It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic Gardening 101 | How to Start One & How to tell-Genetically Modified foods-

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Good morning everyone- I started to put this in the Survival thread as I feel it is very valuable info for that type of scenario however, as I checked the attached newstory links at the end of the article, there was more info that made me put it here-for hopes more will see and/or appreciate. Honestly, I really never cared before but as I get older-and WISER I now know why my parents always did gardens and natural stuff (must have worked-in their 80's). So without further ado/ Check the story and others I include/highlight and Please let us know what you know.... Enjoy:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Organic Gardening 101 | How to Start an Organic Garden

One great way to avoid the threat of genetically modified foods, pesticides, and toxic additives is to start your own organic garden. While the garden can be as large or small as you’d like, the benefit of knowing exactly how your food was prepared and therefore what is in it is worth the time and effort that goes into it. As you will soon find, it is actually relatively simple to begin your first organic gardening.

Step 1: Planning Your Garden

Before you begin purchasing seeds and deciding on what you’d like to plant, you need to both establish goals for your garden as well as learn about how to effectively avoid low quality seeds and plants. Is your garden intended to feed you and your family for months at a time? If so, it still may be beneficial to start with a smaller garden at first to practice your technique. Regardless of the size, it is pertinent that you are using the right seeds. It is preferable that you purchase high quality certified organic seeds that are not genetically modified.

Step 2: Setting Your Garden

Whether it’s in your window sill in a few small to large sized pots or your back yard, it’s time to analyze a few key factors when it comes to placing your garden. Keeping your size goals in mind, it’s time to determine the best place for your new organic garden. If it’s an herb or vegetable garden you’ve got in mind, you’ll need a site that gets at least six hours of sun per day. It is also important to make sure that wherever you place the plant offers sufficient draining abilities. If your prospective area receives a large quantity of rain that is not easily drained and rerouted, then that is less than optimal and you may want to consider changing the setting. Herbs and vegetables prefer well-drained soil. If it’s an ornamental bed, consider placing it where you can enjoy it from inside your house as well.

Step 3: Planting

Once you have your plants, dig a hole just as deep and at least twice as wide as the root ball of your plant. Place your plant in the prepared area, and backfill with the soil you just removed. Tamp it in, and make sure to water it thoroughly. A thoroughly watered root ball will help your plant adjust better to its new surroundings and help to avoid transplant shot.

Source: naturalsociety.com...
Website link: naturalsociety.com...

Some other links to interesting related stories:

How to Know if Your Food is Conventional, Organic, or Genetically Modified

These days genetic modification of the food supply is rather prevalent. With genetic modification being linked to sterility and infant mortality, it is something that should be avoided at all costs. Unfortunately, food products containing genetically modified organisms are often not properly labeled, leading to unknowing consumption of genetically modified ingredients. Learn how to identify which products are genetically modified, and avoid this major health risk.

naturalsociety.com...

Killing the Food Supply: The Dangers of Genetically Modified Food

Genetically modified food has entered the food supply through secrecy and deception. Some claimed that genetically modifying the food supply could even put an end to world hunger. At first glance, genetic modification really does look like a great idea. It allows for larger crops, enhanced growing seasons, and even bigger animals. The truth of the matter is that genetically modified food has been shown to sterilize the population, lead to infant mortality, and exacerbate the usage of pesticides on a

New Genetically Modified Creation Threatens Health, Environment

It has been nearly 20 years since genetically modified ingredients were first introduced in America. Since then, scientists have used genetic engineering to create horrifying animal hybrids. Scientists have borrowed genes from a jellyfish to make other organisms glow, and have even implanted spider genes in goats as a means of creating super-strength silk. Now, the US is following a similar path, with the FDA considering genetically modified (GM) salmon for approval.

So, there you have a good start. Please. Check it out and let us know what you think or what you know. Sounds to me like we better start watching EVERYTHING we consume and where it comes from etc-if you don't already.
edit on 12/12/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Oh that's great teach people to be a terrorist...

J/K Great post, I am going to print this out, my wife wants an organic garden. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I'm going with Aquaponics for 2012 starting with a small aquarium setup. If this goes successfully then I'm going family sized and after that maybe even commercial or non profit.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MrStyx

Aquaponics is the way. We are doing this also but we are going to start big. You can do it too. We are going to be using a small pool and plan to grow mostly water cress and other lettuces as they do well in a wet enviroment. i have plenty of property to grow food that does well in soil so my AP set up will be just for fish and salad. Remember to keep it simple. Imagine if most of us were growing our own. Happy farming!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The wife said a couple of people at work got to doing this and have produced some great looking items.

I am not a big veggie eater but as one grows older... those taste change (for life, living, or surviving).

It can't hurt to try it once to the point of being able to do it. You never know........

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

One more tip - if you start with seeds instead of bedding plants you have a better chance of controlling the GM/GE influence. Look around for "heritage seeds" - then save them to use year after year.

Plus - the benefits of gardening go way beyond just good and better, healthier food. Try it and see.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thank you for the tip(s). We are looking forward to doing it.

I made a space for everything. I think the wife has got the low-down on seeds etc.

With the way things seem to be going now-a-days, this couldn't hurt and maybe a life saver.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

With the way things seem to be going now-a-days, this couldn't hurt and maybe a life saver.

True. ....and don't forget about sprouting during winter, plus that all important vertical hydroponics garden in the window.

(Haven't done it myself yet, but planning....)

new topics

top topics

join