It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Christmas like for rich kids?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This may be lengthy but I tried to spark this conversation with a tangible person and had no luck, and I feel chatty so I will write.

First: What propelled me to actually ask this question that I have wondered about many times.

Every Christmas I go out and pick out a big beautiful tree. Sometimes I’ll even splurge and buy one in the $60 range. It’s usually a full, perfectly shaped, great smelling tree. My husband’s participation ends when its standing straight in the stand. Then I spend an hour or so putting 800 or more lights on it. After that my 2 boys will put on a few ornaments on it, and then…that’s it. No real fun, jokes, or calibration.

This Christmas I decided to save some money and use the “loner” tree. It’s a 6ft. Pitifully shaped, artificial tree that I have lent out to people over the years. I put this simple tree together, and stuck it on a table… Oh then the jokes started. My one son and I we’re a little bummed out, but we both got over it. Everyone helped from start to finish. We had fun, we laughed, and we made a really great memory while learning an important lesson. It’s not about what the tree looks like when you start. It’s about the joy of working together making it beautiful and making it yours.

So I have often wondered what life is like for people who are born wealthy. Just their day to day. What it’s like to never worry about money, and to have the ability to take care of almost all of your families wants or needs in an instant. I wonder if they ever sit back and wonder what it’s like for people like me. I wonder a lot…

So with it being Christmas time, and after the great day I had with my kids, I’m wondering: Where do they get their lessons? What’s Christmas like for them? When you can have anything you want all year round do the kids get any REAL joy on Christmas morning? Do they lay in their beds hoping and praying to get that expensive thing they asked for? Do they even know they’re being cheated??

I love my kids and the life we have and wouldn’t change a thing…PEACE
Happy Holidays

edit on 11-12-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Well, your question is a matter of perspective. If you live in the US and are on welfare, you are in the top 20% of wage earners on the planet. How is Christmas for you while your kids have food, your house has running water and electricity and you have access to medicine and medical care?

So many people take for granted what they have.

I am sure there are allot of people all over the world who think about the life you have and wonder if you think about them...... hint hint.
edit on 11-12-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
christmas for rich kids is like...an all you can eat FREE buffet for obnoxiously obese people...

they get all their spoiled little hearts desire thus being completely ignorant to what christmas is actually about.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Oh yes..I wonder about them too. As a matter of fact "they" we're a part of the lesson. I know there are kids with nothing all over the world, and I make sure my kids are thankful for everything we do have. Just because i'm not on the bottom step doesn't make it wrong for me to wonder what its like on the top step...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
we usually get legit stuff like luxury submarines, and million dollar laptops, personal planes...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
So i might be able to answer your question. I hang around with a lot of pretty wealthy kids at college, many from the bay area, and i gotta say idk how they enjoy christmas. Each one has a parents credit card and is able to use it whenever they want, for instance my good friend went shopping two weeks ago and bought a bunch of new winter clothes. I know for christmas all he asked for is a spring break trip ranging around $1500 or so.

For me, i would say im middle class i dont get much for christmas cause my parents pay for everything already (college, car insurance, phone) so thats ok with me cause those are gifts everyday to have them. My favorite thing about christmas is the food and not studying

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Someone who would be in about the same situation as those people in Africa if not for the pure dumb luck of being born into a country that has some basic safety nets available?

The attitude that a person isn't in poverty until they're starving to death and living like a stray dog is abhorrent. It's like saying that someone with a sprained ankle should feel lucky and just walk it off because they don't have a broken femur.

If you would be going hungry or without shelter but for the grace of God and the fortune to live in a country with safety nets, you're living in poverty

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Here's a good example of Christmas for rich kids...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Guess it depends on the family.
Wealthy or poor,it is about tradition.
Each family has their traditions on what Christmas is about.
I wouldn't say it is about the type of tree you have,but what goes into making it your Christmas tree.
What you put into decorating it and including the family as a festive event.
That is my take on it.

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
You learned the most important lesson!

Size matters not!!!

haha,

Lemme tell you about my Christmas.

We have a little 3 foot pop up, fiber optic plastic tree...

We used to do the big ole... takes hours to get up tree...

But this lil one, just jerk it out of the box and plug it in, and there ya go!

We keep it on a table so it is up in the air more...

when its all done and over... unplug it and back in the box, into the closet it goes!

I never did have a "bad" Christmas... I got lots of stuff as a child, But I did get less than "most" children in my community... but by any means it was not pitiful for me lol

I'm an Adult now and to be honest its nice to get something... but its not required, ya know... its about family to me...

I am unemployed living in the bottom of the barrel section of America....

I was counting on a small check from google
(they pay me for the ads they placed on my site)
(and its rare I earn past the threshold to get paid... two checks in two years...)

Its by NO means a big lump sum.... its... more than a hundred dollars.... less than two hundred dollars lol

But in order to get my wife and parents something for Christmas I was hoping to receive this before Christmas...
It was my only way of having money for Christmas...

Well I recently found out that I wont get it before the 25th... so that means hugs is all my family gets from me!

Kinda depressing in many ways... but i'm thankful to have a family to hug.

I just hope they carry my same way of thinking, lol or else.... it might suck lol

To be honest I had hoped for the past 3 months on earning that check before Christmas...
Cos the threshold for payment was drawing near...
When I found out it would not arrive before Christmas...
It was about 2am

I was the only one awake, I broke down and cried like a pansie.

Its been a testing Holiday season so far... Found out my Mom more than likely needs open heart surgery, possibly before Christmas...

And it got to me when I found out that my money was not coming when I had hoped...
and the tears poured...

But I got that out of my system and I realized thats not what Christmas is about...

Its about Family!!!

I love mine.

If you can have fun with your family putting up a "loaner" tree then thats Awesome!

I hope your holiday this year is rocking!

-Merry Christmas

EDIT: Forget to address your question head on, lol sorry...

Wouldnt it be awesome to wake up Christmas morning with a new car parked outside with that BIG red ribbon on it... just like in the commercials?! With ya name on it, ready for ya to drive!

But I wouldnt trade it for what I currently have

edit on 12/11/11 by EvolEric because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by thatshicray

Thanks for understanding my question, and your reply!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

ERIC!!! What an awesome reply, thank you so much! I'm sure your loving arms will do just fine for everyone. I know how you feel, it's such a crunch to accomplish all of you goals for the holiday...And just one thing dosn't go your way ...and you gotta cut somethings out...but life goes on, and we're better for it. Thanks again

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Christmas for rich kids is probably the same as it is for you and me.

Some of them probably throw a tantrum because they only got a porche instaed of the lamborgini they asked for. For some rich kids the family christmass dinner is proably and agonising time for them which they choose to go so they dont get disinherited. Some rich kids probaly even take their personal body gaurd or lawyer with them to the family christmass dinner.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
My wife and I don't make a whole lot of money but it seems like our daughter is so spoiled. Last year, was her first Christmas and we probably spent 300-500 just on her--and she was15 months old at the time. This year we actually cut back a little bit but the rest of the family are spending a lot. Maybe, it has to do with her being an only child. Either way, we aren't rich but we love our daughter. I guess it really depends on a lot of factors...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

They don't seem rich, they just seem like the average kids that are a bit spoiled. I know lots of rich kids and they wouldn't do this. They get a BMW for Xmas, or something very nice

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I've had times of bad fortune and I've had times of good fortune. I can tell you the best memories I have are from the "lean times". Yes, it makes you appreciate things more. When you can have anything you want anytime, it's nothing to look forward to.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by unknown32

I agree. The boys in the video arn't the wealthy people I'm refering to.

Funny how in one night my emotions can change so quickly. Last night I had a positive attitude about being broke before christmas, today im having a nervous breakdown....

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Those aren't rich kids those are spoiled brats and the one obviously can't take a joke!

All he seemed to care about were his presents....then he sets the tree on fire?!? Wow how mature?!

If I were his parents, he'd get zero every Christmas after that.
edit on 12/12/2011 by mblahnikluver because: grammar nazi my own post

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Well, growing up, I had a friend that lived up the road that was very loaded. I was always envious about what she got for Christmas. I always wanted to be at her house. She always wanted to be at mine. Well, now I know why she always wanted to be at mine. Her parents were always "away" for Christmas. Seriously, who would not want to see their kids open presents on Christmas morning? They would be gone for at least two weeks every year.

Heck, even when divorced, we split Christmas day because I refused not to be able to be with my boys.

top topics

join