It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The God Particle possible sighting this week

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I love this sort of stuff. Very interesting! Hadn't seen it posted so I thought I would share.

GENEVA (Reuters) - Scientists predicted this weekend that sighting of the first strong signs of a particle vital to support Einstein's ideas on the working of the universe will be reported on Tuesday by the CERN physics research centre.

While warning there would be no announcement of a full scientific discovery, they said even confirmation that something like the long-sought Higgs boson had been spotted would point the way to major advances in knowledge of the cosmos.

Source

More Info

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
"While warning there would be no announcement of a full scientific discovery, they said even confirmation that something like the long-sought Higgs boson had been spotted would point the way to major advances in knowledge of the cosmos"

a.k.a

lol
Were almost there just give us more time and more funding eventually we will get it . We needed this headline to remind you that were closer and closer.

It it wasn't for a funding grab , i wish they would keep it to them selfs untill they actually have evidence and data instead of hearsay and hope

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

yea i totally agree...i actually find it funny that they can "predict" when they might find it lol

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
That's cool!
And, btw, people should REALLY stop calling the higgs-boson the "God" particle, it makes it pretty hard to explain to people that there is science beyond the higgs-boson

Way to go, Lhc people!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Would anyone kind enough telling me what the "God Particle" is?

Nave question? Maybe so. For once, I'm not going to act like I know it all. I'm kind of a douche and trying to get over that.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Mizzijr

This should cover it.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr
Would anyone kind enough telling me what the "God Particle" is?

Nave question? Maybe so. For once, I'm not going to act like I know it all. I'm kind of a douche and trying to get over that.

It's the "goddamn" particle.
God has nothing to do with it!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HappyBunny

Exactly, it's probably also the single handed reason so many people get up in arms about it before they have any idea of what it actually is. If it wasn't for that stupid title we probably would have a lot less exposure to the world of particle physics in the press.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Higgs boson is often referred to as "the God particle" by the media,[48] after the title of Leon Lederman's book, The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?[49] Lederman initially wanted to call it the "goddamn particle," but his editor would not let him.[50] While use of this term may have contributed to increased media interest in particle physics and the Large Hadron Collider,[49] many scientists dislike it, since it overstates the particle's importance, not least since its discovery would still leave unanswered questions about the unification of QCD, the electroweak interaction and gravity, and the ultimate origin of the universe.[48] A renaming competition conducted by the science correspondent for the British Guardian newspaper chose the name "the champagne bottle boson" as the best from among their submissions: "The bottom of a champagne bottle is in the shape of the Higgs potential and is often used as an illustration in physics lectures. So it's not an embarrassingly grandiose name, it is memorable, and [it] has some physics connection too."[51]

edit on 12-12-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

top topics

join