It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Military Practicing Straits Of Hormuz Closure

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I´m suprised noone has yet to make a Thread,since this is a pretty significant Development. Anyway,here it is:

Iran Military Practicing Straits Of Hormuz Closure

Original Article on Reuters

Iran army declines comment on Hormuz exercise

A member of the Iranian parliament's National Security Committee said on Monday that the military was set to practise its ability to close the Gulf to shipping at the narrow Strait of Hormuz, the most important oil transit channel in the world, but there was no official confirmation.

The legislator, Parviz Sarvari, told the student news agency ISNA: "Soon we will hold a military manoeuvre on how to close the Strait of Hormuz. If the world wants to make the region insecure, we will make the world insecure."

Contacted by Reuters, a spokesman for the Iranian military declined to comment.

Iran's energy minister told Al Jazeera television last month that Tehran could use oil as a political tool in the event of any future conflict over its nuclear programme.

Tension over the programme has increased since the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reported on Nov. 8 that Tehran appears to have worked on designing a nuclear bomb and may still be pursuing research to that end. Iran strongly denies this and says it is developing nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.

Iran has warned it will respond to any attack by hitting Israel and U.S. interests in the Gulf and analysts say one way to retaliate would be to close the Strait of Hormuz.

About a third of all sea-borne shipped oil passed through the Strait in 2009, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA), and U.S. warships patrol the area to ensure safe passage.

This is a pretty major escalation if it turns out to be factual,which it likely is.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Wow. Now that is serious. This is putting them on the path to a military intervention.... Scary.
I really hope both sides back down before things escalate....

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I don't think its as bad as it sounds. But say it is. When push comes to shove do you think they would be able to block it if we really wanted to get through?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrStyx
I don't think its as bad as it sounds. But say it is. When push comes to shove do you think they would be able to block it if we really wanted to get through?

Not even a chance. NATO would bomb that straight into a desert before they let Iran take it over.. Its vital to world Oil Interest.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MrStyx

It doesn´t matter if they manage to hold a Blockade in the long run or not. If they decide to do it for real,than Oil will go trough the Roof and make the Debt-Crisis we have now even worse.

Threatening Iran at this Point in Time was pretty much suicidal since the Beginning.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It seems as serious as joking.

The whole invasion thing.

There will never be an invasion in near future or it must have been long ago.

The who allegations on both sides are just psychological war against the opposite side.

US is just taking the forces out of Iraq , not because Iraq had no oil to offer US , but because US govt is under strict pressure to bring the boys home and stop unnecessary invasion.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shenon
reply to post by MrStyx

It doesn´t matter if they manage to hold a Blockade in the long run or not. If they decide to do it for real,than Oil will go trough the Roof and make the Debt-Crisis we have now even worse.

Oh oil won't just go through the roof......

We will literally run out of gas in a matter of days. It would be a disaster. There must be a constant flow of Oil coming from the Mid East to keep up with Demand.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

Of course, if Iran seriously attempted to close the Straits then it would not be just NATO who would be involved. You can expect Saudi Arabia and UAE would be pretty miffed, as would Oman et al.

In the close confines of the Strait, Iran would not have a happy time even if NATO was uninvolved.

Regards

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Look at all the unfair sanctions they received from the world

its time they retaliate with only 1 sanctions it would be their best move

Syria and Russia will help Iran to control the SOH

We dont need anymore oil .. its time we focus more on the green free energy
and other free non polluant ressources

If they close the SOH ... they will help the entire world + Mother earth itself

WTH they are waiting for ..USA and Mossad has been attacking Iran for more then a yrs
with cover ops.. many huge explosions killed so far hundred of Iran guards... if not more
the drones continu to spy on them.. violating their airspace many times
+ the virus that infected the software of many power plants

How many billions of dollars they lost in all of this .. anyone though of that before ???
+ all the sanctions they have received
and yet .. they didnt retaliate at all

so its about damn time they prepare a plan to shut it up for the world sake
its the best they could do .. its always better then launching missiles and make an obvious war
with a hight certainty of defeat

The world will react like childrens .. when Iran close the SOH
crying about the oil route being closed .. SO UNFAIR

many dont know the real meaning of the UNFAIR word

Iran thumbs uo
if you close it
edit on 12/12/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Have you any idea the consequences of such an action?!
Its not even funny to joke.. Also I am surprised you are not afraid to say such things on the internet these days. I wouldn't express to much support for these guys openly... thats a one way ticket to guantamno...

Many innocent people would die in such a conflict.

I however agree with you, in that the only solution to our worlds oil problems, IS TO INVENT AN ALTERNATIVE!
We won't be able to invent one if World War 3 busts out though...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
There was a movie(Docudrama) back in the 80's that kind of fits the bill for this recent ramp up with Iran.
Count Down to Looking Glass

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
reply to post by Ben81

Have you any idea the consequences of such an action?!
Its not even funny to joke.. Also I am surprised you are not afraid to say such things on the internet these days. I wouldn't express to much support for these guys openly... thats a one way ticket to guantamno...

I however agree with you, in that the only solution to our worlds oil problems, IS TO INVENT AN ALTERNATIVE!
We won't be able to invent one if World War 3 busts out though...

What actions ? closing the SOH ??
it would be the best thing to happen to the world
maybe if the oil cost way to much to import ..
they will invest more in the free energy market

Cars and trucks will eventually be made without a fuel engine

the worst outcome will be WW3 ..
and it will NOT be Iran who start it
they have proven that so far

since 9/11 i have discovered whos the real tyran of our modern time
my lovely neighboor country the USA .. i love the USA like everyone else
but we have to open our eyes to know there is an evil entity in the US government RIGHT NOW ..
corrupted to the bones and will go wage wars thousand of milles aways for greedy reasons
paid by tax payers thinking the taxes and impot will be invested to construct/repair roads

if someone wants a WW3 its the zionist regime in Israel
wonder why everyone is afraid to attack it because of all the war crimes in Gaza they have commit
US if like the big bad bulldog ready to defend its master at any cost

I will never choose the tyran side
and i know well when i see one

VOTE RON PAUL 2012
Our only hope to clean up the corrupted branch in the government
so unfair wars killing innocents will never ever happen again

only RP can make the USA rise in its full beauty
edit on 12/12/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

actually the US is leaving Iraq because they refuse to keep our soldiers there. Bush made a deal to get out troops out years ago by the end of 2011, knowing we'd just push back the date later. Unfortunately for the administration, Iraq won't extend the deadline so the US has to leave. The US would stay forever but Iraq won't allow it. And being in Afghanistan still gives the US direct access to Iran's borders. With that being said, I'm pretty doubtful the US would choose to invade Iran. This isn't a country like Iraq or Afghanistan, Iran has China and Russia defending them because Iran sells them oil and that alone will keep the US out.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by truthinfact

Oil may go through the roof, but only for the time it takes to destroy the blockade. We wont run out. Everyone seems to forget while were out hording other countries oil we sit on stock piles of our own.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom
The whole invasion thing.
There will never be an invasion in near future or it must have been long ago.

100% agree, no one is discussing invading Iran. However, post the Israeli strike by summer I do think Iran will attempt to close the straight. It will take from about 8 days to 45 days for the US (et al) to clear the ability of Iran to do this by striking at the coast (offensive installations), RG, etc.

This will be primarily a airforce/navy/marine air problem, not marine group or army.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Closing SOH would hurt the US, but we have ample reserves of our own and we could change up our refinery practice to get us up to needed quantities fairly soon, however, closing SOH would be devastating to an already hurting Europe. I think Europe wouldn't hesitate to take military action to open SOH. And I'm not not sure China nor would Russia stop such an action from Europe. I think doing such an action would be a clear act of war and I don't think Russia and China are willing to defend Iran when they are the aggressor.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

China would see the biggest impact if the Straits are closed.

I don't think that they would stand for that.

The US could sit back and let China take the lead on that

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

....or....force the world to change its standard from oil to something else making the middle east all but worthless in the process. Oil is just the cheapest way right now......not the only way.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact
reply to post by Ben81

And how many innocent people have died already? When is enough enough?!

All of this needs to just stop....Too many people in all countries involved have died that have nothing to do with the higher ups in government and their insane decisions. They are just trying to survive...all over the world.

Ok I am not well versed in this but could someone in basic terms explain why this is bad? Again don't kill me I really don't know much about all this. I am just getting into all of this and it's quite confusing to keep up with all of this.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
ALSO....the US imports its largest supply of OIL from CANADA (38%). Oil speculation is scam. The US does have its own supply....can it keep up with demand....probably not. However, it is cheaper to buy foreign oil and refine it rather than refine our own.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join