Poro Poro - The Temple of Water

page: 1

join
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Poro Poro ruins are in the rainy area located in Lambayeque (Peru), it is one of the 70 archeological sites, from different pre-inca cultures in that area, with major influence of the Chavin Culture.

It was discovered in the 70's, but not until now it had been considered by peruvian government and recognized as a wildlife refuge (UDIMA Wildlife Refuge). We are talking of 12,183.20 hectares, between 2 states (departaments), Lambayeque and Cajamarca.

Poro Poro was found by the scientific expedition led by Dr. Walter Alva in 1978, remains of a splendid complex is one of the most amazing Cajamarca (and the northern region of Peru - according to Dr Alva ) consisting of a sort of large department or Temple, carved in stone, pre-Chavín style, dating from about 3,500 a. D C.

Archaeological remains in Poro Poro:

“La Grada”

It includes a small hill about 40 X 30 m., bordered east and west by a steep slope and the mountain cliff espectively. Beside him sits a crack that separates the Temple II to the north a mild general depression in the ground of the plateau. The blocks are a visible sign of good finish in the sunken plaza, this had a depth of 2.5 m, with a carved block form regularly elongated, with its location and placement easier to form temples.

" Lithic Altar Wells"

The altar of the wells Lithic: This paper set my attention on the size monolithic entities mentioned displacement and character size, basically it is a natural form consists of a large erratic block of stone and similar parameters used in where we could work with chisels wood and stone-tipped so hard to do important work. This altar has five tiers and 180 ° circular on over there is found a 10 pocitos or sinks, we can say that their work served to make work metal like lava or give some kind of homage to their gods. This lithtic altar has the following measures: Height: 3.50 m, width: 5.50 m, length: 6.00 m.

With complex representations which can be seen figurative designs combined with geometric elements, appearing to be formed, these profiles represent figures of mythological characters and stylized fronts very
difficult to define or separate, but is training affiliation study unmistakable. Among them are identified eyes, frets and part of an angular face displaying a row of teeth without fangs, cut in section higher during the preparation work to overlay the block superior.

"The Mill"
It is located in the lower village of Poro Poro, on the slopes St. Lawrence being in walking distance of the village, it is thought that there were human remains within this layer of stone. The site called Mill by locals referring to a slab with central perforation, exposed and out of context considered by them as a grinding slab. This mill an underground channel detected in the front and side building. This has been conditioned by side slabs placed vertically on a horizontal array of other pre-establishing the ground duct, has a perfect finish with a slight angular end, the pipeline or underground channel has a length of 18 m, long and 25 cm. wide. This stone called the Mill has a flat surface 2 m. long by 1.40 m. wide and its orifice has a length of 15 cm. thick.

"Calvary"

It includes an elongated hill about 90 X 40 m., with an axis imaginary south facing and located at the foot of the cliff called Calvary, where Mr. Pedersen reported Chavinoid pictographs above. At first glance presents certain artificial impression provided by two front terraces and a succession of planes, the latter distinguished a series of simple walls (two sides) and in adjacent areas, remnants of large blocks carved parameters. In the vicinity are also some remains of monolithic carvings block and unfinished process of devastation or cut. One of the tapes
high relief to have the guitar.

"The Pulpit"

This icon is seen in the value of this stone well carved lithic polished. It is located approximately 1.2 km due north of Poro Poro, and an altitude of 2650 meters above sea level approximately. Includes limited by a narrow plateau where there are three outstanding monolithic interesting carvings and remains of buildings.

The main carving was executed by a large erratic block of approximately 7.50 m, height, 6.70 m. long and 8, wide, emerging in the average slope, is prominently visible in this section of the site, its no evidence curved front face major changes, but in the top and back were carved three large angular steps alignment varied heights and decreasing upward, the rough-cut considerably the original rock, holding the side edges by way of sector guards and forward a kind of ledge 95 cm., height which provides the overall impression of the Pulpit, its strategic location allows link to guidelines in the planning functions and activities supposedly developed at the site, considering that at the bottom there is a possible place intimated by a free extension, dominates the Pulpit.

Besides the arquelogical sites, this place is also a rainforest home of 41 endemic plant species, 3 endemic species of mammals, 11 endemic bird species, 2 species of endemic amphibians, 2 species of endemic fish.

According to Walter Alva (the archeologist who discovered), the monumental stone structures of Poro Poro could change everything we know about the origins of civilization in that region.

The links (Sorry guys, but only spanish links this time) :

www.historiayarqueologia.com...
www.comechingonia.com...
www.soloparaviajeros.pe...
www.larepublica.pe...
edit on 11-12-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Nice find Trueman, I've never heard of this ancient site and greatly appreciate your posting it.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by fishing4truth

Thank you, I've been working on this one almost all the afternoon. I appreciate your post.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

What an inspiring post - thank you.

We have so much history on this planet that is still to be unravelled. I am trying to picture the people who would have been utilising the stone artifacts shown in the photographs. So much has been hidden and lost and destroyed but I love to see another site that stimulates my thinking.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

So amazing and quite beautiful!

Great post! Thank you for sharing your findings.

Keep up the good work friend.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I just want to thank you all, I appreciate your flags and stars too, I would like to read your thoughts too if possible.

Here another link with a few photos more. Excavations already started to uncover all the structures, looks good.

udima.com.pe...
edit on 11-12-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Wow Great find Trueman,definantley one for me to look into"Their stonemasonry looks very impressive and complex,And at a height off 2650 mtrs..Star and flag

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I really enjoy these types of threads.
Nice job -- very interesting.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Wow, very neat. I have never heard of this place. This is the reason I came to ATS in the first place-to see all the world's wonders. S&F

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Well, most of us didn't know about this one. Even the government ignored it for about 40 years, believe it or not.

We have to thank to Dr. Walter Alva, the archeologist who discovered it, back in the 70's, together with his wife and team. He is the same guy who discovered other great sites like the famous "Lord of Sipan". Dr. Alva is a real Indiana Jones, if you ask me.

Here is a quick reference about the Lord of Sipan, for those who don't know it :

www.go2peru.com...

(Probably many threads about it here too).

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
S+F Thank you

Intriguing and also according to the accepted current history seems very out of place for the time and place, which though I don't find unusual.

I have always thought of all the S American areas Peru might hold the largest unfound ruins, and have much hidden history compared to its neighbors.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
and here we go with the stone carvings again .. ugh..why the complete fascination of carving stone.. ??? I still don't understand some of it can even have been done so long ago ..

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
and here we go with the stone carvings again .. ugh..why the complete fascination of carving stone.. ??? I still don't understand some of it can even have been done so long ago ..

Well....., without cable, web and smartphones; they probably had a lot of free time.

Besides the jokes, I believe ancient civilizations considered art, religion and science as part of one whole vision of the world. Maybe that's why it results complicate for us to see a practical meaning of these founds.

new topics
top topics

join