It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.55am and the phone with no sim card in starts to ring!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I don't believe a phone cell phone can receive a call w/o a sim card....but my years of cell phone experience has yet to qualify me as an expert. My logical guess would be a previously set alarm, that had a ringtone as the buzzer.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

Originally posted by Fox Molder
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I've seen it done, a CMOS battery can be used to power a cell phone. Just ask CSIS !!!

Sure. Ok. You could modify a phone to be powered off a CMOS battery for like, 10 seconds before the battery failed.

I'll give you this - it COULD be done.

A stock phone (I'm assuming) randomly being powered on by a battery that isn't even physically connected to the phone's power center? Improbable, at best.

Have you tested today's CMOS batteries in the new model Android phones and iPhones....Those things are powerful enough to keep your phone fully working for 30 minutes.

just saying what I was taught in a security course at CSIS. I've been in the Telecom business for 17 years and working with cell phones all this time, from every company using TDMA to the big split to TDMA and CDMA then Sat phones and GPRS and now HSPS over GPRS. From the Motorola bag phones to the latest Blackberry on an Enterprise server.

P.S. Anyone investing their money right now might want to invest in RIM/BlackBerry....The Enterprise server is going to mutate and be open to ALL devices with an Enterprise license of course.....

Oh and the main reason that the CMOS batteries are getting stronger and stronger is for all the GPS accommodations. The law will change soon and will require that cell phones work on a "dead" battery so that the GPS functions can be accessed by the user and the emergency first responders.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by dooleysleftleg

Was probably a tele sales operator, they just never give up!!

Almost spit out my coffee on this one

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
When i had straight talk(walmart) my phone would go off every night at 3:33am saying i had a new voicemail. The voicemail would be nothing, for a second long. When i switched providers it happened again at 3:33am but only the first night with my new provider/phone.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Something along that line has happened to me. To bring you up to speed. I was in a relationship for 7yrs, had two amazing kids with her. She got heavily into to drugs, I had to make a hard decision and end the relationship with my kids in mind. We have been apart for 2yrs. I took custody of the kids. On Aug. 1, 2011 she hung herself. 2 weeks before my daughter's birthday. I work from home. On Nov. 14th (my birthday) I was sitting at my desk, and the answering machine picked up without the phone ringing. I heard static at first, and I replayed it. It said "I just called to say Hi" It's still on there, I haven't erased it. Trying to figure out how it was possible. I know it's her voice....

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Hi,OP here. Ive read and reread through everyones responses and some are really interesting and well thought out. Just to clarify events my friend had swapped phones 3 days previous and turned the old phone off and through laziness just put it under the sofa.There was NO sim but there was a battery inside. He says it was switched off but could have accidentally not been,we dont know!! The odd thing and the reason he panicked so much was this noise awoke him,it was dark and the middle of the night,3.55am. He his a straight laced kind of guy,not prone to BS but does have beliefs in things 'paranormal' so I can see why he would be unnerved. I personally would have answered the phone myself but he thought he would hear 'the devil himself' or such like so his immediate reaction was to rip the battery out. It was still lying there with the battery at its side when I looked. Now I thought about the alarm possibility but it was an actual call with a withheld number! Ive really no reason to question any of this and I went through it 7 times with him and once on the phone earlier and his story never wavered. I also wondered what kind of technology is out there with phones and recieving signals etc if someone wanted to use a mobile/cell phone for spying purposes and have heard they can be remotely activated etc but cant for the life of me think why my friend would be of interest to anyone official!! Hope that clears a few things up, Im not making this up, I dont think my friend is but I thought it would be of interest and showed signs of being a paranormal event if your of that mindset so thought it would be interesting!! Please ask any other questions and il relay them to him......nothing else of interest has ever happened to him as regards spooky incidents except hearing a voice before dropping to sleep at his old house,years ago(probably dreaming).

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Could the handset have been active on a PTT (Push To Talk) network? I'm not sure but I think PTT might still work once the sim is removed. I'm not sure if the handset would ring though?

Most Nokia Symbian handsets are PTT capable. PTT VoIP apps are available on Iphones and Android.

Incidentally A VoIP call would not require a sim card if a data connection was active (ie WIFI). I'm pretty sure you can withhold your VoIP or Skype number.

PTT, for those who don't know, switches a cellphone from full duplex operation to half duplex or more like a walkie talkie/CB Radio etc.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12/12/2011 by Grifter81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

wasn't there a movie or something made like that???

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder

Originally posted by Raivan31
A mobile phone can send and recieve a signal without a battery attached.
The people who 'invented' the modern 'cell' phone do not know or understand how this happens.

A little food for thought.

Makes you wonder where that technology comes from.

And you have one right there.

Wonder what else it can do.
Bet your lookin at your phone right now.

Wonder if it's lookin back

It's called the CMOS battery, it makes sure that the time and date and any contacts in your cell phone don't disappear when you take your battery and SIM card out. The phone's firmware stays intact also because of the CMOS battery. This is how your phone can send and receive signals when it is apparently turned off and the battery and SIM card are taken off.

It's not rocket science.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Fox Molder because: (no reason given)

I seriously doubt that the CMOS battery has enough power for signal transmitting.
If the battery is taken out I doubt any cellphone will make use of the antenna at all.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

A mobile phone can send and recieve a signal without a battery attached.

A source please?

A normal cellphone antenna requires a powerful battery to be able to transmit a signal. The sound you hear in nearby speakers is because of the strong electromagnetic field generated under the transmission, it just can't do that without a battery.

The people who 'invented' the modern 'cell' phone do not know or understand how this happens.

This is pure speculation from your side.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
It was Lawnmower Man LOL!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The fact that you said he went and hid under his covers makes me seriously doubt your story, what kind of grown man hides under bed sheets? Yes this thin piece of linen will protect us from that mean old bogey man.

First thing I would have done was answer the phone and be like WTH u doing calling at this hour, without giving the fact it had no sim card a second thought.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

In a situation like that I'd answer the phone. Obviously someone was trying to reach me. Good story, though. I enjoyed reading it.

edit on 12-12-2011 by 0cryptic0truth0 because: Grammar

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Corpsehoagie

A friend of mine has the same thing happen every night too,oddly her's occurs at 334 am.If i remember correctly she has sprint I believe.As for the op...yeah I'm not buying it.What grown man or teenager gets freaked out by a cell phone ringing in the middle of the night?! As someone else suggested..the phone was probably switched on and he didn't realize it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have had a couple of experiences in the past. One particular one that has left a mark in my memory.

As a fire risk preventive, I turn my computer off, including the wireless and modem when I am not using it. So I was shocked to find that when I woke up one morning to find my computer on with 40 tabs opened from my bookmark's page I was shocked and surprised. The wireless button on the computer and modem were turned off. I can only think that someone has hacked into my computer overnight. Though I am a little befuddled as to how they got by the wireless being turned off. At the time I did review the history of use via my provider, there was no indication that it was in use at that time.

Could be paranormal or could be a hacker. IDK.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Did you happen to watch an unlabeled video tape about a week ago?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
When I enslaved myself to a new 2 year contract with my provider, I naturally switched the sim card to my new phone. No longer needing my old phone, I turned it off. A few minutes later it turned itself back on. Can anyone explain that? This happened a couple times before I removed the battery. To my knowledge it hasn't come back on since lol.

edit on 12-12-2011 by willzilla because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2011 by willzilla because: grammar

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65
Maybe somebody has set your friend up .
Somebody could have set an alarm on his phone to go off at a certain time , using his ringtone as the alarm .....Simples .

Terry

That is honestly a really good explanation. Also, I can't understand why it would scare the OP's friend to the point where they rip the battery out and throw it. Am I the only one who would have been checking it out, trying to answer it and figure out what was going on?

On second thought, maybe it is good they did not answer it. It could have been the ring, calling to warn them that they only have 7 days to live.

edit on 12-12-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SecuritySeeker

I am sad for the death of your partner and the mother of your Children. What happened is very real and it is a sign that communication is possible from all dimensions. I have seen and heard and I believe - does not mean I understand but I research and am open to understanding.

What you have on tape is very special - she must have been very troubled and in great psychological pain to attempt suicide and succeed. She is now at peace and her communication may be to let you know she cares and now that she is not in pain - she is watching over you and the Children. I think that is a beautiful option to the sad one of endless grief.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DonaldD

My computer is monitored because I am published. I can sense your concern as to what is happening with your computer. I turn mine off at the power as well to allay the faraday effect in my home.

You could be being monitored or you could be located in a spot where there is a lot of electrical convergence. What with HAARP, DARPA and GWEN and and all the government and military technology that we know nothing of - it could be anything. My theory is that we are all being watched and that many will be monitored.

If you work it out please share your find.

Much Peace...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join