It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Has Lost Hundreds of Its Moon Rocks, New Report Says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation

NASA Has Lost Hundreds of Its Moon Rocks, New Report Says

www.space.com

NASA has been experiencing loss of astromaterials since lunar samples were first returned by Apollo missions," inspector general Paul K. Martin detailed in the report. "In addition to the Mount Cuba disk, NASA confirmed that 516 other loaned astromaterials have been lost or stolen between 1970 and June 2010, including 18 lunar samples reported lost by a researcher in 2010 and 218 lunar and meteorite samples stolen from a researcher at [NASA's Johnson Space Center] in 2002
(visit the link for the full news article)

Random idea: What if they were stolen to support an economy or somebody's personal wealth. Think about it for a second. Wouldn't those moon rocks value just be gigantic ? I mean it's not like you can go buy moon rocks at your store, and nobody can just get them for you. Only a few people have been to the moon and they aren't sending more right now so there is no more moon rocks to add to the total to bring the value down. In fact the value could only increase.

Therefore it could be that somebody is using these as a means of personal wealth ( on the low end of ) or these are worth so much that they can help keep economies afloat.

Could you see this happening ? I'm not saying that this is what is happening but just a thought that came to me when I read the OP's post.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
I thought we didn't land on the Moon? ;-)

We didn't , we still have our subs in the West Edmonton Mall
We no have rockets .

edit on 11-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

What happened in the Apollo 18? i hear some of the footage is actual footage from NASA.

why do some people think no one has been to the moon?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Getting moon rocks is very easy, assuming that they are real.

www.meteorites-for-sale.com...

also you can search ebay

www.ebay.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveEquation
reply to post by Nikola014

Maybe NASA is just incompetent
No doubt they could do better. From the OP story:

"According to the Office of Inspector General, out of the 26,000 samples NASA has on loan, it has lost just 517," Pearlman told SPACE.com. "That's not to excuse the space agency and its curators, but with so many samples spread across the globe, some losses are probably to be expected."
Some of the researchers died while they had the samples, and apparently NASA was unable to locate some of them after their death.

The incident that showed some room for improvement was when 218 samples were stolen from a NASA facility. They eventually recovered those but the story doesn't provide more details.

On the other hand, let's face it: they're rocks. Very important and valuable rocks, but I'm sure the security isn't as tight as it is on refined nuclear materials for example. And NASA promises to do better in the future, which they probably will for at least a few years until this issue fades from view, if history is any guide to how the ball rolls at NASA.

The other thing this story doesn't mention, is could there be a black market for moon rocks? Obviously you can't sell them on e-bay but I have to wonder if some of these "lost" rocks may not have really been lost but kept or given to friends/family as souvenirs or whatever, or maybe there is a black market? I don't really know.

Regarding NASA being able to keep secrets, They had different procedures for dealing with classified materials. However I think history has shown that many secrets weren't kept very well in the cold war for example, US intelligence was able to find out a lot about what soviets were doing and vice versa. These leaks happened even outside of NASA sometimes even when traitors handed information over to the soviets.

But yes, keeping secrets isn't so easy.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
But yes, keeping secrets isn't so easy.

No but confusing leaked secrets with lots of disinformation is much easier.

Fake Dutch 'moon rock' revealed

The piece of 'rock' supposedly brought back from the moon, seen in the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, 27 August 2009 The lump of 'moon rock' had been on display for decades A treasured piece at the Dutch national museum - a supposed moon rock from the first manned lunar landing - is nothing more than petrified wood, curators say.
Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

Tut, tut! Everything is not as it seems!

Former U.S. ambassador, Mr Middendorf was unable to recall the exact details of how the rock came to be in the U.S. State Department's possession. It is known that NASA gave lunar rocks to over 100 countries in the 1970s, but when the rock was displayed in 2006 a space expert told the museum he doubted any material would have been given away so soon after the manned lunar landing.

Researchers from the Free University of Amsterdam immediately doubted the rock was from the moon, and began extensive testing. The tests concluded the rock was petrified wood. U.S. embassy officials were unable to explain the findings, but are investigating.
Source: www.physorg.com...

Maybe they should ask NASA what's going on? You never know they might get a straight answer cos we sure as hell won't.

edit on 11/12/11 by Pimander because: not giving you a straight answer

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
What else is new? Just like the $2.3 trillion lost from the pentagon, which donald rumsfeld reported one day before 9-11. It would be funny if I did not smell one enormous all-encompassing conspiracy! Bahhh...move along now...nothing to see here.

Bunch of sickos are running the government. Wake up!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Hmm...thats very strange...and disheartening. I think the faithful patriotic side of me says there is an easy explanation for all of these lies...but the logical side says nah something is just not right with NASA...US tax money is probably being funneled into other space military operations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join