It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Altered Mosquito to Wipe Out Mosquito Population

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Great, now were deciding to end a naturally selected creature that has come from the great cosmos as have we. Who the hell do we think we are. We are the most arrogant species I know of on this planet. We are all linked, every little bug to the biggest whale.
Just so sad we would even think of this idea.

I agree, and we are creating a 'bad karma' situation, such that when a supremely advanced race of aliens lands on Earth, they will undoubtedly view us as irritating little gnats and squash us with no thought of our right to live on this planet, with no remorse whatsoever.

We all better wake up to the fact that EVERYTHING matters-- every living thing! Every living thing is made of matter. Everything. It is ok to protect yourself from a stinging mosquito, in my opinion. It is not ok to abolish the entire species!!!

edit on 12/12/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/12/2011 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Mosquitoes take a very little bit of blood from a much, much larger animal. Then, they serve as a food source to birds and bats and frogs and lizards, which in turn serve as a food source for bigger birds and small mammals and fish. The mosquito larvae also serve as food source to fish and frogs. Eventually, people eat those fish or mammals, and then we grow, and more mosquitoes can come take a little sip of our blood.

It is the circle of life.

Take out a major link in the circle and we all die.

Not a very good plan if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Until their genetic mutation mutates and we end up with 3foot long female mosquito!

I disapprove of playing God with nature .. on the other hand.. I really hate mosquitos..

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This kind of thing never seems to work out the way they think it will. Unintended consequences are a certainty.

Like the corn modified with pesticides. Worked for a minute, now the insects have adapted and are that much harder to control. Not to even mention what eating that corn may do to humans.

A while back they decided there was a rat problem in Hawai'i. Some genius came up with the idea of introducing the mongoose, thinking it would kill off the rats. Said genius failed to realize that rats are nocturnal, while the mongoose is diurnal. They never come in to contact with each other. So now, on top of a rat problem, the mongoose is eating the eggs of the native birds and decimating their populations. Brilliant.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea and to the people worried about Bats. They don't just eat mosquitoes. No animal in the world to my knowledge can survive on one form of nutrition. Do they eat bugs? Sure and there are plenty of other bugs out there for bats. Even if certain bats went extinct , we'd still have fruit bats. Because as their name implies they only eat fruit. Though on Occasion they do lick nectar from flowers.

Of course neither of these will be effected by the death of mosquitoes.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Yikers...

After reading that I had a sudden flashback to the movie Star Trek IV - Save the whales.

We will wipe out the little buggers only to find out 500 years from now they are an alien race and the home planet wants to know why they haven't heard from them.

On a serious note though, do these guys serve any ecological function (transporting pollen / natural enemy to some other bug / animal etc)?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

They are a major food source for bats, birds, fish, and amphibians.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

There appears to be a failure to recognize that Mosquitos are to important to wipe out, they form many food chains and provide pollination. There needs to be away to stop this now

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by connorromanow

There appears to be a failure to recognize that Mosquitos are to important to wipe out, they form many food chains and provide pollination. There needs to be away to stop this now

Mosquitoes don't spread pollen. They spread disease. And as others have pointed out, they are not he main source of food for any one predator.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

Mouitos spread pollen The males do anywayspollinators.blogspot.com...
Plus they are food for bats, birds, spider, dragon flies, frogs, lizards, some carnivorous plants, so wing the out could be devastating to the world
wiki.answers.com...
I want malaria to end to bur, wiping out Mosquitos is not the way

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join