It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got the swine flu and survived?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
For those of us who got sick from the H1N1 virus, I would like to know if it did permanent changes.

I caught it myself and since then, I don't feel the same. Actually, I feel that my immune system is stronger than ever before.

During the winter, I used to be sick from the flu 2-3 times a year and even more. Been over a year last time I got sick. This Fall, I also realised that I had almost no symptoms from my usual allergies. First time in 10 years that I did not take medication to treat it.

Since I didn't change my habits (I smoke a lot), it seems logical that this virus changed something in me.

The only way for me to confirm this is to ask you if it did the same to you. I know the subject is somewhat old, but still hope to get a feedback from you.

No stars or flag asked, just answers needed...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Not sure about any changes to my immune system. But it was the worst flu I have ever experienced. Every joint in my body was on fire and I was practically immobile for four days. The funny thing that did happen was my girlfriend contracted it first and was put on heavy antibiotics. I had no insurance so received no meds. She suffered for twice the amount of time as I did and I am the one who smokes. Go figure

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by strangefires

Wow, antibiotics to cure a viral disease. Did her doctor actually go through medical school? Incredible...
I don;t find it difficult to imagine why she suffered twice as long. The antibiotics did nothing to counter the virus, but weakened her immune system!

Oh, and I think that smoking is actually good for the immune system and that's why big pharma, through government campaigns wants us all to quit..
(ffeeww, I managed to squeeze a conspiacy in.. : )
edit on 12/12/2011 by CriticalMess because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Became allergic to antibiotics after, more susceptible to coughs, less susceptible to colds and flu than everyone else in the household. You know as a mother you are usually pretty much in for anything everyone else brings in, but I seem to shrug it all off in a few hours of starting to feel iffy.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Speaking of antibiotics, never had it prescribed since 2008. Before that: 1-2 times a year since as far as I can remember.

But the way viruses use our genetic material to replicate made me think about the possible implications. I also read somewhere that a large part of our DNA reflects our biological history with pathogens.

Also to consider: As done with plants and animals in genetic research, you can create specific conditions to get the desired characteristics. In some way, viruses may have more far-reaching implications than nano-robots.

Little bit off-topic. Thinking aloud so to speak.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Perhaps it was the cigarettes that did not allow the virus to wreak havoc. There is some indication, I can't remember the source, (i know), that an exposure to H1N1 will foster a degree of immunity to H5N1.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
All I have to say is you have been chosen for the next breed of Super Humans.I am not lucky enough to have contracted such an illness.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

Yes I do see an increase in immunity levels. I haven't ever been prone to being sick very often at most 1-2 times a year. But since I had the swine flu I have not been sick at all. Except for the occasional sore throat but that is probably from smoking BL. The day I got sick was two days before a football game my senior, being the starting defensive end I told my coach I was getting sick, missed the practice the day before the game. The night before the game, my body continually goes from extremely hot to extremely cold. I lose 10 lbs in a single night. Show up to class the next day because my temperature had gone down to normal. But was probably just because I was dehydrated, I felt extremely woozy and go back home after my coach tells me to. My fever spikes to over 106 and so this is how I spent my weekend, and last home game of the season. Talking like a cancer patient to my now ex gf. My symptoms are all gone by the next monday. I go to practice the whole week and to the game, but it drained my body extensively and I didn't feel as up to par as I was before I was sick, lack of energy for the most part. This continued for about 2 weeks but i recovered almost to 100% by our last game of the regular season and we were able to pull out a win. I think the fact that I was exercising rigourosly was the reason I was able to recover so quickly but also at the same time could have been very dangerous.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by fredgbear
Perhaps it was the cigarettes that did not allow the virus to wreak havoc. There is some indication, I can't remember the source, (i know), that an exposure to H1N1 will foster a degree of immunity to H5N1.

Trust me. If the OP author had anything close to what I had, because whenever i would chew tobacco while I had H1N1 I would almost immediately if not after a couple minutes, start puking a lot. It wouldn't stop until i got the taste out of my mouth, including dry heaving stomach acid. Not pretty at all. It felt like my whole stomach was clenched into a fist.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
No, I had swine flu in summer 2010 and the doctor gave me tamiflu tablets. Then in January of this year I ended up with glandular fever and tonsilitus, hmm bad times! So no, I ain't no superhuman after swine flu lol.

new topics

top topics

join