It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it wrong to get pregnant in today's world?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Is it wrong to get pregnant in today's world?

As long as you can take proper care of your child .. no it's not wrong. Who knows .. the child you raise today may be the adult of tomorrow who finds the cure for cancer. SIDE NOTE - don't forget .... lots of children are out there waiting to be adopted ...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

You say you would be happy to have children.

I have news for you
Once you reach your 40's, it'll be much much harder to have children. Not only that, I've seen evidence to suggest that a mother's offspring after she's 40 are not as healthy.

If you keep your current viewpoint, be prepared to not have any children at all. Don't grow bitter as a result of it. Don't hate yourself. You can complain, but do so while admitting it was your choice.

I agree that our planet is having a lot of problems. It will irrevocably change as a result of our dominance over life on this planet. We will probably have to geoengineer our climate and micromanage nature. It's not a pretty picture if you want it to be pristine and wild as it was many hundreds of years ago. But even back then the indians were cutting and burning too. Lots of forests were cut and burnt in central america several hundred years ago.

I am 34. I doubt I'll have children at this stage. I wonder if I'll even be alive in 5 years.

I cannot afford a child so that's my reason. I don't think everyone has to have a child. Yes, it's necessary that some humans reproduce. But food is necessary, no? Does that mean we should all be farmers, since food is necessary? Of course not. Similarly, we should not all have to reproduce. If you look at the japanese, they have a large senior population adn the worry is that there're not enough children. But one only has to look at the very fast changing robotics industry to notice what's going on. This low reproduction rate is leading to advanced robotics; Is that necessarily a bad thing? Lastly, we have a large supply of sperm that's frozen and viable at least for a while. Even if all of our men died we could still reproduce via in-vitro fertilisation.

Are we wasting sperm? Are we wasting ovulation? Is in eye of beholder.

It would be hard for me to have this viewpoint if I was religious. Or if I had lots o' money.
edit on 12-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Woman have an instinctual urge to procreate. Sex is one of natures most powerful urges.
Ask a man in his teens (edit to add: or his 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, etc) not to pleasure himself or think about doing the vertical mambo with every decent looking woman in his class.
You will never be able to tell either of them that what they are doing is wrong. Its just nature so it cant be wrong to the person doing it.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I am not responsible for the Duggars of the world

All true. And I've never heard but do like the term 'Duggars'.

That is actually a family name of a television show family that has gained some popularity since the mother got pregnant with her 20th child.
Source

Prejudices, hatred, greed, hunger for power and lost souls have always existed.

Yes. And today, they are more out of balance than I have seen in my lifetime.

But despite your claim that people are getting sicker everyday, we are still living longer than ever before which seems to discount that theory.

I would rather have a short, healthy life than a long, sick one. Cancer, allergies, asthma, hormones, food intolerance, pesticides, processed and genetically modified food... Sorry, not appealing, no matter how long a lifespan is. Saying that because we live longer means we're not sick is incorrect. We live long, sick lives. The people who benefit are the health care companies.

I have no doubt air pollution has played some role in this but neither of them wish they had never been born.

Again, no one has said they wish they had never been born.

7 billion….? And you think one or two more will make any difference. I do not believe any you are living in some war-torn strife-driven 3rd world nation where these problems you speak are happening day to day.

I don't have to live in the middle of it to see it all around me and realize that it's GOING to happen here some day soon. It's happening in this nation. In 2006, only 89% of the drinking water met EPA standards. Source

Nor do I believe any child you bring into the world will ever face these problems first hand.

I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong.

. Yes they could do much much better, but the way the my country and yours takes care of the environment is improving (yes it is slow) day by day.

Source? The environment is improving day by day? I disagree.

How long seriously do you intend waiting?

I'm not waiting. No kids for me. (I know that question wasn't for me)

The world is slowly learning responsibility. Things will slowly get better.

That's a nice thought. I have it, too, but I'm not gambling on it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

it is not about words clarity but more about words logics essence, u need to read my reply from logics source as u surely are able to make abstractions before using words to say smthg in order to realize ur means ways by justifying them

seeing earth as a tired old oness is meaning it as being a form shape like urs, while stating that u could b in better form superiority, this is gibbirish nonsense while it belongs to evil megalo wills that are happy to use such nonsense end possibility offered from evil all rules of life

an object obviously is never conscious, only what is relatively truly free or what is evil living is aware or conscious, while what is free is by definition not related to any object as also what is living by definition is positively free even if evil ways, by using individual free possible moves for its own life out means and wills

there is no way that u could see or anyone could perceive objective existence of its form, only truth exist from what truth is absolute superiority concept reason through exclusively absolute freedom identifications, so by definition nothing objectively that might b seen while all what exist, through truth conception one, which mean no one since truth concept one is the concept of absolute freedom end object reason which is by definition beyond absolute freedom, while one is only one freedom out of all so always of freedom right concept as relative to absolute freedom reason, so there is no one complete ever even but the freedom fact being is one to itself constancy

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think you've been watching too much tv

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
conscious is from being an objective perspective then only u as object could be perceived as relative to the object totally independant while also becoming then more free independant of it, but earth cant b an objective perspective since if it was aware it cant perceive another object, earth is not aware for sure
is its present constancy enough to reach a free sense out of present constancies? mayb but then it is the opposite to ur ways, since it comes after constancies then it would be free from constancies reasons so not caring about earth as stranger to what brought present earth freedom
while u as kind of conscious out of ur living soul, u always need urself objective perspective of now as the reason of urself conscious out which relate u to ur freedom reason in soul back which is the constant reference to urself mind,
then it is u that must be sick in ur mind, and what is sick by definition is screwed forever when truth is through absolute freedom superiority, then u do not exist and never will

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
This hell is unworthy of my future children. Which is why I've made it my mission to change things, to transform this hell into a heaven. The more of us who do this, the faster it'll happen.

I love the earth but human society is a plague.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The problem though is that if people who are intelligent enough to question the logic of having children now persist at not having children - we will have a situation in our near future similar to the one that the movie "Idiocracy" showcased.

I have also made the decision not to have kids.

This post is great! I omitted the junk and just kept the good stuff.

I know you are trying to call yourself intelligent here but you do realise that your comment states that YOU are the problem with this society right? Not so intelligent. Maybe you are right not to have kids and then you are doing the rest of society a favor afterall!

Humans now are the same humans since the dawn of our time. Lots of joy and suffering throught our long unknown history i am sure. We made it this far and none of us are perfect. Dont hate so much.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
The first step is to understand that there is an opportunity for each and everyone of us.

People survive on instinct. Humans are very adaptive to the world around us, give yourself some credit. The world won't fall to pieces if we don't allow it. If we don't have kids, and teach them what principles to live by, then who will? Don't ever give up, don't ever give in.

Im about to be a new father, and I struggle everyday. Life is tough. My father died in 07' and something that he used to tell me is "anything worth doing, should always be a challenge".

I'm with you becomingaware. My wife and i are expecting our third son at around the end of the month.

Though i must admit that i had doubts about having another child, for some of the reasons stated in the OP, in the end my decision was based on the following:

1. If we stop having children, we have already given up on life.
2. I do my best to raise my children to be free and critical thinkers with an open mind, and the world can never have enough of those.
3. I already have two children, and so i know that it is impossible to regret having a child.

Soulwaxer
edit on 12-12-2011 by soulwaxer because: grammar

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I Agree with you entirely...

I had a similar conversation with my 80 year old aunt about not having kids, her response was as follows.

"I grew up when a mad man was trying to conquer the world, where the US had been attacked on its own soil, when millions lost their lives in WW2, I saw Japanese friends being taken away by their own government to internment camps. We didn't not have kids because the world was so bad, we had kids in the hope it would make the world better, that by raising them right they would be a force for good in the world, that you would be creating someone who you would raise to be better than you where, yes we thought the world was bad but we knew we could change it... I don't know whats wrong with your generation, seems to me its selfish and lazy"

I just stood there staring at her, she kinda had a point.

She also said that the "worlds always ending, the question is are you willing to try and hold it off for a little longer."
edit on 12-12-2011 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

I would like to point out that not everyone "gets pregnant". Some people do plan to have children and take the time to ensure their child will be born into a loving, supportive, and secure family situation.

I'm not sure why you think the world is any worse now than it was at any time in the past? There have always been wars and plagues and famines and crime and evil people and portents of doom. What makes it different now?

Yes, the world's problems weigh heavily on our consciousness because, through the recent addition of technology to our world, we can now see everyone's problems at the click of a mouse.

We have become a society of worriers and have forgotten how to be warriors.

Be a warrior for change, and you will not have to wonder about how the future will be - you will be making it!

It really is a personal decision whether or not to bring children into the world, but do not despair. Not all of our children will live awful lives. Some of them will make our world a much better place through their compassion and empathy and motivation.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Amanda5

So go over there and help them. Sell you computer, cancel the internet and send the money. You having a kid isn't going to change anything and I was not referring to you caring about others, rather statements like this:

"Send more money" and there'll be16 mouths to feed...
youtu.be...

Originally posted by Domo1

Students come to school and struggle to focus - to learn - to participate - to even try - it's as if they know they have been born into the world at a very difficult time.

Best time in the history of mankind. Sure, if you're living in Africa or some third world hell hole I can understand the bellyaching but seriously, you are on the internet, complaining life is rough. It's pathetic.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Short answer is no.
You might as well ask the question was it ok to get pregnant during the crusades?
Or during the times of any sort of killing or genocides.

Should you not get pregnant because you may give birth to the next hitler?

All those questions are moot. The human race only survives if we have children.

To not bear kids would be going against the words in the bible.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Well....

I really dont think the world is as bad as some folk make out,

Yeah economy is all over the place, we are on the brink of a possible war, the earth is going through a cold cycle (from all evidence of previous cold cycles) and there is genuine scientific thought towards the dangers of the sun based radiation hitting the earth and a possible pole shift of sorts being a concern....

However... waking up and your child being there in the morning, is amazing... seeing the look on his (or her) face when you play with them, helping them to learn, teaching them, being there evrything makes all the things complained about worth while,... makes me a stronger person... im not going to complain about the above, im going to do what needs to be done for my family, and its because of my family i have the will and strength to do it...

i think if everyone had the chance to be a father (or a mother) no matter what the world is like around us in the west you should, its puts all the worlds problem into perspective, my life isnt so bad.. and guys if your online complaining about the world from your own computer... in the grand scheme of things your life isnt really.

so no... its not wrong getting pregnant in todays world, infact it would be an awsome reality check for doom and gloomers so certain the world will be over next week.

Just my thoughts though.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Your question would require people actually giving consideration to the merits of reproduction. In this world that is the exception and not the rule. People allow their instinct and ignorance to rule their bodies and minds, for most a child is brought into this world because it either happens or they want it despite the means to care for it. It is a symptom of the selfish disease that wraps itself around every tenant and action in peoples lives and the destruction laid in it's wake is evident in the world we live in today.

Having a child in absolutely no way makes you a better person or superior to others. It proves nothing more than you are a creature bound to your instinct and if you do well you did it right but for most it's just a long trail of self righteous delusion. It also makes people miserable, some may find joy in it but count them the few because so many lies follow ones progeny it's a wonder why there are so many of us in the first place.

Me; I will just sit back and enjoy what life has to offer without self inflicted burdens, delusions or stress blessed with a partner who shares my views. Good luck to you though.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LaughingatHumanity
Your question would require people actually giving consideration to the merits of reproduction. In this world that is the exception and not the rule. People allow their instinct and ignorance to rule their bodies and minds, for most a child is brought into this world because it either happens or they want it despite the means to care for it. It is a symptom of the selfish disease that wraps itself around every tenant and action in peoples lives and the destruction laid in it's wake is evident in the world we live in today.

Having a child in absolutely no way makes you a better person or superior to others. It proves nothing more than you are a creature bound to your instinct and if you do well you did it right but for most it's just a long trail of self righteous delusion. It also makes people miserable, some may find joy in it but count them the few because so many lies follow ones progeny it's a wonder why there are so many of us in the first place.

Me; I will just sit back and enjoy what life has to offer without self inflicted burdens, delusions or stress blessed with a partner who shares my views. Good luck to you though.

See maybe having kids isnt for everyone... if you feel it would be a self inflicted burden then its probably better you dont have a child, if you feel you cant support a child then again yes i agree you shouldnt have one.

I know there are many parents on this site that will disagree... its somthing i never new could be a thing untill i had a child but any amount of what you class as burden that i would actually class as occasional slight hardships are more than outweighed by the enjoyment you have from having a child, the feeling of being a parent, getting to bring another (hopefully) well rounded human into society.

I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt the single greatest thing i have ever done, the best i have felt about myself and the happiest i have been in my life was to have a child, i didnt even know i was unhappy untill i discovered how happy it made me.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I've thought about this a lot, especially since all of these huge earthquakes and Fukushima. What I keep coming back to is really the hallmark of life on this planet - perseverence. No matter the natural or manmade disaster, life goes on. For example, green eventually sprouts in a scorched forest and critters creep back in.

You have to have hope.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheInterceptor

Dear Interceptor. Thanks for intercepting my post.

I think you may have misunderstood me.

The problem though is that if people who are intelligent enough to question the logic of having children now persist at not having children - we will have a situation in our near future similar to the one that the movie "Idiocracy" showcased.

The people who do not give a rat's-ass about the future of the planet or that of their own children are the ones who keep procreating like a bunch of rabbits.

Here I am admitting that it is important for intelligent people to keep on having kids, as we need that part of the gene-pool to keep on going as well. This is necessary in order to avoid the “I have 15 mouths to feed – you need to feed them” mentality from overtaking the rest.

I have also made the decision not to have kids. I am too worried for their future sakes - and I am worried about my own ability to truly provide for them. Perhaps my opinion about this matter will change in due course.

Here I am simply stating that I have made the decision not to have kids. Because

a) I am worried for their future as we may be living in the best part of history from a war-and-poverty perspective, but we also have no fish left in the oceans, we now have the great pacific garbage patch, and we also have only about half of our earth-lungs left

And

b) I do not have enough faith in my own ability to provide for them at the mo. From a financial perspective.

So nowhere is mentioned that I reckon that I am intelligent. In fact – I can be a real dumbass. If you saw what I got up to this afternoon in my garden – you would have concurred that I am indeed a dumbass.

But the most important part of that sentence is this bit right here:

"Perhaps my opinion about this matter will change in due course."

What that really means is that I do think having kids are absolutely fantastic and that I may have one or two or a bunch – if or when I am ready for it.

You obviously forgot to quote the most important part of my post. This bit right here:

I can say this though - the "lack of means" actually means nothing. It comes down to the loyalty of the parent to the child - the steadfast dedication and devotion to its education and its character. A responsible and good parent means much more to a child than all the money and means in the world - because (in my experience anyways), such a parent provides much more security than can be measured in worldly means.

Here I am actually encouraging people to be good parents – not discouraging them from having kids. Big difference me thinks.

So when omitting vital parts of a post (in an attempt to make yourself look like an anonymous “smarty-pants” on an internet forum) that is supposed to give the complete picture of somebody’s thought process, it actually ends up turning into junk when only bits of it is quoted.

Dont hate so much.

Hate? Hah! You obviously don’t know me. I don’t hate. I cannot hate. I love every living creature with a free abandon and zest – with a love greater than my heart can hold. That is my greatest weakness. The fact that I love this planet and all of life on it so much – as well as my dearest humanity – that I take such care in thinking out a vital matter such as “having kids”.

Sincerely wishing you all the best. Shimmer

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
IF you can properly take care of your child, then it is not wrong, on the contrary, it is the best age in history to have a child. Your child will have a better life than 95 % of other people that passed through this realm.

EDIT: but dont forget the IF, otherwise Id advise you to buy a cat instead..

edit on 12/12/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join