It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American's Should Have at Least 3 days of Non Perishable Food

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I think that irony is the mother of every good joke so I found it interesting that people with more than 7 days food could be considered a terrorist in the good ole USA while ready.gov recommends have AT LEAST 3 days of non perishables on hand at all times. And while I appreciate their concern. Really, I do, does anybody believe 3 days is enough for any situation of any magnitude?

www.ready.gov...

I remember that my grandparents always had probably 2 years of food canned in the basement. Why? I don't really know but I am certain that they were not terrorists. Possibly their collective depression experiences, I suppose. Anyway, what do you think?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Don't forget water, its recommended to have 1 gallon of water per person for at least 3 days.

Ive been using 2 litre bottles that we use and wash out. Also if a quake hits, if its safe, turn off the water supply to your water heater. Its several gallons of potable water, if you cut it off, then if the city water gets contaminated, you got yourself some bits extra.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
If you want to be prepared for the worst case scenario (that is survivable), than you will need at least 3 months of food and water supplies.

3 months.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
If you want to be prepared for the worst case scenario (that is survivable), than you will need at least 3 months of food and water supplies.

3 months.

I'd agree with the three months...and then the filters for water, seeds and ammunition for food and a healthy variety of hand tools for everything else life without the luxuries we've come to expect can throw out way.

The tough part then becomes not telling anyone else you have any of it. No one is a friend if they are hungry and looking at your food as something they need more than you do.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

Dear Chemley,

I have no problem with people keeping any quantity of food they want as long as it doesn't all go bad. The three day rule in emergency planning was based on earthquake situations primarily. The idea is that most live saves occur within the first three days following a catastrophe because either you walked away from the problem area, you were saved from the problem area or you are trapped in the rubble. If you are trapped in the rubble then there is better than a 95% chance that after three days you will be dead. Short answer is, they are only recommending what you need for natural disasters that the government can do something about.

I am not taking any position on the claims, I am merely saying what the logic behind the three days is. Peace.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Thank you for all of the replies. I suppose that I "get it". Sometimes it just seems like entities that claim to help us talk out of both sides of their collective "mouths" as it were. I choose to keep a bit more but am not concerned (too much) about people that don't. As for being able to "defend" whatever we have, now, that is a different concern. I kind of like considering neighbors watching over each other. Kind of like neighborhood watch programs on steriods, I guess.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

Dear Chemley,

I wish to repeat that everyone should keep whatever they feel is reasonable. I did not mean to promote or advocate what the governments thinking was, I just wanted to say what the thinking was behind it. I am a Christian that believes God will give me whatever I need until he wishes to take me away. If I were not, I would probably say a years worth of food, a water purifier and a place to go. In the last five years the wealthy have opted to buy underground shelters. How much food and water you should store is all determined by how long you think you will not have any help from others.

What are you worried about and what would you need to have in order to give yourself the peace to think that you will be able to survive it? If you are worried about an all out nuclear war, what would you need to survive it? If you are worried about a massive meteor hitting the earth and causing a global freeze, what would you need to survive it? The only way to know how much food you need is to determine what problem you are anticipating. Peace.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Wow! I cannot begin to tell you how much I think about this thoughtful response! I used to think that stocking up on and storing food and possible ammunition was the way to go. Not so much, these days. I now personally believe that it will all be provided, as it were. I suppose a little like a certain exodus from Egypt that I seem to remember hearing / reading about. Time will tell, I guess. In the short term, I thank you for your not extremely subtle reminder (whether intended or not) that it will just be. Thank you again. Peace and love!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Remember it took FEMA 5 days to get water to the Astrodome after Katrina.

Our Government in the US is Schizophrenic, on one hand you have a section of the Government urging the Population to actively “Prepare”, then the same Government has authorized by statute the declaration if you are prepared you are a terrorist.

My friends, this is the definition of Schizophrenia.

Helpful Hint:

The very first thing one does in an emergency is

FILL the TUB

with cold water. don’t use hot water this removes the water from the heater.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chemley

Wow! I cannot begin to tell you how much I think about this thoughtful response! I used to think that stocking up on and storing food and possible ammunition was the way to go. Not so much, these days. I now personally believe that it will all be provided, as it were. I suppose a little like a certain exodus from Egypt that I seem to remember hearing / reading about. Time will tell, I guess. In the short term, I thank you for your not extremely subtle reminder (whether intended or not) that it will just be. Thank you again. Peace and love!

Dear Chemley,

I don't push any belief, I gave the "official" answer and the reasoning. I asked what you were preparing for because we have contingency plans, officially posted, for whatever you can think of. We all die, how much we can prepare for all possibilities is not hindered by the fact that we will still die. Rationality says that we should prepare to deal with what we believe may happen and is survivable. If a solar flair kills the earth, there is no preparation, if you don't know what you are preparing for, how can you reasonably determine what you need? If the true end times are here then there is no preparation other than spiritual. In order to answer your original question, which is what I have attempted to do, the question is what are you preparing for. Peace.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Nature will choose from itself.

Human are like roaches, you can’t kill them all.

Some could be in the epicenter of destruction and survive from just dumb luck.

When it come to “Preparedness” you never know what you are preparing for, but, a Human must have water first and food second, at all times. To disregard these two necessities because you are not able to identify the source of the destruction is not very wise. No matter what the event could possibly be you will need water and food if you are still alive, and, if you didn’t make it the water and food may still be available to someone who has.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Cool,

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
Remember it took FEMA 5 days to get water to the Astrodome after Katrina.

Our Government in the US is Schizophrenic, on one hand you have a section of the Government urging the Population to actively “Prepare”, then the same Government has authorized by statute the declaration if you are prepared you are a terrorist.

My friends, this is the definition of Schizophrenia.

Helpful Hint:

The very first thing one does in an emergency is

FILL the TUB

with cold water. don’t use hot water this removes the water from the heater.

Profoundly simple and valuable advice! I'm definitely going to remember this one. Thank you!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Chemley

There is a reason for this, though it isn't what you think. Three days worth of food is recommended to because it is easier to move in the event the shelter is compromised. Seven days worth of food is almost impossible to move in an emergency. seven days worth of food indicates a persons attempt to turn their home into a fortress. It's a correlation not causation.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
Don't forget water, its recommended to have 1 gallon of water per person for at least 3 days.

Ive been using 2 litre bottles that we use and wash out. Also if a quake hits, if its safe, turn off the water supply to your water heater. Its several gallons of potable water, if you cut it off, then if the city water gets contaminated, you got yourself some bits extra.

I sure hope you are aware of the possible bad thing about reusing water bottles:

Other chemicals of concern

Bisphenol A (BPA) can be a concern for some bottles made of polycarbonate (which shares resin identification code 7 with other plastics).[2] High temperatures and bleaching are believed to increase leaching of BPA. Several countries have banned the use of plastics containing BPA used for water and other food items.

Leaching of phthalates from PVC (resin identification code 3) is also a concern, but PVC is not typically used for water bottles.

From about.com:

"Health advocates also recommend not reusing bottles made from plastic #1 (polyethylene terephthalate, also known as PET or PETE), including most disposable water, soda and juice bottles. According to The Green Guide, such bottles may be safe for one-time use, but re-use should be avoided because studies indicate they may leach DEHA—another probable human carcinogen—when they are in less-than-perfect condition." The website for the American Cancer Society contradicts this.[3]

DEHA is neither regulated nor classified as a human carcinogen by the U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration, the National Toxicology Program or the International Agency for Research on Cancer, the leading authorities on carcinogenic substances.

In 1991, on the basis of very limited data, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency classified DEHA as a "possible human carcinogen.".....

If not for you then for other posters on this thread

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Azekual

Really? Seven days == fortress? I sincerely hope that this was a crude attempt a joke. For what reason? And what sort of fortress would that be? Maybe I could get enough canned food to make a wall around my property. HAHA.

Even from the most basic economical level it makes sense to store some food. Consider that the news here is indicating that food prices are going to continue to increase throughout next year. Take a stab at what isn't increasing... Our wages!

And just having enough until some government entity can fly in and "save" us is just folly! Poppycock! It is VERY american to take care of theirs. Thank you very much.

And thank you for your reply! I truly hope that you are young and / or dumb otherwise, I don't get your post at ALL.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

You seem like an intelligent person. One that I would like having a tea with. Personally, I believe that if we had to prepare for anything / everything, the greatest thing to "have" would be love. I seem to remember from a distant psychology class that we NEED 3 things to survive. Food, shelter, and LOVE. I always remember the first 2 because of the last. Maybe because I have children. IDK. Take care!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Yup! Know about BPA. I am concerned about that. Started buying bpa free cups a while ago. Ultimately, I wish people would use glass to drink from, silver to eat from, and cast iron skillets to cook in. Oh well, if I was in charge, I suppose I would seem like a dictator.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
If it is a point of finances, being realistic without causing undue stress is as important as having a years supply on hand.

In the event of a major disaster you may lose everything you have saved, prepare for the unforeseeable first and foremost.

Back to finances, it can be very difficult for some to keep stores of food without 'dipping' into them when faced with economic hardships, there are however ideas that can help you feel more at ease such as talking with your family, friends and even neighbors in some instances to create a food bank that can be shared in an emergency.

This does not have to break the bank but if each brings something such as beans or rice, a few canned goods, you will be surprised at how fast it can accumulate.

As for having only 3 days worth, well that is unrealistic, to have at least 10 days can buy you some time but is also not enough in a situation like we have seen worldwide in the past few years due to natural emergencies.

Regardless of what propaganda dictates, to have enough to see you through until the next growing season is best... And that leads to one of the most important supplies to have on hand and that is to have plenty of seeds to grow in the next season. Even if you are not able to grow you can always trade and barter with them.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It's hilarious what the government thinks 3 days or 7 days worth of food is...

I'm willing to bet my next paycheque that if anyone here were to look through their fridge and cupboards right now, they'd see that they already have a minimum of 2 weeks worth of perishable and non-perishable food laying around.

It doesn't take much to put a little bit of food in your belly once a day when the going gets tough... we do not need to consume 3000 calories per day to stay alive.

In a survival situation, mustard and peanut butter on a few soda crackers is a friggin meal.

<<   2 >>

join