It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American's Should Have at Least 3 days of Non Perishable Food

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chemley
reply to post by AQuestion

You seem like an intelligent person. One that I would like having a tea with. Personally, I believe that if we had to prepare for anything / everything, the greatest thing to "have" would be love. I seem to remember from a distant psychology class that we NEED 3 things to survive. Food, shelter, and LOVE. I always remember the first 2 because of the last. Maybe because I have children. IDK. Take care!

Dear Chemley,

What a lovely response, thank you so very much. Tea would be wonderful, I prefer Earl Gray. If I could only have one of the three, I would choose love. One of my favorite poems is by Robert Frost, it is called "Fire and Ice"

"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."

We all know that someday the world will end and we all know that someday we will end, which comes first is a question. In either case, we are here now and can love one another now. We can help one another now. I am a Christian who says that whether or not we are in the end times is not as important as what we do with the time we have. If we believe in 2012 or that we are in the end times or whatever, that the end is near then how we spend our time is more important. We cannot wish away a solar flair or meteor; but, it if one were coming tomorrow we could still make a child smile and hug a loved one. We cannot prepare for everything and what it is reasonable to prepare for depends on what you think is survivable.

Peace and best wishes.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

most american food is so processed and full of chemicals to keep product on the shelf longer that a week, much less 3 days, is no problem.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
It's hilarious what the government thinks 3 days or 7 days worth of food is...

I'm willing to bet my next paycheque that if anyone here were to look through their fridge and cupboards right now, they'd see that they already have a minimum of 2 weeks worth of perishable and non-perishable food laying around.

It doesn't take much to put a little bit of food in your belly once a day when the going gets tough... we do not need to consume 3000 calories per day to stay alive.

In a survival situation, mustard and peanut butter on a few soda crackers is a friggin meal.

I couldn't help but chuckle at how accurate your post is. I believe we all do have at least a couple weeks of food before we literally open cupboard doors to bare shelves and inedibles like pure salt and sugar left behind.

On the other hand..and here is the problem...How many times have you looked through your own kitchen and said to yourself that there is nothing to eat. (raises hand kinda sheepishly). It'll be the mental shock and demoralization that will get most people who fall apart in the opening weeks of any LONG term hardship we face together, IMO. Americans just aren't wired to adapt very well. We've had it soft and easy for generations....it'll be quite an adjustment without worrying about food and drink atop of that.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join