It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU veto: Cameron says he negotiated in 'good faith'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

EU veto: Cameron says he negotiated in 'good faith'

www.bbc.co.uk

David Cameron has said he "genuinely looked to reach an agreement" on a EU Treaty but vetoed it because it was not in the UK's national interest.

Mr Cameron told MPs he negotiated in "good faith" and his demands were "modest, reasonable and relevant".

The prime minister said he vetoed because he did not secure "sufficient safeguards" on financial regulation.

There is no sign of his pro-European Deputy PM Nick Clegg, who usually sits alongside the PM in the Commons.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12/12/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Nick Clegg has made anti Cameron comments over the weekend regarding his stance on the European mess, and is now nowhere to be seen during the first question period since Cameron returned.

Is the coalition facing collapse? Will the European crisis bring down another European government before long?

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of the UK calling an election in the near future.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think it was a smart choice for the British to stay as far away from that EU mess as possibly. They are the only country in the EU that doesnt even use the euro, but rather the pound, Why should they bail out more European countries. Like Cameron sauid, it wasnt in Britains national interests. The British must know its only a matter of time before the EU implodes.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2011 by Glassbender777 because: Added too

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
The whole world is going to *. In five years the world won't be the same place you remember it now.
edit on 11/12/12 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
I think it was a smart choice for the British to stay as far away from that EU mess as possibly. They are the only country that doesnt even use the euro, but rather the pound, Why should they bail out more European countries. Like Cameron sauid, it wasnt in Britains national interests. The British must know its only a matter of time before the EU implodes.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

Definitely a smart choice. Now would be a good time to have a referendum on pulling out of Europe, so long as the Government stays intact long enough.

Looks like the whole Govt may be about to come down if Nick Clegg pulls out of coalition.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
i hate that any opinion against the EU is considered to be euroskeptic as if it were a bad thing to be.
and clegg is also getting some abuse for not speaking against the PM sooner.
a collapse may not be a bad thing long term, we need a stable government and for this we may need the current unstable government to fail.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Seems to me the entire press (well almost) is against Cameron, especially the BBC on this and yet everyone I know is in favour of the action he took, even those like me who despise him.

I almost throw on my tin foil hat that the whole stance is pushing people away from the EU not towards it, perhaps that is the method in this madness.

ETA.. I live in a deeply liberal area and never thought I would say this but at the moment I would say there is a great chance it would vote Tory if it came down to it.

edit on 12/12/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

All stage managed to look bad. its all a load of rubbish;same as the so called economic crisis.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

In this day and age the words stable and government cannot be used together in the same sentence unless using it in past tense. Remember when we used to have stable govt?? Lol

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

On the contrary, what is happening in the EU is uncontrolled and about as real as it gets. Personally I think cameron made the right decision and had no other option. It's unlikely the government will collapse anytime soon. There is far too much at risk to go down that path, and all sides know it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Not being funny but as soon as the dimwit came into power with his sex slave, there's been nothing but doom and gloom for us Brits. He's made devastating cuts which has crippled the economy, highest unemployment in years, lowest forecasted growth in years, the economy will contract by 1.5% either next year or year after and he's cutting our armed forces even though we're in Afghan plus looks like Iran.

Cant wait until he gets kicked out next election, one of the worst politician britain has had.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of the UK calling an election in the near future.

Well I would be surprised since they wrote a bit of legislation to make sure that didn't happen, so at the moment for it to happen Cameron would have to vote no confidence in himself, aside from that he could in theory form a party and go it alone. However at the moment I believe he has the overall backing (rightly or wrongly) of the British people (not on the banks but saying no to the EU)

However a Forbes article I read mentioned how the sstorm was glossing over the fact that EU could not agree on how to fix the here and now crisis, only agree on how to fix it long term. So the argument could be made that this is false media hype to hide the fact they have no solutions.

and if you are the type of person who believes what it says on the tin, then this FU (Fiscal Union) treaty will do what it says.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by listerofsmeg

In this day and age the words stable and government cannot be used together in the same sentence unless using it in past tense. Remember when we used to have stable govt?? Lol

Yup. It was called the first two terms of Thatcherism and the first two terms under Tony Blair. Look at what that got Britain into. lol

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

yeah, we got sold out alot faster but that was a labour gov, im not for that. although im not really for the conservatives either but a stable gov is better than clegg 'n' cameron bitching all the time.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

No chance will the coalition collapse. Although only a poll, the latest shows that the LibDems have even slipped below UKIP. If they break up the coalition, they face the very real threat of being effectively destroyed as a main stream party.

In other words, they will talk big until the next elections but government will go on as usual.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
The whole world is going to *. In five years the world won't be the same place you remember it now.
edit on 11/12/12 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

I agree, and said almost exactly the same thing to someone at work today while we were talking about the financial crisis: 5 years from now, western society will be completely different.

Things are escalating exponentially on all fronts. Sadly though, people don't seem to be waking up exponentially.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Anyone else think that this is all about a new world currency and order?

The euro is dead you don't keep plowing debt into debt! However I think
Cameron is right in trying to safeguard our future.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Also, and far more importantly, nothing was actually really agreed at the summit last week. It is basically just a rehashing of what has already been discussed and the penalties they are talking about are a total joke.

Greece will not be able to abide by the proposed changes - it is too far down the road. As a result, they will be penalised under what was being discussed last week. Does anyone really think they will have any money to pay any fines?

Im sorry for the laughing head but come on, the whole thing is a joke that has basically bought another week or two of time without solving anything. Wait a while and we will be here again, with more urgent crisis talks to avoid disaster.

Next year is even more fun as all the massive government debts taken on in 2008 come up for maturity. I am willing to have a friendly bet on here that at least one (and probably a couple) of nations will default on those loans......

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It's not a stable government Britain needs it is a choice of government.

The only difference between the cons, lab or lib is the clothes they wear and I am pretty sure cameron and clegg share underware.

We have no real choice as the have all moved to the centre to get elected.
We have no choice because whatever they say they stand for after the elections none of them stick to promises.

cameron and clegg will hold onto power for as long as their greedy hands can grip onto it.

We are in the crapper and hoping another bunch of self serving egotists will get us out of it is desperation in deed.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Regarding Deputy PM Nick Clegg , be under no illusion , he is a career politician. I think he will in time cross to the Tories and be given a safe seat . He will be hated so much by his own party and all the LibDem voters, notice he was absent from Parliament today as Cameron gave his defence of his Euro veto.
He looks ill at ease in the house during PMs questions every week not laughing along with the Tory japes and quick retorts. I said one year in to the coalition that I doubted it would get to the end of five years intact, we will see.

Chris Huhne and this driving / speeding farce thing , the time factor STINKS anyone else would have been dealt with weeks ago , more shinanigans for sure.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join