It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythic monsters and beasts of old, could they hold truth in their roots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Alright, so most of us were raised to believe that monsters and such didn't,t exist. Is this so? Every story, myth, and legend has it's roots, how did it start, surely they weren't.all made up when you have ancient people in the four corners of the world all claimed to have seen beasts that all share very common characteristics. Take dragons for example, as far as we know they no longer exist, I've never seen one. However, ancient cultures were apparently convinced they existed. Civilizations such as Babylon, Greece, Rome, South Americans, Native Americans, Australia, and even the Middle East! Several such descriptions lie within the Bible, and epics such as the legend of Beowulf, Gilgamesh and Fafnir. A search of the Bible will reveal 34 dragon references spanned across 10 different books all written between 2000 BC and 90 ad. One such identification can be found in the book of job verses 40 and 41, in which the names behemoth and Leviathan. Also, another fun fact, Tiamat the Babylonian God of chaos was depicted as a dragon, would not a dragon be obserebed as a God by ancient man and wreck chaos?
However my man question is: has anyone ever seen a beast or monster? Something that just simply couldn't be explained any other way? I'mm open to ideas but please no made up accounts. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
To be honest and completely opened minded there's literally nothing that says 'some' dinosaurs may have been capable of spitting something acidic along the lines of the bombardier beetle. We just assume that that's impossible because it doesn't fit into our current perception of the animal world.

But just think about it, NOTHING about dinosaurs fits into our day to day perspective of animals. Nothing even close so who's to say what some dinos may or may not have been capable of. I'd also like to add that I'm a firm believer that some dinos did make it and coexisted along side some 'humans' as per evidence from ancient cave drawings and sculptures. Do I believe they're STILL here? Nah. At least not naturally.

Edit: And the craziest thing I've seen was a little white animal that curled into a ball and rolled down a subway tunnel. Two witnesses were with me, my younger cousin and my father. We all saw it. It looked like a rattish weasl but curled into a ball like that movie Critters. I still don't understand what I saw really.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Watts because: .

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
In modern day Australia we are taught to hide our roots.
2nd line.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
when I was a kid I imagined that a group of ancient knights came across a set of dinosaur bones and proclaimed it to be a dragons skeleton. that was my only reasoning back then for there to be actual dragons.

if we go with the ancient aliens theory, perhaps their pets?? or hybrid creations? i'm not very partial to ancient aliens but in this topic, anythings possible really.

there would be a lot of evidence, unless there is and it's in top secret facilities along with werewolves, vampires and a cryogenically frozen troll.

it might just be a creation of our own in our dreams and the dreamworld.
or an actual reality, interdimensional disturbances? holographic images? instantaneous matter synergy?
sci fi gibberish?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Well it must be something to it because every single major ancient culture has a dragon in one form or another. What are the odds of everyone imagining the exact same beast with the similar if not exact same abilities?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Never discount the possibilities.
As a good example, Bigfoot, in most of the descriptions looks identical to an actual creature that 'used' to exist, we have fossil evidence of it and it's recorded in mainstream science, it's "Australapithicus" (spelling may be wrong)
I saw a mock up of what one would look like and it was identical to most bigfoot sightings, looked similar to harry from 'Harry and the Hendersons"

My weird critters?
1. I was about 8 years old and in the bush (Australia) and i saw what i can only describe as Bigfoot but with the colouration of an Emu, it certainly was not an emu as i am familiar with what one looks like and they look nothing like an 8 foot upright ape creature, plus they are not native to the part of Australia that i was in at the time.

2. A few months ago i saw what looked vaguely like an urangutan, only all i could make out was the dark outline, it was like a solid shadow, completely black but shaped like an urangutan and moving as fast as a mouse does when it runs across your kitchen floor, also it moved on it's hind legs and did not waddle the an urang does when it walks. There are no primates in Australia outside of zoo's.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watts
reply to post by yourmaker

Well it must be something to it because every single major ancient culture has a dragon in one form or another. What are the odds of everyone imagining the exact same beast with the similar if not exact same abilities?

some of the legendary creatures on wikipedia...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

the dragon is a very peculiar one, recognized as far back as 16th century AD

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Watts

Good point and interesting encounter, i'd say the loch ness monster exists as a decendant of the plesiosaur.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Watts

Jurasic park had the same thought, wheather spitting acids or toxins, they were prob usesd to track pray spat at or bitten as many of todays reptiles do. I still think later dinos/ reptiles were warm blooded!!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

your point on Nessie, seemingly there are not enough fish in the loch to feed a breeding family of large animals.
I think that the loch & area around are honeycombed, poss leading to North Sea .

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

I witnessed a Cabrosaurus off a small, virtually uninhabited island off the west coast of Vancouver Island about 12 years ago. We were camping on the beach, and I was up very early that morning on a beautiful summers day. The waters were as calm as glass, and visibility was pretty good. Plus, I was lucky enough to have binoculars with me too, so I got a really good look at it - facial features, eyes, whiskers etc. I woke my partner up, and she got a good look at it as well - with binoculars and without. It was around 60 feet away from shore, and the whole sighting lasted about 6 minutes maybe. But that was plenty of time to recognize we were observing a living, breathing creature that is still unknown to science.

So yes, I think there are still creatures out there that are unkown to us, waiting to be discovered. Was it a "monster"? I guess it was a creature our forefathers would have termed a "sea monster" I suppose - so in that sense - I guess you could call it a "monster".

It would be very foolhardy of us to assume we know everything about this big, beautiful planet we inhabit just yet. There is still much to discover I think. Never be too eager to nay-say others who have seen something unusual is the intelligent tact really. I've never seen a Komodo Dragon either, but we all know they exist. Not too long ago scientists laughed at the idea of rocks falling from the sky too. Today we call them meteors...

edit on 13-12-2011 by jimbo999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
Never discount the possibilities.
As a good example, Bigfoot, in most of the descriptions looks identical to an actual creature that 'used' to exist, we have fossil evidence of it and it's recorded in mainstream science, it's "Australopithecus" (spelling may be wrong)
I saw a mock up of what one would look like and it was identical to most bigfoot sightings, looked similar to harry from 'Harry and the Hendersons"

My weird critters?
1. I was about 8 years old and in the bush (Australia) and i saw what i can only describe as Bigfoot but with the colouration of an Emu, it certainly was not an emu as i am familiar with what one looks like and they look nothing like an 8 foot upright ape creature, plus they are not native to the part of Australia that i was in at the time.

2. A few months ago i saw what looked vaguely like an urangutan, only all i could make out was the dark outline, it was like a solid shadow, completely black but shaped like an urangutan and moving as fast as a mouse does when it runs across your kitchen floor, also it moved on it's hind legs and did not waddle the an urang does when it walks. There are no primates in Australia outside of zoo's.

Interesting post. Thanks. I thought the creature that existed until recently that most resembled Bigfoot/Sasquatch was actually "Gigantapithicus"?

Australopithecus is generally assumed to have been around 3.5 to 4.10 inches in height, whereas Gigantapithicus is estimated to have been around 9 feet tall, weighing in at around 600 pounds. Much more in the Sasquatch size range. Interestingly, Giganta supposedly went extinct around 100,000 years ago. Austra several million years ago, making Giganta, for me anyhow, far more likely the culprit.

Either way, thanks for the interesting info

www.wynja.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnCreed777
Take dragons for example, as far as we know they no longer exist, I've never seen one. However, ancient cultures were apparently convinced they existed.

Although I am not convinced, I found an article online a few years ago interesting enough to save.
It was an article from the EPOCH TIMES entitled "DRAGONS IN THE TIBET SKY".
en.epochtimes.com... In the article, there are a couple small pictures of something flying. The photos were supposedly taken while flying near the Himalayan Mountains. I
I live in Ohio, USA and have no idea how credible this source is, but it I found it sort of intriguing. Personally, I am not aware of any unknown creatures I have experienced.

new topics

top topics

join