It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you mind a Godless universe if you could be immortal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
Imagine that it was proven that there was no God, but we had reached a point in medicine and technology that assured you an immortal life, would the fact there was no God bother you at all?

Let's hope that never happens, because then we'll have to decide who gets to reproduce and who doesn't. Even now we're extending lives that should not be extended. People are living 10+ years past their normal life expectancy because of medical care that is going beyond reasonable just to keep them alive, and those extra years they are getting are NOT quality years. We shouldn't strive for immortality, let's enjoy our lives and then step aside to make room for our descendants. If immortality is God's will then so be it, I'm sure if that's His plan then He will make provisions for us to live that way comfortably. But we shouldn't be playing God through medicine, it's not working.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Thats an interesting thought. thinking about it for the briefiest of instants. If we were all immortal and no god. Wouldnt we descend into choas with everybody running around thinking they were some type of all powerful demi god? maybe not. but thats a good question.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I don't want to live NOW, why on earth would I want to be immortal?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I dont care what anybody says, immortality would be cool as fk. id be a demigod roaming the universe big pimpin, id have a girl in every solar system/planet. . Id be as close to god as anybody could get, forget coming to a planet and taking their gold, id be taking their hoe's ('lady's' i just said it cos it rhymed)

With my mass wisdom i would change every corrupt planet, eventually having my own planet for ladies i take from other worlds. fkin hell immortality would be cool

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Who says you need to die to need god?

If you were to prove god didn't exist what would change? People that believed in him would be upset? Those that didn't believe in him would want some sort of payment from religious leaders? Basicly what happens is the crazy people that were already crazy before god was proven to not exist will go more crazy.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Doublemint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by n00bUK
I dont care what anybody says, immortality would be cool as fk. id be a demigod roaming the universe big pimpin, id have a girl in every solar system/planet. . Id be as close to god as anybody could get, forget coming to a planet and taking their gold, id be taking their hoe's ('lady's' i just said it cos it rhymed)

With my mass wisdom i would change every corrupt planet, eventually having my own planet for ladies i take from other worlds. fkin hell immortality would be cool

Okay when you live 100 years into your immortality you'll se all of what you just said and wanted is inconquential.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I appreciate its a big concept...but IF I think if you knew youd never die and somehow God was officially proven not to exist, you may not care because the fear of death [and hoping for an afterlife] is moot.

I flip and flop on this thought.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Immortality, when we reach it, will pose a great threat to both our species and our planet.

Think about it, everyone wants to be immortal, but they also want to keep having children, who also want to be immortal. Using an example of a romanticized world in which everyone can afford immortality, we would begin to drain the resources of the Earth so quickly that we'd have to resort to death camps, eugenics, and "lifetime limits" in order to keep our population in check. People stop dying, but more people keep being born, so our rate of population growth literally begins to spike exponentially. Torchwood, the series, is about a world in which people can no longer die. It makes some good arguments that immortality is more problematic than benevolent.

Immortality is over rated, what makes life great is that we will eventually die. Taking death out of the equation turns life into a state of eternal suffering, especially with the way things are headed now.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The chemical that makes you immortal is diauroadamantane methylamine complex. It binds to the DNA at the ends of telomeres and prevents cell death in affected somatic cells, however it carries a very deep price, first it will give you a syndrome similar to radiation sickness due to hyper-activation of the immune system. The immune system doesn't like immortal cells READ: CANCER. If you survive, it will slow cell death and replication to 1/93 of the original level. Another neat affect is it causes the nervous system to fire more efficiently creating superhuman strength and super fast cognitive abilities; the immune system also becomes hyper aware of foreign material so you won't get sick either. On the bad side, it causes anemia and hemophilia due to changes in iron metabolism and somatic attack on bone marrow. It also causes sterility especially in females. The effects are irreversible. The iron cravings can become so bad it caused some people to drink blood. In short you become a vampire like being.

NO THANKS, I choose to live a full mortal life!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Just had another thought I'd like to mention, if you don't mind.

Wouldn't there be a huge increase in the "manana" factor? I mean faced with any task, people could always say, "I'll do it tomorrow." What would happen to our drive?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
but we had reached a point in medicine and technology that assured you an immortal life,

there is a shortcut that circumvents the need for medically applied immortality.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
If not having a God meant we could all get along peacefully then yes I would be willing to try. If immortality came with the deal so be it.

I am at the stage where I would be willing to try any way of living - as long as people could be good to one another and share the Earth respectfully.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
It sounds like God is a fearsome concept to many on here. Fear of dying just because of God? I am quite shocked that people are scared to be judged on death by God, how bad do you think you are?
What this is saying to me is God is fear. If this is how God is seen then i think it would be a better world without God. Fear is not going to make the world feel nice.
The God that is known here is love.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The best way to make the universe godless is to stop talking about him.
Make yourself immortal and i don't mind if you never mention him ever again.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

Without God we will never reach that point in science and technology, and we are immortal. When the body dies the soul lives on. In this Earthly realm our bodies are not meant to live forever. The day that "they" can prove that there is no God, and people actually believe that to be true, will be a sad day for us all. God is loving and just, but he is also vengeful. A Godless world is Hell, a complete loss of the divine. I will stick to knowing there is a creator, I happen to like the light.

PLPL

top topics

<< 1   >>

join