It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Shuts Down Syrian TV Page after Uploading Video Showing ABC's Manipulation of Interview wi

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Facebook Shuts Down Syrian TV Page after Uploading Video Showing ABC's Manipulation of Interview with President al-Assad

www.sana.sy

In an attempt to suppress the truth and in violation of the Syrians' right to self expression, Facebook adminsitraiton on Friday shut down the official page of the Syrian TV.

This step was taken after a video of a press conference by Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Ministry Spokesman Jihad Makdessi was uploaded on the page. The conference showed how the US TV channel ABC manipulated the content of their interview with President Bashar al-Assad and distorted it through editing and omission.

In response to this, Syrians on Facebook started a new page dedicated to the Syrian TV.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I watched the the ABC version and the unedited version and this article appears to have hold some truth to it.

I'm not defending Assad's brutal crackdown, but I am considering the possibility that the media is putting it's own spin on things to make things appear worse than they really are, and portraying the events that are unfolding in a certain way in which benefits certain interests.

I will let you judge for yourselves.

Here is the ABC version that was aired:

Here is the unedited version:

Facebook is nothing more than a useful tool for the propaganda machine that also likes to mine your data. Stories like this definitely help prove it. Hey Mark Zuckerberg, which agency told you to take this channel down?

www.sana.sy
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Facebook is nothing more than a useful too for the propaganda machine. Stories like this definitely prove it. Hey Mark Zuckerberg, which agency told you to take this channel down?

Wasn't it already posted some while back on ATS that Facebook was admitted to be used by CIA and NSA because of its massive manipulation potential?

I'm pretty sure the one that deals with foreign countries that don't follow western interests is the one you're looking for.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Oracle

I believe there have been several threads pointing out this probability. In my opinion there is no doubt that Facebook is a data mining tool for the highest bidder. I have nothing to hide so I'm not too bothered by it since they monitor every aspect of our life anyways.

Sometimes I consider cancelling my Facebook account and all my other media site memberships but then I realize the only way to truly fall off the radar is to get completely off the grid which I'm unable to do.

It does disturb me that Facebook would so blatantly try and censor certain information. All this does is point out what they really are. Thanks for making it easy FB.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
So wait.. You acknowledge Facebook is being meddled by CIA and the information there is being 'sold', yet you still hold on to your Facebook accounts?
Huh?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Seriously..... This guys name is jihad?
really?!?
Jihad?
The mans name means 'holy war', are effing kidding me?

Back on topic though.

Yep this sure does appear to be pretty messed up.

It's things like this that make me constantly flip flop between "Conspiracy theorists are nutters" and "wait a minute these guys are onto something, no wonder they seem crazy, what they know is crazy"

We live in such a beautiful world don't we?

Maybe letting the crazies outta their straight-jackets and putting them on the non-crazies would be the sanest thing we could possibly do.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsraeliGuy
So wait.. You acknowledge Facebook is being meddled by CIA and the information there is being 'sold', yet you still hold on to your Facebook accounts?
Huh?

Try this for poo's and giggles.

Make a status update and set it from public to "only me" and write a little hello message to the C.I.A.

I asked for a job, something tells me i won't get it

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

I just noticed his first name was Jihad!

That is a weird coincidence...

He is a government spokesman, perhaps the name has another meaning. I'm curious now.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I hate the word "sheeple", mostly because of smug, morose adolescents overusing it. But I have often seen people ask, "What are 'sheeple'?"

That is easy: anyone with a Facebook account.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
She keeps asking the same question, the same exact question, over.. and over, and over. For 5 minutes straight. I can't even stomach it, really.

Why is this old bat being sent to the middle-east to make accusations? To be perfectly honest, she doesn't even seem competent. She's slow, she talks like she is on psychotropic medications and repeats ad nauseum her same questions regarding the "crackdown".

I don't really care one iota about the events taken place in Syria, as I have no business with it, but it's certainly not a good state of affairs. Nevertheless, there shouldn't be a senile old bat sitting down with the president, being a disrespectful idiot. It's irresponsible, and it's dangerous. People need to start embracing a non-interventionist state of mind, because the iron-curtain has dropped, and everyone thinks for themselves now. Some of the old imperialists don't want to let this go.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I hate the word "sheeple", mostly because of smug, morose adolescents overusing it. But I have often seen people ask, "What are 'sheeple'?"

Well, I hate to break it to you FurryTexan...unless you're in your mom's basement on her internet connection, chances are that your internet is in your name and the said agencies don't need Facebook to track you if they really wanted to. I'm assuming you have a social security number, bank account, bills in your name... which would also qualify you as a sheep person if we were to use your logic.

No offense BTW

Perhaps I took your comment out of context, but it rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I overreacted, who knows.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

The full 45 minute clip is difficult to watch as well.

The Western media has a horrible habit of setting up interviews between fools and dictators. This interview was different, but still reminded me of Mahmoud and Larry King.

I think Barbara's production team did a better job at filtering out the parts that they deemed "unimportant". I think the West learned a lesson from the Mahmoud interview, they will never let a world leader speak their own version of what they consider the truth in the media ever again.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

On Pirate Bay you can download the personal info of 100 million FB users.

People make it a habit to track you on facebook. I have known people like this, who are just a little touch of crazy.

Sure, Uncle Sam can find me. But I don't have to give him the keys to my house, do i?

The internet is not for real life. Mixing the two usually has disastrous consequences.

No, i wasn't meaning to offend.
Just putting in my two cents.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

The only way to win the game is to play the game better then them. You think hiding is working for you? LOL.

I'd rather put my information up and filter it as I deem necessary, meaning I put up what I want the world to see and that's it, then sit and hide and pretend I am safe.
They can mine the crap out of my information, they won't get much out of it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks for clarifying

And sorry for the misunderstanding. Now that I look back I did kind of overreact.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I agree with BFFT - Facebook is no bueno.

I also agree mostly that if you want to find "sheeple" look no further than facebook.

Regardless of what other means there are to track you, FB is 100% voluntary. You are sending the message that you don't mind, you are getting used to the idea that you are watched all the time. You are ok with it. Sadly, it's very hard to go completely off grid, so yes, you may still be tracked through other means, but none are as expansive, and comprehensive as FB. Those who are watching aren't going to know all your friends, and be able to build a timeline of where you usually are based on your cable account, or your bank account. They can definitely do this through FB though.

So there are people who know all this yet continue to SUPPORT Facebook. That is the very definition of sheeple.

When I want to talk to my friends, or want to know what is going on in their life, or want them to know what's happening in mine, I pick up the phone, or a pen and paper, or take a trip to their house. The only way to end FB is to stop supporting it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

People make it a habit to track you on facebook. I have known people like this, who are just a little touch of crazy.

Sure, Uncle Sam can find me. But I don't have to give him the keys to my house, do i?

The internet is not for real life. Mixing the two usually has disastrous consequences.

I can visit the profile of 100 million users manually, the fact the information is mined with a robot is no surprise, so is every web site ever built via GoogleBot, MSNBot and more.
People tracking other people is not reall scary. If someone wants to find me, go for it.
I never give the keys to my house to anyone but they sure can visit my profile.

Internet is part of real life, I make a living off of it. The money I make is real, the information I gather and put on the internet is also real. If I decided that the internet was not real life, I guess i'd be jobless eh?

Seriously, your logic is failing on every count here and you are not giving one good reason to stay off facebook. All your doing is trying to act like your better then everyone who has an FB profile. I bet 10 bucks you actually do have an account, you just like to pretend your not to seem better for some strange reason.

Psychologically scary if you ask me.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I hate to be the voice of reason, yet again...but Western media and citizens need to lay OFF the Gotcha games and political screwing around in every situation. Assad KNOWS he may die before New Years...and likely won't see another one, regardless. He has Mubarak and Gadaffi to look to as inspiration...Or Saddam if he's really feels depressed about things...

Youtube may have just been outright told... Lose the video or lose lives. Period. Full stop. If the video making our President isn't taken down, we'll see what Google employees may be around Syria to punish. That wouldn't shock me a bit. It's as bad as the Occupy people though... Tactics aren't a problem unless you have REAL naive people doing these things and then sitting back like surprised morons when things don't go like their dream the night before SAID they should.

Surprise... Assad is a dangerous man. He didn't get there and take the job from Dear 'Ol Dad without some serious blood flowing over his hands..and now he's almost to the end of the line with nothing left to lose. ABC may be lucky they didn't have people arrested or shot as it is...given who and where this incident happened. Just because they are American doesn't mean they are IN America everywhere they go...and "rights" don't mean a damn thing in most of the world...even for the media.

edit on 12-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
I agree with BFFT - Facebook is no bueno.

I also agree mostly that if you want to find "sheeple" look no further than facebook.

Regardless of what other means there are to track you, FB is 100% voluntary. You are sending the message that you don't mind, you are getting used to the idea that you are watched all the time. You are ok with it. Sadly, it's very hard to go completely off grid, so yes, you may still be tracked through other means, but none are as expansive, and comprehensive as FB. Those who are watching aren't going to know all your friends, and be able to build a timeline of where you usually are based on your cable account, or your bank account. They can definitely do this through FB though.

So there are people who know all this yet continue to SUPPORT Facebook. That is the very definition of sheeple.

When I want to talk to my friends, or want to know what is going on in their life, or want them to know what's happening in mine, I pick up the phone, or a pen and paper, or take a trip to their house. The only way to end FB is to stop supporting it.

You think Google is not as expansive as facebook for people profiling? BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA....wow that's freakin hilarious. MySpace? Linked In? Jeez their are so many I guess the CIA runs them all or is it just FB?

Gimme a break. If i want information on someone FB is the last place I go, Google is the first. FB is a page generated by the user, built by the user, filtered by the user. I want information a user doesnt want me to see, FB's granular controls do not allow much of that, Google has no privacy controls. Search your name you will find out lots about yourself on line, then find out what monikers you used and google them.

You will be surprised how much of your information is out there, on FB or not.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by EspyderMan

I can visit the profile of 100 million users manually, the fact the information is mined with a robot is no surprise, so is every web site ever built via GoogleBot, MSNBot and more.
People tracking other people is not reall scary. If someone wants to find me, go for it.
I never give the keys to my house to anyone but they sure can visit my profile.

Internet is part of real life, I make a living off of it. The money I make is real, the information I gather and put on the internet is also real. If I decided that the internet was not real life, I guess i'd be jobless eh?

Seriously, your logic is failing on every count here and you are not giving one good reason to stay off facebook. All your doing is trying to act like your better then everyone who has an FB profile. I bet 10 bucks you actually do have an account, you just like to pretend your not to seem better for some strange reason.

Psychologically scary if you ask me.

Why would he lie about his FB account?

I had one, I deleted it. There are plenty of us independent enough to not NEED a FB account like many people seem to. No need for all the insults either, an opinion you don't agree with was state in a civil way and you break out the verbal lashing.

FB is making the whole world lazier, and stupider. It's not the only thing, but it's definitely a part of it. And while I can't prove it, or even provide evidence, I'm inclined to think this page was removed due to a request from a US official, government or corporate, and not a Syrian one.
edit on 12-12-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join