It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edwards absence from Vietnam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I find it funny that Kerry would claim that Cheney should not be vice president because he had deferments from service to vietnam and his own VP choice had them and did not go to war either. Where is the press when it comes to Edwards service?

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
i'm not sure how the draft worked and if he got a deferrment, but he graduated from college in 1974, and the war was winding down by 1972-73, even though we were not completly out yet.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Edwards has been absent from alot of things,...including his last/first political job. Maybe taking on high commision lawsuits has kept him busy.

Not much chatter about Edwards in the news lately...hmmm.

Maybe a smart thing, to keep him out of the line of fire.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
I find it funny that Kerry would claim that Cheney should not be vice president because he had deferments from service to vietnam and his own VP choice had them and did not go to war either. Where is the press when it comes to Edwards service?

Really? You find that funny? Cheney claimed Kerry's Vietnam record deemed him unfit to be Commander and Chief. Kerry replied he won't be questioned on Vientnam service by a man with 5 questionable deferments. Makes perfect sense to me.

And what would you have the press discuss about Edwards? That he was 12 in 1965 when Cheney got his first deferment after 2 DUI's and dropping out of Yale?
Friends, Cheney was prime draft meat. What intervened?

Cheney had already graduated from his back up college and got a 3a deferment for having "dependents" in 1965 when he had none.

His first child was born in July 1966 nine months and two days after Selective Service declared married men with no children were subject to the draft.

Yes, where is the press on where Vice Presidential candidates were during Vietnam? Cheney was either in the drunk tank or dodging the draft with shady lies about having children. Edwards was either too young during the war or in undergrad at the very end of the war. PLEASE feel free to write a nasty letter to CNN asking why they don't cover it?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Edwards has been absent from alot of things,...including his last/first political job.

Edwards was a great Senator for North Carolina. I was hoping that Kerry would pick him as a running mate.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:25 AM
link   
It's Kerry who's making the vp vietnam service an issue. Just like Kerry making Vietnam a central issue in his campaign.

Edwards was either too young during the war or in undergrad at the very end of the war.

does this mean that Edwards had deferments, I mean, after all how did he get out of being drafted?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal

Edwards has been absent from alot of things,...including his last/first political job.

Edwards was a great Senator for North Carolina. I was hoping that Kerry would pick him as a running mate.

I agree completely. Just merely kicking out incumbent Lauch Faircloth of the hand picked Jesse Helms axis of ignorance is worthy of a medal.

I'm in NC too, and the political sniping can get pretty sickening here. A no show like Libby Dole isn't questioned, but a man running for President, then VP is deemed "not on the job." Or I love the purpose of this thread...Draft dodger at 12!

We're supposed to be privy to some new local 527's soon courtesy of Ted Sampley (Rove's pit bull) about Kerry colluding to assassignate Senators in the 70's.
I can't wait.

It's just so damn sad here sometimes. I heard Ed Gilespe on local NPR commenting on Kerry's visit to NC this week as "Oh, we welcome Kerry and Edwards to waste all the time and money they want in NC...it's ours." knowing they can only make such a nasty throwaway statement like that about taking NC for granted on a station like NPR. This market is news deprived like you wouldn't believe. The average person wouldn't even know when they're being made fools of. If they didn't read it on a bumper sticker or hear it in Church, it's not an issue.

Case in point. EVERYBODY has heard about "The Passion" right? I mean it's a runaway conservative hit. They know it's in ARAMAIC!!! The local Wal-Mart had to put up a sign saying they'll accept no more returns for the tape being "broken"...because it's supposed to be in "spanish".

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal

Yeah, he was soooo great. So great, that he was not going to run for another term. He couldn't because polls showed he would lose.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Edwards has been absent from alot of things,...including his last/first political job. Maybe taking on high commision lawsuits has kept him busy.

I wonder if your response would be as pithy if you or someone you knew suffered permanent injury due to medical malpractice.

Why blame the lawyer, when juries decide the outcomes of these cases?

Have you single handedly reviewed the merits (or lack of merit) of each of John Edward�s cases? Or is your swipe at Edward�s profession a convenient surrogate argument against his candidacy, much like the specious comment made regarding �his absence from a lot of things.�

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
It's Kerry who's making the vp vietnam service an issue. Just like Kerry making Vietnam a central issue in his campaign.

Edwards was either too young during the war or in undergrad at the very end of the war.

does this mean that Edwards had deferments, I mean, after all how did he get out of being drafted?

I'm sure he either had one, or his number just never came up. I'm guessing his number never came up or we'd hear about it. While in college (which Cheney wasn't) I don't think you got called. He was still in college when the war ended, so maybe he never had one. How does any of this negate the inherent chickenhawkness of Cheney though?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Yeah, he was soooo great. So great, that he was not going to run for another term. He couldn't because polls showed he would lose.

Got a link reference for that information. Because you being from Louisianna and all must have all the inside info of North Carolina politics

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
RANT, I did see somewhere, and I'm not trying to be divisive or anything, that Edwards had recieved a deferment. my whole point in this thread was not the fact that Edwards missed Vietnam, it was that both sides, Democrats and Republicans have people who have things in thier closet. If you point out the skeletons in my closet, you should make sure that there's not ones in yours. I honestly don't care who went to Vietnam and who did not. What I want to know, is what do you stand for? Did you make your money on misery of others? did you make your money the old fashioned way by inheriting it? It's not how high you jump, or how loud you shout, it's what you do when you come down and stop yelling. Kerry was a no show in the senate, his voting record should be out front and that's what he should be talking about, Not Vietnam. Lots of people went, some wanted to go but couldn't, some ran but before we accuse others of things we should remember, we have all done things in our past that we would like to forget.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Dick Cheney timed his kids to avoid the draft.

Where is the surprise in the 'character' he shows, where is the surprise he clearly has 'issues'?

Really, there is nothing further to say about this man, low-life hypocrite just doesn't cover it.

top topics

join