It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you mind a Godless universe if you could be immortal?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Imagine that it was proven that there was no God, but we had reached a point in medicine and technology that assured you an immortal life, would the fact there was no God bother you at all?

Because you would dodge and escape the ultimate event, would you necessarily need a God?

[I am not an atheist]

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't mind the universe I am living in now(which is a Godless universe) . So yeah , I believe medicine will get to a point were we could be immortal(if we could survive as a species that long) .

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

IMO, Knowing that there isn't a God would drive people to do bad things.
So yes it would bother me. It would end bad.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

So yeah...not a religious person here, but dogmatically speaking isn't the premise of a universe With god one in which we are already immortal? ..just sayin

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Nope. It won't bother me. Didn't believe in a god that much to begin with. Although if you talk to a die-hard Christian or Islamic person you'll get a different and maybe unpleasant response than mine.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I suppose what im saying is, does the immortality take away the need to hope for a God because you know you wont die and potentially need him.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
i know there is no god as it is. and i still do whats right and help others when i can. the arguement that if its proven theres no god ppl will be evil and bla bla is invalid .. no matter what theres good people and bad people! to answer your question ,no i wouldnt care one way or the other but living forever ...not for me! better to burn out than fade away imo.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
We would be Gods if we got to that point in time with medicine.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

'Knowing' that there supposedly is a god has driven many to do bad things too.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

The thought that there is a God has not exactly led to good things.... Unless.... Do you think the world is at a good state? I sure don't.

All I know is this way does not seem to be working too well.... I would be game to try something different, considering, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result each time, is insane.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This depends entirely on what you believe "God" to be. I believe that there is some supreme force or entity that we cannot even fathom. I don't believe that this driving force is any kind of tangible humanoid though. I also don't believe that this "God" will change what I experience after death. If the only reason you believe in God or a God is because you fear death, then you believe in God for the wrong reasons anyhow. The message of religions isn't to do good now so your afterlife is cushy and happy.. The message is to live humbly, be kind to your fellow man and all living creatures. Everything in moderation and self control. Be aware of the world around you and do not disrupt it. They are all common themes within religions.

I think a more appropriate question would be. If you were immortal would you still adhere to the same morals without the threat or consequence of death? Would you practice the same values if you no longer feared the consequences of your actions?

If you were immortal time in a prison wouldn't matter, because time would no longer be a valuable commodity. Time would truly have less meaning and value. Many metaphysical, transcendental and philosophical ideas would change if time no longer had the value it does to us because of death. Laws would probably change and consequences for crimes would undoubtedly be different.

The question you are asking would have a seriously profound ripple effect and the simple idea of immortality would change our lives and existence so much that it is hard for me to truly say how I'd change religiously.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
There can be only one! To the quickening we go!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I would not want to be immortal and live forever. Consider this, what happens when you have seen or done everything you wanted to do. What happens if you cant think of any thing else to do? Very depressing.

What happens when the 1 thing left you want to know about is dying when its the one thing you cant do?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Being immortal doesn't necessarily mean you can't be killed. It just means that time and age no longer have the ill effects on your health.

If you wanted to experience death, you'd have thousands of years to perfect a device to remove your head forcibly from your body.

If you could live forever... You would theoretically have enough time to figure everything out. Even death.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Let me point out this isn’t a thread questioning religion or things done in the name of God.

This is about being immortal taking away the need of God because the fear of death is removed

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is TPTB actual plan and its to be under the Fallen One's dominion, transhumanism, their own creation to mimic God's. Oh, and God/Goodness is real.

Only thing is, you're trapped in lower, limited bodies, in a small dreamscape reality under the Thumb of something very sadistic who derives pleasure at your torture.

Verus actual infinite progression and true immortality. Peace/Love/Joy and Soul mate.

edit on 12-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Maybe unrelated, but what happens to your population figures?

On the moral side, how do you define good and bad then. One ATSer told me that we are hardwired so that that the survival of our species is "The Moral Good." Wouldn't have to worry about survival in your supposed case.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
...would the fact there was no God bother you at all?

Mind?
I would actually prefer it.
Immortal or not, I would hate to live in a universe in which there was a god.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Maybe unrelated, but what happens to your population figures?

On the moral side, how do you define good and bad then. One ATSer told me that we are hardwired so that that the survival of our species is "The Moral Good." Wouldn't have to worry about survival in your supposed case.

Good question; a lottery for a few.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

There is truth in that.

Most species have a self preservation mechanism hardwired into their instincts. It's like an insurance policy for the survival and propogation of a species. The point of any species is to survive and become dominant.

There are always going to be "Good and Bad" people. Truthfully though, not many people could bludgeon someone's skull with a rock unless their own lives were in jeopardy. Even then its 50/50 fight or flight.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join