It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it wrong to get pregnant in today's world?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by daynight42

Maybe I'm too cynical or just not a fighter enough to accept today's society, but I would never bring any child into the world as it is now.

Have you seen "Idiocracy"? It's the premise that the intelligent people of society refuse to have children because of the economy, or because they're not ready, etc. Meanwhile the trash of the world keep cranking kids out in staggering numbers. 500 years into the future it results in a wrestler as president of the US, "Ouch My Balls" as the number one television program, "A**" (think derriere) as the world's most popular film, and sliding heaps of garbage as the largest threat to humanity's survival. It's pretty darned hilarious if you go into it with the right frame of mind
Anyway, if you decide not to bring children into the world just remember that the lowest common denominator does not share your concerns, LOL!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I have eyes in my head that see the Students and see their struggle.The fact they are not in a third world country is what concerns me - the fact that they should be happy concerns me.

Why are they not happy?
I would say it's because they can see clearly the state of the world.
The one thing I have NEVER done is underestimate Children.
Children see everything - they are like sponges and absorb everything.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

Implied is different to what is actually written. I write carefully and choose my words. Seven billion people yes. I do not live in America so I can see that you do a lot of assuming and a lot of guessing. Your assumptions are blinding you and keeping you in the dark. I wonder what else you guess about in life and have assumed and been wrong.

I am not waiting to have a Child - again your assumption and guessing is now morphing into arrogance. And money does not help people - it is what causes problems particularly lack of it. Your assumption and arrogance are stunning!

Your last comment - this is exactly my concern - the world is not improving. Just because you think the water in your part of the world is cleansed - shows me your blindness. The water of the world is shared by everyone - there are no boundaries when water flows around the planet. This is why the Children are struggling - they see the truth.

The love and light are all for you - you need it far more than me. I wish you well and I hope your awakening arrives soon.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I am not going to be bitter - if you read all my posts I have stated quite clearly I decided to forgo having Children at the age of fifteen. I will repeat myself again - I do not want Children. I have no regrets and would rather make my life count and do whatever I can with whatever opportunities come my way.

And you are assuming I don't know that older women can have medical issues present in a developing foetus - I know this - I am not ignorant. I am on this site to have my say and converse that is all. As an orphan I do not have a medical history and I will never be selfish enough to play russian roulette with the health of an unborn Child.

Why is it sooooo many people think that because a person is born a woman - that is an automatic ticket to having a Child. I do not have to have a Child to prove my uterus works - I know I am a woman. Having Children is a choice and I will always support that for everyone.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

it is not about words clarity but more about logics essence...

I would love to converse with you but I still cannot comprehend your posts. For me to grasp your logics I need first to be able to read your post. I am sure that there are people here who can understand you and your style of writing but I am not one of them. Good luck.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Living in Europe during the black plague seems a lot worse than this.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I read the OP, and it is an interesting point of view, but, IMHO, a one word answer for the title
NO!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
i won't be having any children. There are too many people on this planet and we as the individual need to address the problem and take action.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
reply to post by daynight42

Dear daynight42,

Each person is unique and every life has value on it's own. Every generation is challenged and yet, which generation other than ours do you think should not have had children? I am a Christian, if I believed that these were the end times I would still give the same advice. Live your life as your life, have children if that is what you wish, take care of them if you do. Children offer hope. I look at the young people, I am in my early 50s, who are sleeping out on public spaces just to be heard and I have hope. Each generation deserves their chance to have children and enjoy a family and whatever good they can find in this world. Peace.

I'm a Christian as well, and I although I do believe in end times, what you say is true - I'm still young, not even 20 yet, but as I read the scripture and come across the verse in Matthew (mentioned a few posts above yours), what it tells me; it's referring to mothers, more so than the children, possibly because of the economy, and how difficult it would be to care for a child when a loaf of bread costs a day's pay. I do believe in the end times, and that we are living in them, but to me, that's what the scripture means.

I still agree with what you say, however; as all deserve life.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
i won't be having any children. There are too many people on this planet and we as the individual need to address the problem and take action.

You can fit the entire world's population in the state of Texas. Overpopulation isn't a problem.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The world is always too close to extinction to have children as far back through history as you care to go. Nothing has changed, and not much is likely to.

Kids make the world worth saving which I never would have believed until I had my own.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

That is actually a family name of a television show family that has gained some popularity since the mother got pregnant with her 20th child.
Source

Hmmm…………Fundamentalist Christians and reality TV stars. Now I have seen it all

Prejudices, hatred, greed, hunger for power and lost souls have always existed.

Yes. And today, they are more out of balance than I have seen in my lifetime.

I read in one of your answers you are about 50, which is nearly twice my age. Would I be so wrong as to assume that the prejudices against women, race and sexual preference were far greater back when you were a child?

But despite your claim that people are getting sicker everyday, we are still living longer than ever before which seems to discount that theory.

I would rather have a short, healthy life than a long, sick one. Cancer, allergies, asthma, hormones, food intolerance, pesticides, processed and genetically modified food... Sorry, not appealing, no matter how long a lifespan is. Saying that because we live longer means we're not sick is incorrect. We live long, sick lives. The people who benefit are the health care companies.

Sorry but the majority of people I see walking around are not suffering on a day to day basis due to any of these issues you mention. The main issue facing the 1st world nations are obesity and smoking, both of which are entirely preventable no matter what your perceived view of the world’s environment.

I have no doubt air pollution has played some role in this but neither of them wish they had never been born.

Again, no one has said they wish they had never been born.

And also not the greatest reason to base one’s decision of whether or not to have children on.

7 billion….? And you think one or two more will make any difference. I do not believe any you are living in some war-torn strife-driven 3rd world nation where these problems you speak are happening day to day.

I don't have to live in the middle of it to see it all around me and realize that it's GOING to happen here some day soon. It's happening in this nation. In 2006, only 89% of the drinking water met EPA standards. Source

So 9 out of 10 water sources are fit for human consumption…….. I would suggest that number would be far lower when you were a child, although I will admit it would be for different reasons

Nor do I believe any child you bring into the world will ever face these problems first hand.

I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong.

There’s not much I can do to argue against an ingrained sense of impending doom

. Yes they could do much much better, but the way the my country and yours takes care of the environment is improving (yes it is slow) day by day.

Source? The environment is improving day by day? I disagree.

No, the way we think about the environment and take actions to further prevent any issues is slowly improving.
Like I’ve said it has only been in the past 25 years that humans have even considered the effects our actions have on this planet as a whole. There will always be some lag time before realization and meaningful action. And things will get worse in the mean time. But I will reiterate my point that I do not see them getting significantly worse where you live.

The world is slowly learning responsibility. Things will slowly get better.

That's a nice thought. I have it, too, but I'm not gambling on it.

It is a nice thought. Maybe I am an optimist but it is optimism based on the reality of the situation as I observe it.

edit on 12/12/2011 by 1littlewolf because: post ridiculously too long so I split it in two

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
I can follow you through most of your post.

But not everyone drives the same way. Some people are fine being poor with a couple children. They view family as the ultimate gift and the most enjoyable thing they could be doing.

As technology improves life will gradually get better for EVERYONE, including the poor.

That is a distinction worth mentioning IMO. I tend to strive for perfection in the areas I can. I would probably be super protective and try to keep my kids away from the media as much as possible. Of course that is extremely difficult, and it would have social consequences for them, too.

People say technology improves life. In ways it does, but it ways it doesn't. Things that were supposed to help us get more done in less time make our lives hectic, faster paced, and stressful. TVs and the internet and cell phones are today used so much for entertainment, that they're 35% useful and maybe 65% entertainment devices. (Work done on these devices must be factored out because that isn't a personal choice we make, and it doesn't make us richer more than it makes someone else richer unless we are self-employed.)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GonzoSinisterand guys if your online complaining about the world from your own computer... in the grand scheme of things your life isnt really.

I hear this stuff like "you're on the internet complaining" as if the internet is some wonder that makes like better. Can it be exciting, yes? So can TV, and I think the entire world would be better off without that.

Technology is...what? Just because it advances, what does that mean? Why when surveyed do people say they'd rather travel back in time instead of in the future? What does that say about technology? Do people really rather simpler lives and perhaps technology is getting in the way? Does "social media" create more shallow experiences between people instead of the genuine real life experiences? It has for me. On one hand you can connect with anyone, but those connections are shallow and 'cheap.' And, it then begins to take the place of more meaningful real world relationships. It's "easier" to do the internet stuff, but we are moving away from the other type of bonds we used to share with people, which I see as more meaningful.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot
I'm not sure why you think the world is any worse now than it was at any time in the past? There have always been wars and plagues and famines and crime and evil people and portents of doom. What makes it different now?

We have become a society of worriers and have forgotten how to be warriors.

Some of them will make our world a much better place through their compassion and empathy and motivation.

It's worse because today's world problems to me, seem so preventable. When the plagues happened, those were due to a lack of ability to avoid it. We had wars back then, and I agree that some of them were "more valid" than others. (Stopping Hitler is valid, but the religious wars were just wrong.) And, today's wars seem wrong to me too. It's no longer about stopping a serious threat, it's about conquering the world because we can.

What makes it different is that we can see certain people with massive amounts of resources who could use their power (money) for good, but they use it to increase their power at almost any cost. And, people are aware of this. It's general knowledge. People know what's going on, and they say "Well it's been that way." Yes, and why continue to ignore it? Why not try to change it? Or, would it be acceptable to have the world remain the same 1000 years from now?

I think we're warriors enough, and that is causing the worrying. It causes instability, and look at the posts here on ATS, and see that people are seeing parts of the world breaking apart. The governments are now exposed more than ever as being corrupt. Is that not something to worry about? Will you go to war against them? How will you? How should we? Look at the criminal acts done against some of the protesters. It is like war already. (Note that I see some protest groups as foolish for their methods and lack of respect for proper protesting.)

I like your optimism, and I must keep a healthy supply for myself. I purposely have to try to avoid getting too absorbed in the "mess" going on. On one hand, I prefer to keep informed. On the other, it begins to become too much, and I need a break from it. Maybe I need some soma or some TV or music to "take me away" from the reality that is in front of me. If that's true, that says something about reality.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Originally posted by Amanda5

Implied is different to what is actually written. I write carefully and choose my words. Seven billion people yes. I do not live in America so I can see that you do a lot of assuming and a lot of guessing. Your assumptions are blinding you and keeping you in the dark. I wonder what else you guess about in life and have assumed and been wrong.

You live in Australia I’ve just read. So not only have I guessed right about the circumstances of your country of origin, but things are in fact far better in your country than you are trying to make me believe. Australia is just about the most stable country in the world, suffered very little in the Global Economic Crisis, has a relatively low unemployment rate, and although Australia is just about one of the worst polluters in the world per capita, the fact it has a relatively low population density certainly lessens the impact quite significantly.

It is your pessimistic mind frame that is blinding you.

I am not waiting to have a Child - again your assumption and guessing is now morphing into arrogance. And money does not help people - it is what causes problems particularly lack of it. Your assumption and arrogance are stunning!

Here are your quoted words:

This is why I will not bring a Child into this world - I believe we need to take care of the planet and help her heal – then I will be happy to start a family - but not before

Straight from your own hand Amanda. So again I ask how long do you intend to wait? How much better do you want Australia to be before you decide it is okay to have children? Watch you don’t wait too long lest one day you wake up and realise the world is not so horrible but the chance has past you by…..

Your last comment - this is exactly my concern - the world is not improving. Just because you think the water in your part of the world is cleansed - shows me your blindness. The water of the world is shared by everyone - there are no boundaries when water flows around the planet. This is why the Children are struggling - they see the truth.

No one is asking you to raise your child in Somalia. Children in Australia are not struggling to find clean drinking water. Your arguments are vague at best. Polluted sea water from China or India does not flow upstream into your water catchments. Australia does not suffer from acid rain.

I have eyes in my head that see the Students and see their struggle.The fact they are not in a third world country is what concerns me - the fact that they should be happy concerns me.

Why are they not happy?
I would say it's because they can see clearly the state of the world.

They are not happy because they are at school. It is obvious.

Teenage years are always the toughest. I have only been out of school for 10 years and I highly doubt in that time things have taken that much of a dramtic turn for the worst.

The fact that their teacher see's the world as one big catastrophe is not I'm sure doing much to help the situation.

The love and light are all for you - you need it far more than me. I wish you well and I hope your awakening arrives soon.
Much Peace...

Awake to a constant sense of impending doom in which I fail to see how much beauty and promise still exists in the world around me. I hope that day never comes.

Overall you seem like a sweet and caring lady. Being an ex-cop and a teacher, you seem like the type of woman who would make a perfect mother (illogical assumptions regarding the state of the world aside). Being a cop once I could see how you may carry negativity regarding humanity, for daily you were exposed to people at their worst.

But this does carry few through into your arguments and you have told me nothing as to why a healthy woman in Australia should choose not to have children.

The Love and Light is all yours, for you truly need it far more than me.

edit on 12/12/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

You need to learn that the world does not revolve around you. Your assumption and arrogance show that you are not yet mature enough to have a conversation based on an exchange of ideas but of criticising another.

You assume to know about me and have the audacity to ask me why I am waiting. I made my choice to not have Children at the age of fifteen - circumstances have not changed and so I have not changed my mind - I am not waiting. Just because I am a woman does not mean I automatically have to have Children. I made my decision long before I became a Police officer and Teacher and if anything - my experiences only served to show me I had made exactly the right decision.

So you finally realised I am from Australia instead of allowing your arrogance to assume to know anything about me and yes my life is fine - I care that others do not have any quality to their life. You see - unlike you I actually care about other people. I live on planet Earth and it is inhabited by a global society - a global family if you will.

As for acid rain and radiated water - unless you can control the wind and the ocean currents - the ecological problems of our embattled planet belong to all of us. You need to give yourself some love and light because you are living in the darkness of your own ego.

I fully respect that some people want to bring Children into this world and that is their choice. I joined this thread to share and exchange ideas and converse with other people. You seemed to have joined in to criticise people and make judgements with assumptions and ignorance. I will leave you to this thread - I have had my say I am happy. You can continue to judge me and make assumptions - that is your choice.

Much Peace...take as much as you want as you appear to be in need and I have ample...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

My advice: go outside, look at the sky, and just breathe.

No soma needed.

I see where you're coming from in some respects. But, again, you are focusing more on the negative side of things than the positive.

I fight in the ways I can: voting, voicing my opinions, sharing my experiences in the hopes that they will bring understanding to the world, helping others, being a good parent, living a fairly sustainable lifestyle, and so on.

Believe me, I would be fighting with fists or guns or whatever if I needed to protect my family. But, I don't need to. Sure, politics have some effect on my life, in the respect that I use money in my everyday life and my taxes may increase... but that is not the important part of life to me.

I really don't think the world is getting worse. But, then again, I live close to nature and look to the Earth, not the world of humanity, when I am feeling overwhelmed.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5

You need to learn that the world does not revolve around you. Your assumption and arrogance show that you are not yet mature enough to have a conversation based on an exchange of ideas but of criticising another.

I am not one of your pupils. Just because I have an opinion which differs to yours does not make me arrogant or audacious. You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about me just because I choose to argue your illogical ideas. As for being mature, a mature conversation means you address the specific points I raise with logical arguments of your own instead of spouting the same vague rhetoric you have been throughout this entire exchange. And this you have not done once.

You assume to know about me and have the audacity to ask me why I am waiting. I made my choice to not have Children at the age of fifteen - circumstances have not changed and so I have not changed my mind - I am not waiting. Just because I am a woman does not mean I automatically have to have Children. I made my decision long before I became a Police officer and Teacher and if anything - my experiences only served to show me I had made exactly the right decision.

So you finally realised I am from Australia instead of allowing your arrogance to assume to know anything about me and yes my life is fine

I do not think assuming you are from the States makes me arrogant in the slightest. ATS is a US based website and ¾ of all its members are from there. In lieu of any further information it is a very safe assumption to make. I also made that assumption in a post which I had started writing before you posted your statement about being Australian, not that this should matter as I am not required to scan every post you’ve made before I answer you. I was only addressing your reply to me, not every post you’ve ever made.

As for whether you’re waiting or not to have kids, I really don’t care. Let me quote you once again.

This is why I will not bring a Child into this world - I believe we need to take care of the planet and help her heal – then I will be happy to start a family - but not before

Your very words imply you are waiting for the world to be a better place before you start a family. This is no assumption on my behalf. This is what you said. I have never said that because you are a woman you should have children. Again another assumption on your behalf. As for you being a policewoman or a teacher, I do not see how either of these career paths qualifies you in any way to make an educated guess about the state of the world’s environment.

You say that kids are sad at school because the environment in some other countries is screwed up. I say you are wrong. Having in the not too distant past finished 12 years of school as a student, I would say I am just as qualified to make judgements about why kids seem sad at school as you are. The reason some kids may seem sad at school are numerous, but the state of the global environment or the affairs of 3rd world countries certainly are not at the top. Yes I’m sure they feel bad about the state of some other countries. But this does not come into play regarding their day to day happiness levels. I would hazard a guess, an assumption if you will that the number one reason is because the are at school.

I care that others do not have any quality to their life. You see - unlike you I actually care about other people. I live on planet Earth and it is inhabited by a global society - a global family if you will.

Another assumption on your behalf. You are showing yourself to be quite the hypocrite, chastising me for making one assumption about your location and then filling an entire post with assumptions of your own.

I care deeply about other people, I do not even know how you came to think this. It is just about as illogical as everything else you have written so far.

As for acid rain and radiated water - unless you can control the wind and the ocean currents - the ecological problems of our embattled planet belong to all of us. You need to give yourself some love and light because you are living in the darkness of your own ego.

I’m not sure what kind of teacher you are, but I definitely hope it’s not science. Australia does not have acid rain. The radiation from Japan is no threat at all to anyone living in Australia. You can give me all the garble you want about a planet with no borders but the winds and the oceans currents behave in very systematic ways. These things can be predicted. I don’t expect you would understand though.

I fully respect that some people want to bring Children into this world and that is their choice. I joined this thread to share and exchange ideas and converse with other people. You seemed to have joined in to criticise people and make judgements with assumptions and ignorance. I will leave you to this thread - I have had my say I am happy. You can continue to judge me and make assumptions - that is your choice.

Much Peace...take as much as you want as you appear to be in need and I have ample...

I fully respect people’s choice not to have children. But when you post a list of reasons for not having children on a public forum and they are clearly misinformed I have just as much right to argue against them as anyone. You have given me no good reason why a woman in Australia should not have children if she so chooses.

I also wonder why on Earth I should be made to feel guilty and be called names just because I choose to see the beauty which still exists in very large amounts in the world today. Why I should be called arrogant and audacious just because I see a bright future ahead of us.

I did make one other assumption regarding you actually.

Overall you seem like a sweet and caring lady. Being an ex-cop and a teacher, you seem like the type of woman who would make a perfect mother (illogical assumptions regarding the state of the world aside). Being a cop once I could see how you may carry negativity regarding humanity, for daily you were exposed to people at their worst.

Guess you proved me wrong on that one

If you actually have anything intelligent to say or if you want to debate any specific points I have raised feel free to post again. Otherwise I will be making one more assumption which is that you are a bitter pessimist who does not know what she is talking about.

As for the type of 'peace' you claim to be dishing out; if how you behave in your last post is any example of this peace then you can keep it.

edit on 13/12/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ottobot

My advice: go outside, look at the sky, and just breathe.

No soma needed.

I see where you're coming from in some respects. But, again, you are focusing more on the negative side of things than the positive.

Thanks for the advice. I try to get out as much as possible, but it's winter now, so I'm sorta stuck between being warm inside or rather cold outside. I get out to exercise and be amongst the trees and animals, but I only do that if it's warm enough.

Yes, it's probably because I make the bad choice of visiting this site ats too often! Really, it usually just makes me frustrated. If I don't visit, then I wonder what's going on. I suppose I could just limit my visit to once per week and get the most flagged topics for the last 7 days. To be honest, everything here is never something I would act on or alter my life for in quick time anyway. Most of what's here is just reports of things that only other people have the power to change. So, I might as well just say it's only worth it to check once a week; and, I could probably get by just fine with less than that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join