It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Opinions and Advice for a New Conceal Handgun

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
To start off with, I have a Springfield XDM 9mm. I love it I wont lie. However, yesterday during my conceal and carry course, I tried out some other types of holsters and realized that my weapon is just too large to carry concealed properly.

I have my eye on the p238 Sig Rainbow .380
Not only does it appeal to my feminine side, I liked the handle and weight. However since I have never fired this weapon I wonder...It has a 8lb trigger pull, weighs less than a pound and is only 5.5 in length.

I was also thinking of the SW .380 bodyguard with built in laser......

Any opinions or recommendations?

Price is not a factor. I want a reliable weapon that I can become extremely proficient with.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

.45 for power and 9mm for easier more well placed shot. I think the .45 would be the best IMHO.
It would definitely NOT look feminin or girly either

S&Fs
edit on 11-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If you want real small, light and reliable I got a .32 cal Kel-Tek that I can drop in a loose pocket, no holster, and pretty much forget it's there. It hasn't ever jammed or malfunctioned on me. The down side is accuracy, over about 25 feet I can't put a full clip into a paper plate. But if I need it for self defense I am likely to be a lot closer than 25 feet. It's also available in .380 cal.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Glock G26 is a favorite of mine. one of the most accurate pistols i own and it's very concealable.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Consider a Ruger SP101 in .357 super reliable wheel gun great for cc.

SP101

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Personally, I think that if you are concerned with reliability, you aren't going to find that in a .380. At least I've never found one that I would consider to be truly reliable. My XD 9mm Sub Compact is by far the best gun I've ever owned, and if you are looking for a better way to conceal it, I'd suggest learning how to "dress" (carry/holster) differently. The first step is to enhance with the smaller magazine, and find where it will fit the contour of your body comfortably. Unless you have a very curvacious backside, you might want to consider the small of your back, or off-centered a bit towards your dominant hand. A "paddle holster" that is made for left handed draw, worn under the belt is my preferred method of concealed carry in this fashion. I have found the trade off between the unequaled reliability of the XD, to the TINY bit of added bulk to be well worth it. Of course though, I don't have a "feminine side" to appeal to.

Edit to ask: Do you carry the Service model, compact, or sub compact? There is a BIG difference in their concealability.
edit on 11-12-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Looking at the pictures of the Glock 26, I say it looks very nice. I have not held one of those before. Before I purchased the Springfield, the other Glocks such as the 22 and 23 were just to big for my hand. I like the fact that its a 9mm. I like having the same type of ammo on hand

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Looking at the pictures of the Glock 26, I say it looks very nice. I have not held one of those before. Before I purchased the Springfield, the other Glocks such as the 22 and 23 were just to big for my hand. I like the fact that its a 9mm. I like having the same type of ammo on hand

it's a nice pistol for sure. i am actually better with the 26 then i am with the 17 i have. sticking with one kind of pistol ammo is smart in time of need and 9mm is more findable than most rounds.

wanted to add for it's size it's quite capable, even for me, to hit 14 inch groups at 50 yards.
edit on 11-12-2011 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Yeah like I said, I love my XDM. I would say that yes I was curvy, carrying on my hip belt was fine as long as it was on the outside, but feels too bulky, carrying inside the pants is a no-go. I would love to carry on the shoulder....

I would say reliability was my biggest issue and I don't really like revolvers. I want a magazine that I can drop and reload. I love that my XDM carries 19 rounds
.....Most of my guns are rifles so if I get another handgun, its gotta be something I love for sure......

Anybody own a Sig P220 compact? I would love a review.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I have the S&W bodyguard .380. It is a nice gun, I like it, but I bought it for my wife and she hated it. It is always a double-action trigger pull, it doesn't cock itself like most semis. It is small and light so it gives a good kick. My wife took my Bersa .380 and now I'm stuck with the bodyguard.

It does conceal easily in a pants pocket, underarm holster or usually I carry it in the small of my back and I don't even notice it is there.

The laser is worthless in daylight or from more than 30 feet or so, and I've heard the laasers wear out in a year or so and it takes a pro to change the battery.

All in all, good self defense ccw, but wouldn't be my first choice.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

Edit to ask: Do you carry the Service model, compact, or sub compact? There is a BIG difference in their concealability.

I have the 3.8 barrel XDm that holds 19 r not compact.....

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Another fan of the G26. Anything else is, well, something else. I'm a Glock fanboy.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thank you for your reply!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

What I have heard is that the Glock can sure take a lickin!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I have heard some good press on the XD pistols, however I'm not impressed personally.
Usually I am a hardcore, "it better be made in the US" type person.
But when it comes to weaponry, go German or Austrian....German too as far as I'm concerned.
Any Sig Sauer, HK, Glock will do.
But at all costs I'd avoid S&W semi auto pistols like the plague.
I do prefer their revolvers over any other revolver though.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

My wife preferred the Bersa 9mm.

Nice weapon IMHO

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Smith & Wesson Airwieght .38 special 5 shot hammerless revolver.
Simple, reliable, very light weight. You can not jam it or forget to take the safety off. The clip won't fall out or not seat right (it's a revolver) You won't have to guess if it's got 1 in the chamber or not. Don't think these things won't happen to you. It will unless you are an expert and stay in constant practice. In which case you would already know your weapon of choice.
5 shots is all you need for self defense
If you can't get it done with 5 .38 heavy grain slugs your in over your head.
In which case you should also have brought a 870 12 ga., AK-47 or at least an M-1 Carbine & extra mags
Better stay away from light rounds like .380 or .32 they will kill but it might take a while. knockdown and close range is what you want. At least a .38 special or +P.
Your best self defense tool ...........Good situational awareness skills and personal radar or a pair of fast shoes and winning personality.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I had a Bersa .380 that was nice. It was accurate and all steal frame so the recoil was easy to handle. I also had a Sig. p229 and that thing was the best pistol I ever owned.

I'm fond of Sig's but I would go with something in 9mm because it is a proven round. As much as I don't like Glocks, I would suggest a compact of theirs because it meets size and weight requirements when looking for gun for a concealed carry role.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

I have the 3.8 barrel XDm that holds 19 r not compact.....

That might be your issue then. Check out the sub compact version of the original XD, or the XDM. It holds 18+1 rounds and is VERY concealable in comparison. If you are concerned about reliability, NOTHING beats the XD, not even Glock, and the added safety features and trigger mechanism completely blow it out of the water. Also, the grip profile is often far more suited to females as the contour is more ergonomic. The only downside is that the XD is a bit heavier than the Glock, but only by like an ounce. If you are concerned about accuracy, you also can't beat the XD for accuracy in the sub compact class. I really can't tell any difference between your model and the SC within 50 yards (it's easy for me to get 5 inch groupings with semi-rapid fire). I really think that you would be pleasantly surprised by a 2.5 inch barrel, and the option to carry a smaller magazine (which would give you 14+1 rounds) and decrease your handle length by almost a couple inches, making it FAR more comfortable for concealment.

Edit to add: RELIABILITY! XD is incredible when it comes to this most important feature of a weapon. Check out this breakdown of one of many 20,000 round torture tests that have been performed on the XD.
You have an excellent weapon there. You just may be better suited to one of their smaller models.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Glock may have solved the problem of oversized grips but they still tend to be too thick for easy CC, especially for smaller framed people. The Bersa/Firestorm 380 is low cost and reliable. The Walther PPS is thin and available in 9mm and .40. The various Kahrs are supposed to be ok but in .40 the recoil is a bit sharp. Consider also a Sig P239 or the compact variant of the P250. You can also buy a CC purse with a place for easy access to your weapon which may solve the problem of the overly chunky Glock.
The 9mm is a nice compromise of power and magazine capacity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join