It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it wrong to get pregnant in today's world?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
It's not wrong but its downright silly and unwise.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
No offence OP but I really don't understand the negativity pervading western thought these days. I had it tough growing up, sometimes I went to bed hungry. I've had a lot of horrible things happen to me.

But never once did I wish that I'd never been born

We have more than we've ever had. We're living longer than at any other time in history. Kid's don't need every new toy or gizmo that comes out. They just need to be loved. As long as you can feed them and shelter them and raise them wisely that is all that's necessary. What would happen if cavemen with an average lifespans of approximately 25 thought how you did? What if they'd thought this during the black plague or the great depression? None of you would be here to bitch and moan about how nasty the world is.

Turn off Fox News and go outside. It's a beautiful day. I have two kids and they're far happier than I ever was growing up.

If you asked me we need to bring more enlightened children into this world to fix up the mess that humanity has caused. The world's problems do not correlate with population size. The more people there is, the more opportunities there are. The world's problems are caused by idiots. So what do you think will happen when the smart people stop breeding?

If we were to use the worlds' resources wisely there'd be more than enough for everybody.

Originally posted by Domo1
Is life really so super hard for some of you guys? Grow up and quit whining. You are alive in the best time in history with so little want it makes me want to scream at you. The world has never been perfect, but stop with the histrionics.

Originally posted by pazcat
Jeez, if we all took this pathetic attitude there would be none of us here to begin with. I don't know why some of us seem bitter to the fact we are born at all. There have been far more turbulant periods in the past that could attempt to give this theory some merit, 2 world wars, the cold war, the plague, etc....

Guys I'm with you all the way.

Originally posted by becomingaware
The first step is to understand that there is an opportunity for each and everyone of us.

People survive on instinct. Humans are very adaptive to the world around us, give yourself some credit. The world won't fall to pieces if we don't allow it. If we don't have kids, and teach them what principles to live by, then who will? Don't ever give up, don't ever give in.

Im about to be a new father, and I struggle everyday. Life is tough. My father died in 07' and something that he used to tell me is "anything worth doing, should always be a challenge".

Best wishes with the for your soon to be family.

It has only been in the past 25 years that the we as humans have even begun to realise the worldwide impacts of our actions. And there will always be a lag time between realization and action. It is the generation which is being born now, your children and mine, that will be the ones that turn this world around.

edit on 12/12/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

My life is just okay. For many Children their life is just one misery after another and they deserve better. We are a human society and until everyone is cared for we still have a lot to learn and a lot to repair.

You may think this is the best time in history - but just because you say so does not make it so. I hope I never become so selfish I stop thinking of other people - recognising the misery of other people is the least I can do. People like you only serve to make me stronger.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Who has stated they are bitter about being born? We are discussing people getting pregnant at this point in time. We have entire countries where Children starve from the moment they are born. Children who have limbs blown off because a bomb was dropped where they were playing. The last video that is etched in my mind is the little boy having breakfast in his own home - you could not even recognise his face his head was blown apart. When your Child sees that on the internet and asks why? What do you tell them?

I would rather make every effort with my life to be a benefit to society and it is my choice to not have Children. I am not whining about my life - I am concerned for the quality of life for Children. Employment is going to become very competitive even in first world countries. The economy is about to crash and we still have to contemplate Fukishima and the billions of gallons of water that is spilling out into the ocean, not to mention the other ecological problems.

My life is okay - I care that the life of Children will not be okay. I see Students who have no hope in their eyes and I care. People mean well and many people make every effort to be quality parents - but sometimes that is not enough. Children need a world that will offer them everything - not just something. I do not judge people who are having Children. I see the world the way it is and I imagine it the way it could be - until the world is fair to everyone I don't see the point. I will not bring a Child into this world for something to do - Children are a celebration of life.

Much Peace... to all the Children who are living in poverty, misery, war and sexual abuse - I am thinking of you & so are many others...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I am glad I was born.
I love my life and I love every day. But I was born over 50 years ago and a LOT has changed in the last 50 years. This is NOT the best time in history... There is an abundance of ignorance, confusion, fear, distrust, lack of respect, hatred... It's really a mess even compared to 20 years ago.

I'm really glad I decided not to pursue having kids. I wouldn't want to bring kids into this world. Who knows what things are going to be like in 20-30 years? I don't think it's WRONG to get pregnant, but I certainly wouldn't choose to. And I don't think it's wise or fair to have kids in this day and age, when the future looks so unstable.

I am pro-choice, so I wouldn't prevent anyone from breeding, but I am glad I chose not to.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Is life really so super hard for some of you guys? Grow up and quit whining. You are alive in the best time in history with so little want it makes me want to scream at you. The world has never been perfect, but stop with the histrionics.

I would so agree with you if it wasn't for all the vaccinations an infant must be subjected to - are compelled to receive by law.
My God they're giving little boys Hep B shots straight from the womb.
Cervical cancer (HPV) inoculations to little boys who - news flash - don't even have a cervix, but, will end up being on one side of the 50/50 teeter-totter to be effected negatively by the injections.
And on and on...

Take a watch at this video and then tell me if you change your mind. I'm not picking at you I'm curious. Jump to tic 1:18:00 to get to the above.

Lethal Injection: The Story Of Vaccination

peace
edit on 12-12-2011 by silo13 because: leaving tic mark

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Absolutely not....

It is up to the parents on how their child views the world. People need to stop having kids they can't afford because it's not fair to the well being of the child. Too many kids are having kids today!! I know people who have kids KNOWING they can't provide for them right now and honestly I feel no sympathy for them. I feel for the child. IMO it's selfish to have a child when you can't afford to take care of it. I have a few friends who are in this situation and I feel for them but it was their choice to have a kid and I dont like it when Im made to feel like I should feel sorry for them because I dont have kids. Sorry not my fault you decided to have unprotected sex which results in pregnancy. I think we all learned that at an early age, sex=babies.

I am 33 and have no kids by choice because I wanted to wait til I had the right partner to have kids with. In the next couple years or so I will have my first child. My fiancee and I are ready for kids in the near future and we will make sure they are provided for and are raised to appreciate what they have and will also give back! They will know security and love and will not lack anything..and I don't mean material possessions.

You will never be ready for kids no matter how much money you have! Its up to you as the parent to raise them with guidance but you should always make sure you can provide for that child before you have it because it's just not fair to the kid.

S&F

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

i hate that phrase bc i cant see the connection, if the world is wrong how dont u discuss about world solutions or wrong reasons as the only thing that matter, the statement that all is wrong is not nothing, how can u think about such relative thing and showing it as if it matter more, if the world is wrong then u r wrong then anything do not exist really as u, how if u dont exist it matters what u r doing, mayb on the contrary u should if that please u bring 20 children to u, since all is nothing when u r not so from ur perspective as u cant b they wont exist either or surely less

i hate that phrase bc i heard before where it comes from, creations justifications sake, yea stop making new creations we have to solve the creations of now to agree with for a new religion to creations inspiration constancy first, to stabilize our powers on creations before meaning more profits from by bringing out children that would b the easiest life we can get from

so this phrase is absurd in truth, while it is using truth as logics way to justify its belonging totally to what is never true

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I was probably a little harsh in my last post and I apologise - long day. But I have not changed my point of view.

The world has been in far worse places than it has been today, so I am still confused about the negativity which seems to pervade so many people's worldview, especially all of us here who I assume are from 1st world countries where the threat day to day violence, or the worry of not being able to provide clean drinking water or food is not something most of us have to worry about. No one is asking you to raise your child in Somalia.

What kind of world do you think we are destined for if the insightful, empathtic people choose not to have children, but the those that really don't care are pumping out one every two years as soon as they're a few years into puberty?

You underestimate children if you do not think they will be able to cope, especially if nurtured by parents that actually give a damn. You think our generation is the one that will 'heal the world'? We may be able to start the process but it's the future thinkers of tomorrow that must finish off the work. You think a child that was brought up with love ever regretted being born?

It is ridiculous to suggest no one should have any children until the world is perceived as being 'perfect'. For it will never be that way and it never has been either. OP do you really think that by stopping the workers from having any children you will effect corporations in any way at all? Even if you could manage it by the time any noticeable effects come into play all the fatcats leading these corporations will have long since retired and the executives of tomorrow will have filled these positions with cheap labor leaving even more people redundant.

But a larger population ultimately means more opportunities. Its simple economics. Obviously the world does have a maximum population capacity it can hold. But if we use our resources wisely we won't ever see this reached in our or our childrens lifetimes.

But who will be there to make these wise choices if the world is populated by children whose parents didn't care.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf
What kind of world do you think we are destined for if the insightful, empathtic people choose not to have children, but the those that really don't care are pumping out one every two years as soon as they're a few years into puberty?

I am not responsible for the Duggars of the world or what will happen if people keep pumping out kids they can't care for, but it's also not my responsibility to make sure to procreate so there will be some smart, well-adjusted people for them to mate with...

There is only so much nurturing parents can do... We can't provide clean air or water. We can't cleanse the earth of pollutants and other chemicals that are making us sicker every day. We can't change the greedy and power-hungry attitude that seems to be so prevalent in all walks of life, especially government. We can't change people's prejudices, hatred and empty, lost souls.

It is ridiculous to suggest no one should have any children until the world is perceived as being 'perfect'.

No one has suggested that.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 1littlewolf

No one is suggesting the world needs to be perfect. What some people are suggesting is the world is messed up and we really need to correct a few things before we start bringing Children into the world.

We have reached the seven billion mark - think of all the sewerage from those people everyday - how long will our water supply be able to cleanse itself until it cannot continue. Think of the garbage and refuse from seven billion people and how long it takes to break down.

Think about all the vaccines and chemicals in the air the water and ground. How about we help the Japanese people and their country - there are millions of gallons of radiated water pouring into the ocean daily. Do you know how long radiation lives? A bloody long time.

You know the lines all over the planet in the atlas books - to indicate countries and boundaries and states etcetera - well take them away and you have planet Earth and every thing that is ecologically unsafe in one part of the planet will eventually effect other parts of the planet.

This is why I will not bring a Child into this world - I believe we need to take care of the planet and help her heal - then I will be happy to start a family - but not before - Children do not need to walk head first into the mess we made.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

if u believe that earth is sick then u dont believe that it is true, when u dont believe that truth is exclusively wat exist then u r never true, when u r never true while free obvious awareness able to realize object free expressions clearly asserting those beliefs as facts, then u r wether a liar or ruled by liars and both

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
This is something I struggle with a bit. I have a three-year-old son and I want another child. I want to raise him/her to the best of my ability instilling in them my beliefs and a healthy skepticism, to be self reliant and confident. However, the pain I already feel for my first child and what he will have to grow up with if things don't change almost takes my breath away at times.

As a mother my experience is that the instinct to protect is overwhelming. The absolute worst pain I have ever experienced was a product of the thought "I might not be able to protect my child from this". This is a pain felt down to the pit of a mother's very being, it is indescribable.

I read a quote once, and I don't know who it is from but I'll paraphrase "To have a child is to choose to have one's heart run around out side their body forever". I don't think many truer words have been spoken.

I do believe there is a great responsibility for potential parents to consider the child's future and what the world might be like when they are adults. Giving a child life is an incredible thing, but it is wise to consider exactly what it is you are giving them.

I am torn because, as an earlier poster said, you could argue that if the parents intelligent enough to see this dilemma stop procreating then we could theoretically end up with a population full of procreating idiots. I see that, I consider it. This is quite the topic, OP, I am very conflicted.

There was a time recently we had fallen on incredibly hard times, and we thought that I was with child. Usually when taking a pregnancy test I am anxious, excited, and when the negative comes I feel let down. This time when I took the test, the negative appeared and I caught myself breathing a sigh of relief. As my husband put it "There is something about buying your wife a pregnancy test with change that really puts bringing a child into this world into perspective."

People say deciding to have a child is one of the most selfless decisions one can make. I am starting to think the decision to not have a child is one of the most selfless decisions one can make. Thanks OP you got me thinking, stars and flags.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
My girlfriend is currently half way through pregnancy of our third child (my first). I'm really quite worried about the future for all of us. I'm in the uk and a self employed joiner, currently got no work on and nothing on the horrizon and the job market is bleek.

I know I will do what ever I can for my family tho as I always have.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
People say deciding to have a child is one of the most selfless decisions one can make. I am starting to think the decision to not have a child is one of the most selfless decisions one can make.

I completely agree. We HAVE children for selfish reasons: To have someone to love, to have someone who loves us, to see ourselves reflected in the world, to feel pride and love, to leave a legacy, to carry on our name, to have a family of our own... Those things, we do for ourselves.

I don't understand how people can think having children is selfless...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

Thank you I read you reply but I had difficulty understanding what you are trying to tell me. Can you please maybe use sentences or put a space between your sentences.

I would like to understand what you are saying - I respect all opinions even when they differ from my own.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
A new life is a new chance to help the world. Plus it is natural instinct to preserve life despite the pitfalls. It's not like the criminals won't stop having kids; why should they alone inherit the world? It's your own choice to have children. Nothing is good or bad but thinking makes it so, it's your choice how you chose to view the world.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

You are very brave to have a Child. I am not nearly so brave. I felt for you as I read your post and I guess you are feeling the reality in which we live. You are right you cannot protect your Child from everything and that is why I have not had any Children. Having been a Police officer I have seen what people can do do a Child - and I have lived in a capital city near a place where street Children would frequent. I am now a Teacher and see how the education system crushes their Spirit but I know I am where I am meant to be.

The reality is society is not improving - there are those of us who want to improve it but it will take time. I fear for the Students when they leave school and try to enter the employment scene. Jobs are so hard to come by just visit any capital city anywhere in the world and you will find cab drivers with not just one but multiple degrees. I worked in a supermarket once with an immigrant - he liked to practice speaking English with me - he had to escape his country because the leader wanted him dead - he was the editor of the arts section of a popular newspaper and wrote articles that were not wanted. I also worked at a supermarket with a woman who told me that in her country she is a gynaecologist - she had to retrain to reach the standards of my country - Australia.

Good luck whatever you choose to do - you sound like you care about the unborn Child and soooo many don't. I don't agree with people who think that if the considerate people stop having babies and the unknowing continue then society will be a disaster - I think they are wrong. It would polarise society if anything and that would be a start to getting things right. Just my opinion.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

reply to post by Amanda5

It is ridiculous to suggest no one should have any children until the world is perceived as being 'perfect'.

It seemed to be implied in both your responses, but i guess we can all get a little extreme when we feel strongly about something.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I am not responsible for the Duggars of the world or what will happen if people keep pumping out kids they can't care for, but it's also not my responsibility to make sure to procreate so there will be some smart, well-adjusted people for them to mate with...

All true. And I've never heard but do like the term 'Duggars'.
But this is not some call to arms for all the smart people to begin a breeding regime. But it is still something to consider....

There is only so much nurturing parents can do... We can't provide clean air or water. We can't cleanse the earth of pollutants and other chemicals that are making us sicker every day. We can't change the greedy and power-hungry attitude that seems to be so prevalent in all walks of life, especially government. We can't change people's prejudices, hatred and empty, lost souls.

Prejudices, hatred, greed, hunger for power and lost souls have always existed. At least today the term 'prejudice' not only exists, but is seen as a negative thing. It has not always been this way.

But despite your claim that people are getting sicker everyday, we are still living longer than ever before which seems to discount that theory. We can provide clean water, I certainly don't believe you are walking 15 miles a day to fetch a pail from a muddy polluted stream when you have a drink.

Yes the air is getting dirtier. But it has only been 25 years since the world has even begun to care about the effects it is having on the planet. There will aways be a lag time between realization and action. Both my wife and son have asthma, and I have no doubt air pollution has played some role in this but neither of them wish they had never been born.

Originally posted by Amanda5

No one is suggesting the world needs to be perfect. What some people are suggesting is the world is messed up and we really need to correct a few things before we start bringing Children into the world.

We have reached the seven billion mark - think of all the sewerage from those people everyday - how long will our water supply be able to cleanse itself until it cannot continue. Think of the garbage and refuse from seven billion people and how long it takes to break down.

Think about all the vaccines and chemicals in the air the water and ground.

7 billion….? And you think one or two more will make any difference. I do not believe any you are living in some war-torn strife-driven 3rd world nation where these problems you speak are happening day to day. Nor do I believe any child you bring into the world will ever face these problems first hand. So I still don’t see what your issue is. You don’t want to bring a child into the world cos it may see news reports of all these horrors you speak of?

I’m guessing you live in the States, and I’m not exactly sure how you guys do things there. But here in Australia our sewage is cleaned before it enters the ocean, our water is cleaned before it enters our taps. Our garbage is for the most part disposed of responsibly. Yes they could do much much better, but the way my country and yours takes care of the environment is improving (yes it is slow) day by day.

How long seriously do you intend waiting?

How about we help the Japanese people and their country - there are millions of gallons of radiated water pouring into the ocean daily. Do you know how long radiation lives? A bloody long time.
Are you sending them money? Are you out there cleaning up radioactive waste? Japan is a very rich country and more than capable of taking care of its own. No one can ever guarantee there won’t be another environmental disaster somewhere. I do not see how this even factors into the equation.

You know the lines all over the planet in the atlas books - to indicate countries and boundaries and states etcetera - well take them away and you have planet Earth and every thing that is ecologically unsafe in one part of the planet will eventually effect other parts of the planet.

The world is slowly learning responsibility. Things will slowly get better. And until that time I have no doubt that the cozy little 1st world country in which you live in’s lifespans will still get longer as they are today. Proving that you and everyone around you are not nearly as affected by all this as you are trying to make out.

This is why I will not bring a Child into this world - I believe we need to take care of the planet and help her heal - then I will be happy to start a family - but not before - Children do not need to walk head first into the mess we made.

Much Peace...

I do not see why it must be one or the other. I choose to do both. My kids are living a much better life than I did growing up and I love showing them the true beauty which still exists in the world today, in the hopes that they will take better care of it tomorrow than my parents generation did.

Love and Light Amanda5

edit on 12/12/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I can follow you through most of your post.

But not everyone drives the same way. Some people are fine being poor with a couple children. They view family as the ultimate gift and the most enjoyable thing they could be doing.

As technology improves life will gradually get better for EVERYONE, including the poor.

It's a matter of getting by. Not easy. Even rich kids have large inner psychological wars they fight. And then the stress of school and expectations can really hurt you. But when somebody cannot have a basic quality of life because they're out of work and out of hope then things can quickly fall apart and one morning you find their dead body being moved to the hospital morgue.

The average life expectency of a homeless person is 48, according to google.
edit on 12-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join