It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Tycoon to Run Against Putin

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Russian Tycoon to Run Against Putin

www.aljazeera.com

The owner of NBA's New Jersey Nets basketball team had previously made a short-lived effort to challenge Putin's United Russia party...

He later resigned from his own party following an internal power struggle that he blamed on the Kremlin. The Right Cause party finished with less than one percent of the vote.

The Polys Gold metals miner chairman, consistently ranked as one of Russia's top five billionaires by Forbes magazine, was in 2010 estimated to have a fortune of $18 billion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
There you have it: incontrovertible proof that American-style democracy is spreading around the world.

And American cash.

...Ownership of "American" basketball teams.

...American-style commitment to corporate wealth.

The list goes on.

GO Mikhail! You tell 'em how the world really works!

www.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
What I find extremely interesting about this, is that Mikhail wants to start a new political party.

Imagine if that could happen here, and have a fighting chance. Enough of this twp party crap. I'd love if every election cycle a few different parties popped up, and helped cycle out the career Washington criminals.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

He later resigned from his own party following an internal power struggle that he blamed on the Kremlin. The Right Cause party finished with less than one percent of the vote.

Obviously his billions are no match for Putin's power and influence.

edit on 12-12-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

But his new party has a great name, don'tcha think?

..."The Right Cause."

(I honestly think he's watching too much Fox"News.")

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

But his new party has a great name, don'tcha think?

..."The Right Cause."

The Slight Cause

Would have been much more descriptive, don'tcha think?

Fox News?

Bah, Putin has RT

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Wait a minute. So, is he a RUSSIAN AMERICAN? Running for presidency in RUSSIA. A russian american running for pres.. This is NUTS.
Is this a coup de ta? Whats going on here?
No wonder PUTIN is in an uproar with his pants in a jam. Did putin just get his underware pulled or what? How can this be? An american running for PRES. in russia. Apparently this tycoon has the money to do whatever he wants.
A NBA basketball owner/tycoon worth billions. REALLY, how did he get this much money? How many NBA owners are multi billionairs? Not millionairs, but BILLIONAIRS?
To be RUSSIAN PRES.? WOW, whats going on these days?
GEE, in the 70's that would be treason.
NOW, it seems to be OK.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

The Slight Cause

Would have been much more descriptive, don'tcha think?

Maybe. But "The Right Cause" just might bring in the global corporate cash that gets US politicians elected.

Don'tcha think?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

No - he's Russian. He just owns American stuff.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Change that title to Russian Tycoon to lose to Putin and be found dead or missing in the next five years.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
Wait a minute. So, is he a RUSSIAN AMERICAN? Running for presidency in RUSSIA. A russian american running for pres.. This is NUTS.
Is this a coup de ta? Whats going on here?
No wonder PUTIN is in an uproar with his pants in a jam. Did putin just get his underware pulled or what? How can this be? An american running for PRES. in russia. Apparently this tycoon has the money to do whatever he wants.
A NBA basketball owner/tycoon worth billions. REALLY, how did he get this much money? How many NBA owners are multi billionairs? Not millionairs, but BILLIONAIRS?
To be RUSSIAN PRES.? WOW, whats going on these days?
GEE, in the 70's that would be treason.
NOW, it seems to be OK.

Gold metals miner owner. Is he one of the russian billionairs who fled russia because putin accused him of raping russia dry? Just curious, i don't know.
Now he is going back to run for pres. against putin. I thought he got his money taken away from him and the funds taken. Curious. Was he not one of the people putin got rid of and said that he was one of russia's downfall?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOneElectric
Change that title to Russian Tycoon to lose to Putin and be found dead or missing in the next five years.

And if Putin decides to make an example of him, he will end up in a western hospital with a lethal dose of Polonium poisoning.

But really, things aren't always what they seem, there has to be an unsuccessful challenge to add some small level of fabricated legitimacy to the outcome of the election when the time comes.

For all you really know, this man and Putin could be long time buds... You don't achieve that level of wealth as a Russian unless....?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

A russian running the NBA basketball team. A foriegner? Does he have a GREEN CARD? I thought you had to have CITIZENSHIP of the united states to be here. As long as he has been here. No different from any other citizen of another country. SO, he is a russian, but resides in the u.s.a on what papers? HOW DOES THAT WORK?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

Why do you think he lives in the US?

Don't you realize that most "American" icons are foreign-owned? ...I'm including Congress and the Presidency here btw. ...And oh yeah, the "US" Federal Reserve too.

edit on 12/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

A russian running the NBA basketball team. A foriegner? Does he have a GREEN CARD? I thought you had to have CITIZENSHIP of the united states to be here. As long as he has been here. No different from any other citizen of another country. SO, he is a russian, but resides in the u.s.a on what papers? HOW DOES THAT WORK?

He lives in Moscow. Given he bought an NBA team, why don't you think he'd be given a work visa/greencard?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Gotta love Wiki:

In May, 2011, Prokhorov announced a plan to join the leadership of the Russian pro-business political party Right Cause. While not antagonistic to the Kremlin, the party was seen as likely to support President Dmitry Medvedev rather than Prime Minister Vladimir Putin if the latter entered the 2012 presidential race. In June, Prokhorov was elected to the leadership of the party at the Right Cause Party Congress of 2011. At the acceptance ceremony, Prokhorov officially criticized the present ruling tandem of Medvedev-Putin, the structure of Russia, and vowed to bring Russia back to a stable development course.[17] However, in September, Prokhorov reversed course and resigned from Right Cause, "condemning it as a 'puppet Kremlin party' micromanaged by a 'puppet master' in the president’s office ..., Vladislav Y. Surkov". [18]

....Regarding Prokhorov's political efforts and the Right Cause party, critical commentators claim that the entire endeavor is just a project of the Kremlin closely curated by Vladislav Surkov and that Prokorov was effectively appointed a party leader.[15][16] According to them, the "puppet party" was designed to divert opposition voters by using liberal rhetoric.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Some posts up I said...

But really, things aren't always what they seem, there has to be an unsuccessful challenge to add some small level of fabricated legitimacy to the outcome of the election when the time comes.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Pretty interesting news, I've been following this all day since it broke this morning. Although it seems credible there are some people saying, don't have any links at the moment, that this is some sort of ploy by Putin by getting this guy to run as the opposition. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised, the dude (Putin) has been known to go to extreme lengths to get his way, so would this really be out of the question? My mind hasn't been made up about this new guy yet, I guess we'll just have to wait and see the facts come out as they do, but this sure makes things a bit more interesting!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Given he bought an NBA team, why don't you think he'd be given a work visa/greencard?

Rich people do not need work visa's or greencards - money is always welcome, especially big money.

Why would you think someone rich enough to buy an NBA basketball team - or a factory, forest, nuclear power plant or mine for that matter - might need a greencard or work visa to finalize such a transaction? ....Perhaps some kind of papers might be required if he bought a US residence, but even then I'm not so sure. ...Rich people move around the world with few or no constraints.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Is it that easy to get a visa, green card?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join