working jet pack... soars at over 100mph!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Up, up and away!

Yves Rossy, 45, of Switzerland recently sailed through the skies in his own homebuilt jet pack:

www.thesun.co.uk...

www.dailytimes.com.pk.../06/2004%207:16:14%20AM

The airline pilot has been working on this project for five years... his current model, and the one he rocketed through the skies with, consists of a wing and two small jet engines that he wears on his back. Though his record-breaking flight was begun by jumping off from an airplane that was already in flight, he hopes to be able to ground launch soon...

...AWESOME! No other commentary needed.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
that mustve been super fun.....ive always wanted to try skydiving.......even without jetpacks and wings

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That is cool. Nuts, but cool. I did get distracted, however. The first link is for the Sun and I got caught up with page three girls.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Man is this old news lol. jet packs have been out sicence the early 60des.
And no matter how good they are flyte time is very short 3 to 6 minits thats why they have never been devleped .Pluse theres the HOT pants to add in lol. Its true to its very hard to desine them without burning the guy flying it.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Dude...

Just think of the things you could do with this thing. There must be a million X-sports that could be cooked up just with this model alone.

I wouldn't be surprised if this surpasses the skidoo as the motortoy of choice.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour
Man is this old news lol. jet packs have been out sicence the early 60des.
And no matter how good they are flyte time is very short 3 to 6 minits thats why they have never been devleped .Pluse theres the HOT pants to add in lol. Its true to its very hard to desine them without burning the guy flying it.

This wasn't just one of those packs from the 60s that could rise a little bit and hover.... this thing was almost like a mini hanglider that you could wear on your back and that had an engine. This Rossy guy actually flew around horizontally and could manuever with it (and fly faster that 100mph!).

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
maybe they can strap jets to a glider so you can glide after going 100 mph

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think the 'fun' part here is that the wings are actually attached to you... so that you control the flight by actually moving your body. The sensation must feel like you're actually flying, yourself.

As a sidequestion... could there be a military application for this? 'Sky Commandos'?

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
im thinkin more of a military option for this. Think how eay it would be to airdrop people like this. YOur planes would be awhole lot safe because you cause launch these people miles awaya from the target and they would look just like birds to a radar. Potentially a kool new spec ops weapon

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
could you imagine duck hunting with something like this?

Yeah Quicksilver, I could totally see this as like a SpecOps transportation system.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I want one!!!...Imagine the time it'd save in traffic...

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
maybe they can strap jets to a glider so you can glide after going 100 mph

If they did that, it would be considered a rocket propeled projectile due to no primitive guidence.

It would no longer be a glider if it had rocket jets attached to it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Uh, jet packs are old. Made in the 60's, used in a James Bond film. And they do more than float a few feet off the ground. The one used in a James Bond film can go up to 80-100 feet, fly up to 60mph and go for about 2-3 minutes. This is old news, why post it now?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
As has already been stated, it is not a jet pack like you describe, it is a wing and two small jet engines strapped onto the guys back which he actually flew with. not lifted up off the ground or hovered, but flew. follow the link on the first post to see.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Jet packs really have no military applications since they only last for a few minutes if they could last longer them might be useful. But for civilian use I can think of plenty of things i would like to do I I had one of them

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Friends and I have discussed the notion of home-built rocket packs as a project but came to the conclusion that the fuel required to make it an efficient mode of transportation was to great.

We settled on the idea of miniature gas-turbines. The same weight in fuel could take you 100X farther than a design utilizing a rocket engine. Then you have the problem of flight control. It would be a dangerous project, but enjoyable once built.

Talk about adrenaline flow.

top topics

join