It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HHS Overrules FDA on Plan B

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

HHS Overrules FDA on Plan B

the-scientist.com

Despite scientific evidence that Plan B emergency contraception is safe for women of all ages, the department of Health and Human Services declined to approve it for over-the-counter use.

After the department of Health and Human Services (HHS) overruled the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on Wednesday regarding the approval of emergency contraceptive Plan B, many are wondering whether politics, not science, guided the decision. The department ruled to keep existing restrictions on Plan B...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The FDA concluded a while ago that the "Plan B" drug is safe and effective for fertile women of all ages and should be available over-the-counter. Many members here on ATS have their own opinions about the reliability of information provided by the FDA.

As it happens, breast cancer research implicates chemical contraception as a potential cause of breast cancer. The view is supported in Early Exposures to Hazardous Chemicals/Pollution and Associations with Chronic Disease, a report from the Canadian Environmental Law Association, the Ontario College of Family Physicians and the Environmental Health Institute of Canada.

But the USA's Institute of Medicine choked, and specified in a recent report that only hormone replacement therapy is really really bad for causing breast cancer (as far as hormones go).

So there you have it: the face-off.

* Right to choose;

* Right to life;

* FDA credibility;

* Corporate rights to profit; OR

* Individual rights to be fully informed.

Go at it ATS.

the-scientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/12/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Blessed be,
I believe that all Women should be allowed to make their own decisions on whether or not they wish to use contraceptives and not be judged because of it.
I use a hormone beased contraceptive, but that is my choice and my choice alone. No one else should be able to choose for me.

Namasté

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
If a grown mature women wants to take this to prevent a pregnancy then who cares, but I would have a BIG problem with my 12 year old daughter accessing this medication without first discussing it with me. Children are not adults and my children are my responsibility, not the governments. You want to make Plan B an OTC for adults, great. You want to circumvent my parental control over my child, no way.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Dear soficrow,

I am not a fertile woman, so my opinions might have less weight, but I offer them with the guarantee that they are worth the full price you pay.

I can land squrely, with both feet, on the side of giving the patient all available information. There are some problems with this position, though. Some problems are minor, providing umptyleben translations, illiterate patients, patients incompetent to make choices, but these are largely dealt with now.

Some larger problems might include the strong influence of the Doctor, and the lack of medical, technical, or statistical training many patients lack. Also, as you point out, there is some serious question about the FDA's credibility. (Just mention Flouride around here.) That credibility is more damaged by what seems to be the latest instance of Science controlled by Government. So who provides the drug information; Washington, the Mayo Clinic, the drug manufacturer (Boo! Hiss! I can hear you from here.), the AMA, the Canadian Medical Association, the World Health Organization?

So, for me, information beats profit. But we have to get good information AND we have to allow enough profit to give the industry an incentive.

Your other question is right to choose v. right to life. Man, I really don't want to go down there. But let me offer one suggestion. Maybe it shouldn't be a case of one right versus another, maybe it should be "Under what conditions can the right to choose be exercised?"

For example, I suppose there is an age under which no one should get plan B. I don't know, birth to 10, maybe? And after a certain age there should be no restriction, assuming, of course that the person is competent, etc. The only problem comes up during those middle years. Is a prescription then unreasonable? Maybe not.

A possible solution then? Like a liquor store, card people who buy it. Then either say "No," "Sure," or "Where's your prescription," depending on age.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Children are not adults and my children are my responsibility, not the governments. You want to make Plan B an OTC for adults, great. You want to circumvent my parental control over my child, no way.

Wait a sec. ...Preventing Plan B from being sold over-the-counter IS government control - and it takes YOUR responsibility away from YOU.

No government control means no regulations requiring prescriptions.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
If a grown mature women wants to take this to prevent a pregnancy then who cares, but I would have a BIG problem with my 12 year old daughter accessing this medication without first discussing it with me. Children are not adults and my children are my responsibility, not the governments. You want to make Plan B an OTC for adults, great. You want to circumvent my parental control over my child, no way.

This contraceptive is an emergency contraceptive, isn't it? A "morning-after" pill, if you will, not a pre-planned contraceptive that people take in anticipation of having unprotected sex.

At some point kids will start to have sex. It's not a matter of whether the child is good or bad, or whether the parenting is good or bad. It's a matter of when chemicals kick in that are quite capable of overriding rational thought. For some people that happens earlier than others. Our bodies are just programmed to work that way.

So, a young girl ends up having sex with her boyfriend. She wasn't prepared for it, now she's worrying. She spends a few days agonising over how she can tell her parents so that she can get "emergency contraception". She finally works up the courage... when? Later that day? A few days later? When it's too late? These drugs are generally only effective within 5 days, and I think most are only fully effective within the first 2 or 3 days. After that life is going to get complicated.

It doesn't matter how great a relationship you may have with your child, the world does not work with just the good parents in mind. Children get scared and they also make bad decisions through fear of upsetting or "failing" their parents. Some children will know that this kind of news would earn them a severe beating, because not all families are loving and kind. A child, even one who is just 12 years old, should have an impartial, non-judgemental and medically supported place that she can go to for this kind of help.

Though not directly relevant to you in the US, I think the UK has found the correct legal position in this matter:

"As a matter of Law the parental right to determine whether or not their minor child below the age of sixteen will have medical treatment terminates if and when the child achieves sufficient understanding and intelligence to understand fully what is proposed"
Gillick v West Norfolk and Wisbech Area Health Authority [1985] 3 All ER 402 (HL) per Lord Scarman

I have two daughters who will be soon approaching this age. My wife and I have worked hard to let the children know that we will love them no matter what. They know they can come to us with these problems and that, whatever we make think of the problems, we will help them solve it first and then look back to see what can be learned from it. This doesn't mean they won't get told off or punished if that is necessary, but we make problem-solving the priority. As I say to the kids more often than they'd like (and nomally while handing them some paper towels to clean up whatever they just spilled
) "Accidents happen, problems happen, the important thing is how you deal with them and what you learn from them".

I would still be happier knowing that there was someone my kids could go outside of the family for help if they needed it. I don't want them to suffer because I'm too busy being proud that I own them and control every moment of their lives. My ego getting bruised for a few days is not more important than risking their childhood being taken away from them and their lives being put on hold for the next 18 years.
edit on 13-12-2011 by EvillerBob because: Missed a "p"!

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Wait a sec. ...Preventing Plan B from being sold over-the-counter IS government control - and it takes YOUR responsibility away from YOU.

Allowing the morning after pill to be sold to my children without my consent, when they need my consent for school field trips, tattoo’s, piercings, medical treatment in general, etcetera is denying me my parental control and authority over my children.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

consent for school field trips, tattoo’s, piercings, medical treatment in general, etcetera

So you support government control over children? Meaning you believe laws should exist to prevent children from acting freely of their own volition and without parental consent?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

reply to post by SirMike

consent for school field trips, tattoo’s, piercings, medical treatment in general, etcetera

So you support government control over children? Meaning you believe laws should exist to prevent children from acting freely of their own volition and without parental consent?

No, I am the authority over my children, where the go, what they watch on TV, what they eat, etcetera. Taking that responsibility from me and giving it directly to the child is not acceptable.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

No, I am the authority over my children, where the go, what they watch on TV, what they eat, etcetera. Taking that responsibility from me and giving it directly to the child is not acceptable.

So your child is your personal chattel until some arbitrary age that has no link to their actual physical or cognitive development?

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvillerBob

So your child is your personal chattel until some arbitrary age that has no link to their actual physical or cognitive development?

No, my child is MY responsibility and mine alone until they are an adult.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
If this product is available to anyone OTC, I think we will see huge numbers of girls using
it as a method of after the fact birth control. Possibly even guys slipping these pills into their girlfriends food because he does not want the child? My paranoid little mind can come up with alot of ugly scenarios.
It just seems like a dangerous thing to have OTC.
IMHO

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

reply to post by SirMike

If you rely on government laws to control your children's activities, then you are abdicating your authority, and agreeing to give it to the government. .....No way around it.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
If this product is available to anyone OTC, I think we will see huge numbers of girls using
it as a method of after the fact birth control.

That is a very valid concern and it seems to be one of the driving arguments. People will stop treating it as an "emergency" measure and start treating it as the "normal" procedure, rather than use condoms or traditional oral contraception.

The problem is that if someone needs it, they need it. They need it quickly. They need somewhere that they can go that doesn't involve "judgement". A clinic or doctor that can provide this pill with assessment and clinical oversight but without parental involvement - and presumbly paid for by the state to avoid having to involve the parents - would be a good avenue to consider.

If my parents made it clear to the world that they owned me and dictated everything I could eat, drink, watch and do, I can guarantee that I would never have come to them with any problem.

top topics

join