It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3.55am and the phone with no sim card in starts to ring!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
A mobile phone can send and recieve a signal without a battery attached.
The people who 'invented' the modern 'cell' phone do not know or understand how this happens.

A little food for thought.

Makes you wonder where that technology comes from.

And you have one right there.

Wonder what else it can do.

Bet your lookin at your phone right now.

Wonder if it's lookin back

I wonder if a small RFID chip that could access power from the surrounding area could beone possibility.... I believe this is in the works where batteries would not be needed.

After all Tesla would power light bulbs with electricity delivered through the ground!

edit on 12-12-2011 by fnpmitchreturns because: syntax

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I must have had hundreds of paranormal events in my life if this is one lol

I cant remember how many times electrical products have acted weird....got to be ghosts or aliens though
That is the only logical explanation....right???

Your friend ran away and hid in his bed?? Is that normal behavior if his phone rings? Very strange indeed

I personally believe your friend is a) Making it up b) Exaggerating what happened

THE PHONE HAD A BATTERY IN IT.....

"It was all lit up,with a phone call being recieved with a withheld number,he hurredly took the back off,removed the battery and threw the phone back under the sofa and hid under his covers."

A phone with a battery in, ringing, is not paranormal

Why is everyone neglecting to read the OP properly?? Making something out of nothing, to build their ego's me thinks

edit on 12-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: edited to make some writing bigger as people are reading what they like into this story

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I find it hilarious that a ringing cell phone can make a grown man shiver in fear, run away and hide under the covers.

CMOS battery should not power the phone at all - but I still doubt it was a ghost.

To be honest this is a campfire story at best, there is no way to prove it true or false, but it's so unlikely as told that I doubt it's 100% true.

ETA:

All cell phones are wired for emergency service. They are receiving a cellular signal 100% of the time they are within range. Could your friend have left the alarm on the phone on? Could it have been some other notification?

This sounds like a case for Scooby Doo!
edit on 12-12-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
reply to post by snewpers

I like your question - what makes it paranormal?
What makes anything paranormal?
My guess is anything outside the realm of tangible evidence?
Something that is of an esoteric nature rather than a terrestrial nature?

How did I do?

Much Peace...

You did just great, except you forgot to answer my question.
You gave a great definition of 'paranormal events', but I asked
what made this event a paranormal one?

The cell had a battery, it didn't have a SIM in it. So it could be
a technical glitch that I/we are not aware of.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
is your friend a public official or does he interact with one?
could be an expanation. did you know that cell phones can be used to record and can be usefull interception tools even without a simcard?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
reply to post by Fox Molder

Can you explain to me how a mobile phone can operate without a battery and sim card?
Why do we need them if they can operate without?

Thank you.

Amanda5

The CMOS battery is only a "stand by" battery, it's not made to be a fully operational battery but it can be used to send and receive a small amount of data such as GPS coordinates or triangulation of the said cell phone. I have seen coders use the CMOS battery power in a phone to make simulated 911 calls, it's just a matter of hitting the right key strokes.

Same deal with the SIM card. Take it out and dial 911 and you will get through. Take an out of service phone and dial 911, same thing. It's an open channel and by law is to stay available to any and all cell phones.

I used to reprogram the emergency key ( 9 ) on my Nokia 6185 model cell phone, remove the 911 programming and replace it by 5 long distance numbers I'd program in the phone, when I'd hit the 9 key I'd be prompted to pick one of the 5 numbers then I'd select and make my FREE long distance call using the emergency 911 channel.

Now that being said. anyone with enough cell phone knowledge can use a cell phone with no battery or SIM card to make and receive calls. it's just a matter of knowing the proper coding.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I've seen it done, a CMOS battery can be used to power a cell phone. Just ask CSIS !!!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I'm not talking about cmos, it just keeps the heart beating to prevent brain death (so to speak)
It does not give enough power to send signals, recieve them maybe but not to send. (nothing signifigant anyway)

And i'm not going to go talking about who told me this, suffice to say, you sometimes meet some interesting people and sometimes those people will talk to a bum living in the street.

A man who drives a mercedes and wears armarni is not generally considered to be crazy.
But a guy living on the street with tattered clothes and no money is generally considered to be invisible and unimportant.

You all should try being completely destitute sometime, you meet some interesting people

As to the quality of the information, well who knows. But he seemed sincere and i was free therapy, therapy that wouldn't go talking to people about him.

The guy gave me some money to eat and find a place to stay so i'm not gonna diss him.

But like i said. maybe he was full of poop.
But he did have some very interesting things to say, very interesting. I didn't understand most of it but he did explain the various things from the post's above and explained that a phone (some kinds anyway) could do even more.
Fascinating if it's true.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2011 by Raivan31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

reply to post by Raivan31

No need...it already had its battery in it.

"It was all lit up,with a phone call being recieved with a withheld number,he hurredly took the back off,removed the battery and threw the phone back under the sofa and hid under his covers."

Come on guys and girls....read the op properly, there was never any question that the battery was not in the phone when it "was ringing".

edit on 12-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Sorry about that. I was calling your friend to tell him that a room in the Murdoch Hotel as been booked for 21st december 2012(till infinity). Didn't have his new number.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

The person in question believed that the phone could not function without a battery AND a sim card. It freaked him out and that can happen.

I am still amazed that mobile phones can function without a battery or sim card - cool. I would have paid much more attention to the science teacher at school if he had been demonstrating things related to this thread! Don't relax too much - stuff does happen with electrical equipment - I have seen and was not alone.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Wow, a phone without a SIM in it was ringing, call the ghostbusters!

How does your friend manage to function in every day life when he is terrified by completely mundane events? I'd hate to be around when the toaster pops up toast without anyone touching it, or his kettle starts to whistle.

A healthy adult brain upon seeing this happen to the phone would think "oh, so obviously the phone can still function without the SIM" instead of "holy crap, I'm being contacted by demons who will possess me and damn me to hell if I answer it, better soil myself and run away".
edit on 12-12-2011 by humphreysjim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by snewpers

I know that I have been led to believe that a mobile phone needs a sim card and a battery. When a piece of technology starts to operate on its own - or what you perceive to be on its own - then that tends toward the paranormal.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
A mobile phone can send and recieve a signal without a battery attached.
The people who 'invented' the modern 'cell' phone do not know or understand how this happens.

A little food for thought.

Makes you wonder where that technology comes from.

And you have one right there.

Wonder what else it can do.

Bet your lookin at your phone right now.

Wonder if it's lookin back

Do you have a source for this information please or is it just urban myth?
2nd
edit on 12-12-2011 by chaztekno because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I've seen it done, a CMOS battery can be used to power a cell phone. Just ask CSIS !!!

Sure. Ok. You could modify a phone to be powered off a CMOS battery for like, 10 seconds before the battery failed.

I'll give you this - it COULD be done.

A stock phone (I'm assuming) randomly being powered on by a battery that isn't even physically connected to the phone's power center? Improbable, at best.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Please everyone stop saying there was no battery in the phone.

Reread the OP, the battery was in the phone!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The phone HAD the battery in it.

GSM phones (AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, etc) use SIM cards to store information about the carrier and also your phone book, logs, etc. However, GSM phones do NOT need a SIM card to work.

CDMA/1x phones (Nextel, Virgin, Verizon, etc) do not use SIMM cards. They don't even take em.

Also, it is not unheard of for cell phones to turn themselves on or off. A defective battery could do it. As was stated, the phone was under a couch. Perhaps static or something ended up turning the phone on?

Oh.. and unlisted numbers are usually collection agencies or bill collectors calling. It's not at all impossible that one of these places got your friends number and called. The time wouldn't matter, they don't care.

All in all, I would say your friend needs to calm down. Its just a phone that rang. Story would be more interesting if the phone was 100% off, with no batter or no sim card at all. But as stated, the phone DID have a battery in it. So all we have here is a phone that managed to turn itself on and someone called it. Hell the call could have come from the carrier themselves. Sometimes carriers send out auto messages trying to get you to back on their plans.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Turned off and no sim card and still ringing? I would've beaten the thing with a hammer I would've been so scared. Still, could it have possibly gotten accidentally turned on and then been an automated call from one of the phone company's minion towers to be sure the sim card and number was taken out of commission?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

It's also just an assumption that the phone was off. It's extremely plausible that he thought he turned it off but didn't, either by mistake or he's just remembering wrong.

He may have just assumed it was off because he took out the SIM.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
So, wait a minute.

First, the mobile is under the couch with no sim card, and switched off,
but when he then hears it, its not under the couch anymore??

And then he throws it under the couch again?

Oh, and why turn off your phone, take out your sim card, then turn on the phone again, to place it under the couch?
hmm.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join