It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers design Alzheimer's antibodies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Researchers design Alzheimer's antibodies

medicalxpress.com

Researchers at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute have developed a new method to design antibodies aimed at combating disease. The surprisingly simple process was used to make antibodies that neutralize the harmful protein particles that lead to Alzheimer's disease.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.physorg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Study Finds Potential Culprit of Alzheimer's Disease
Alzheimer's might be transmissible in similar way as infectious prion diseases: study
AIDS, Alzheimer's, Cancer - and Mad Cow Prions. What's the Story?
PRIONS: Is Your Food Really Safe? -- CJD, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, Lou Gehrig's, Multiple Sclerosis

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

The process is reported in the Dec. 5 Early Edition of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). The process, outlined in the paper, titled "Structure-based design of conformation- and sequence-specific antibodies against amyloid β," could be used as a tool to understand complex disease pathology and develop new antibody-based drugs in the future.

Antibodies are large proteins produced by the immune system to combat infection and disease. They are comprised of a large Y-shaped protein topped with small peptide loops. These loops bind to harmful invaders in the body, such as a viruses or bacteria. Once an antibody is bound to its target, the immune system sends cells to destroy the invader. Finding the right antibody can determine the difference between death and recovery.

((Antibodies (also known as immunoglobulins, abbreviated Ig) are gamma globulin proteins that are found in blood or other bodily fluids of vertebrates, and are used by the immune system to identify and neutralize foreign objects, such as bacteria and viruses.))

Alzheimer's disease is one of the modern nightmare scenario's which far too many of us have had to witness. The loss of a mind to this is devastating to anyone who cares for the victim. Imagine if this research (and the rest) goes as well as we could hope it would.

There seems to be a possiblity of even "curing" the illness; which is something I would never dared to hope for. Can you imagine the knowledge we might be able to acquire if a former Alzheimer's sufferer could cogently describe their affliction?

Having to witness the loss of a loved one, into a fog of despair and loss, can someday be a thing of the past. We can only hope this is the good news we want it to be.

((Alzheimer's disease (AD), also called Alzheimer disease, Senile Dementia of the Alzheimer Type (SDAT) or simply Alzheimer's, is the most common form of dementia. This incurable, degenerative, and terminal disease was first described by German psychiatrist and neuropathologist Alois Alzheimer in 1906 and was named after him. Generally it is diagnosed in people over 65 years of age, although the less-prevalent early-onset Alzheimer's can occur much earlier. An estimated 26.6 million people worldwide had Alzheimer's in 2006; this number may quadruple by 2050.))

"We are actually exploiting the same protein interactions that cause the disease in the brain to mediate binding of antibodies to toxic Alzheimer's protein particles," Tessier said.

Alzheimer's disease is due to a specific protein – the Alzheimer's protein – sticking together to form protein particles. These particles then damage the normal, healthy functions of the brain. The formation of similar toxic protein particles is central to diseases such as Parkinson's and mad cow disease.

Importantly, the new Alzheimer's antibodies developed by Tessier and his colleagues only latched on to the harmful clumped proteins and not the harmless monomers or single peptides that are not associated with disease.

Tessier and his colleagues see the potential for their technique being used to target and better understand similar types of protein particles in disorders such as Parkinson's disease.

"By binding to specific portions of the toxic protein, we could test hypotheses about how to prevent or reverse cellular toxicity linked to Alzheimer's disease," Tessier said.

medicalxpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-12-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Researchers are designing synthetic misfolded proteins, which are hopefully NOT pathogenic, to combat infectious misfolded proteins known to be pathogenic.

Wish I had more time to investigate the source article's source.

S&F for a good find.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is nice to hear. S&F

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
S+F Thank you Maxmars

Brilliant news so brilliant it has brought tears to my eyes.

That is of Joy for the potential this has for ALL OF US and our loved ones.

Also mixed with Sadness, as some might be aware from my posts over the years this has touched my life deeply, and this is the first thing I have seen after Visiting an Family member earlier, in an secure unit at the far end of aggressive and still very mobile behavior that Dementia (of all types, just hoping the same can now done for similar types like Lewy Body et al) can create.

Knowing it will be too late for my loved one and the other "ladies" on her Ward is frustrating, however at least now I can hopefully see the last generation that will be cut down, and loose all dignity by this so cruel disease.

Please remember for any loved ones in this situation, don't run from fear, or because of the tears afterwards (visits), or make excuses that "They" have gone already, that touch holding an hand, smell even, tone and type of voice is remembered well after they can cognise it coherently to us.

Ultimately they are scared, confused and have an terminal (if one of the longest) illness, and on many unseen levels it matters very very much.

Do it even so you wont have guilt when it too late, just for 5 minutes even just go and say Hello "Mum" "Dad" "Nan" "Grandad" "Sister" "Lover" "child" even1"

JUST DO IT! it matters much more than you know.

I Hope I have made some feel uneasy by the above, having worked in the field when younger and also nearly daily visits to my caregiver in that situation now has proven to me the above is needed.

Many of my old clients and the Ladies I see on my visit have NO VISITORS in many years at all, or just once or twice a year.

It is heartbreaking anyway the Disease but this makes it soo much worse. Keeping contact helps them people suffering from this both more dignity, stability, protection from abuse, better staff relations and care (they know the family and history the "person better"), and it stops the late stage(s)(depending which scale used 3 or 5 or 7) from coming on soo soon.

So happy about this having looked at the research quickly b4 this post it could be one of the most important medical advances in many years, Alzheimer's is an Financial, Social, Employment, Medical arenas is an Ticking Time Bomb that as the population of the West (and world) get's older we might not be able to deal with as when it happens the bailouts of now will still be being paid, its of that size in total over say an decade.

Elf now has some hope in the Future

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Please remember for any loved ones in this situation, don't run from fear, or because of the tears afterwards (visits), or make excuses that "They" have gone already, that touch holding an hand, smell even, tone and type of voice is remembered well after they can cognise it coherently to us.

Ultimately they are scared, confused and have an terminal (if one of the longest) illness, and on many unseen levels it matters very very much.

Do it even so you wont have guilt when it too late, just for 5 minutes even just go and say Hello "Mum" "Dad" "Nan" "Grandad" "Sister" "Lover" "child" even1"

JUST DO IT! it matters much more than you know.

Advice worth repeating.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thank You Sofi

I hope others feel the same and act on it to.

Much Love to you have not crossed on boards for a while.

Kind Regards,

Elf

new topics

top topics

join