It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to Kyoto: We're Out!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Canada to Kyoto: We're Out!

ca.news.yahoo.com

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada will formally withdraw from the Kyoto protocol on climate change, Environment Minister Peter Kent said on Monday.

"As we've said, Kyoto for Canada is in the past ... We are invoking our legal right to formally withdraw from Kyoto," he told reporters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Good.

We were always told by China and other European nations that we were not doing out part anyways.

I wonder how many nations will follow this possible trend? Hopefully the whole Carbon Credits talk will hold no ground with such a large country like Canada bowing out?

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Good for them! The Kyoto treaty was well-intentioned but in practice it was a joke. The environment is more important than business but choking out businesses needlessly seems to be the only reason Kyoto exists.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hopefully when Obama is out, we will get out of Kyoto too.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

It's aboot time eh! Southpark reference there ;-) I have to wonder though, the three largest polluters on the planet, those being China, the United States and India were never involved or held to the accord? If that's the case, what was the point anyway? Apart from maybe a launching pad for the AGW ---> AGCC scams?

What's really funny (read downright stupid) is making carbon dioxide a toxic gas (as they have). Seems to me plants need us and we need plants. Cut off the CO2 and don't we all die, what's going to make the oxygen? By extension, if they tax what we exhale because it's toxic, are they going to tax the plants to pay us back for their CO2 use? That idiot in the US government does want to give trees (and other plants) the same rights as people after all.

Someone needs to tell Al Gore and his criminal buddies that our carbon footprint only exists because of that attached leather boot that he and the rest of those scammers are going to need to have surgically removed from their collective @sses.

One last thing Calgarian, dude, Canada is not a country, it's a colony, the largest in the world, but still a colony. It is also a wholly owned subsidiary corporation to the corporation that runs the UK. Just wanted to clear that up and nice catch there btw on the thread.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 12/12.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Unless I'm mistaken, the US isn't involved in the Kyoto treaty anyway.
Good for us and Canada.
That rascally old "national sovereignty" thing strikes again!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Of course The Kyoto Accord is garbage. No one ever took it seriously... Especially here in Canada. It doesn't surprise me one bit that we've backed out of it.
I wrote a post in my blog about a year and a half ago about Global Warming, and what a farce it is called: Proof That Global Warming Is Junk Science!!.

In my opinion, each country that signed on to The Kyoto Accord was either duped by people like Al Gore, or willfully chose to screw their populous with higher taxes, tighter environmental restrictions, and the like. Maybe Canada finally woke up, and decided to get out..... Or, we actually have a stupid government, who just doesn't know any better....?
edit on 12/12/1111 by moondoggy2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Yeah my friend, i dont think the US was ever in it to begin with, the Obama admin rejected it back in 2009.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

funny canada would withdraw now, i heard just within the last couple weeks that china was offering flexibility to their greenhouse policies if developed countries would extend their commitments, specifically Canada

news.sympatico.ctv.ca...

i guess we didnt take too kindly to china's offer

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
this video talks about what kyoto protocol would mean to people in developing and poor countries

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Didn't Obama actually keep us out of it?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Agreed to in 1997 to take effect in 2005. Bill Clinton and the Congress said no to it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This is sad and shameful. Yet another reason for all Canadians to be embarrassed of our extreme right-wing government and that coward Harper. Canada used to be respected on the world stage. Now the rest of the world looks down upon us. The really sad part is that most Canadians are oblivious to the destruction of the values Canada used to live by and espouse.

Stephen Harper is a villan in the truest sense of the word.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kimar

If you think Canada is handicapped now in relation to China consider that capture and sequestration of CO2 will double electrical costs of coal powered generation. GNP is related to cost of energy. China is just working the system.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kimar
This is sad and shameful. Yet another reason for all Canadians to be embarrassed of our extreme right-wing government and that coward Harper. Canada used to be respected on the world stage. Now the rest of the world looks down upon us. The really sad part is that most Canadians are oblivious to the destruction of the values Canada used to live by and espouse.

Stephen Harper is a villan in the truest sense of the word.

Excuse me? I'm quite proud that our country finally stood up for itself and stated a (in the view of myself and many others) correct opinion for once. The liberals had our rights vanishing before our eyes, and were driving this country the exact opposite way Sir John A. Macdonald wanted. Not getting into a political discussion here, and I may not agree with every single Conservative viewpoint, but looking into the bleak future of the world, we're much better off with a leader who doesn't ignore our troops and take away our rights to personal self defense.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield

Excuse me? I'm quite proud that our country finally stood up for itself and stated a (in the view of myself and many others) correct opinion for once. The liberals had our rights vanishing before our eyes, and were driving this country the exact opposite way Sir John A. Macdonald wanted. Not getting into a political discussion here, and I may not agree with every single Conservative viewpoint, but looking into the bleak future of the world, we're much better off with a leader who doesn't ignore our troops and take away our rights to personal self defense.

Which rights were vanishing under our eyes under the Liberals? They were indeed very flawed, but I'll take them any day of the week over Harper's Reform party in disguise. Don't be fooled my friend - this decision was made not to declare any sense of independence for Canada (which, frankly, is a laughable argument), but done solely to help a handful of wealthy individuals and corporations. You stand with an uber minority of Canadians with your opinion.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I am glad. Kyoto meant nothing, and got reworked so that corporations could pay the third world to not develop and pay their elite to keep it that way.

Good Riddance. It was always a morally bankrupt system.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRedfield
You stand with an uber minority of Canadians with your opinion.

That so called uber-minority voted Harper into a majority government.

I'm finding your logic flawed.

I stand with the group that says that Canada was right to get out before they threw more money into that black pit.
edit on 2011/12/12 by juniperberry because: formatting

edit on 2011/12/12 by juniperberry because: formatting again

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by juniperberry

Come on now. You do not need to be reminded that Harper got less than 40% of the vote and less than 25% of the total electorate voted for his party. He got his majority based on our flawed electoral system, not because the majority of Canadians support him. But you already knew this.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kimar

And yet he STILL has the majority.... unless you're willing to have only a 2 party system.. and we can see just how well THAT works can't we?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join