It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

I don't mind whether you post Foofighter or Foo Fighter, just look it up on Wikipedia, and then you might come realise that Foo = fire; which may give you a hint about what I'm talking about--- That is a starship, that makes any flying craft, built by mankind here on Earth--- Look obsolete.

Cheers,

Erno86

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Hawking is saying nothing new here. People are paying attention because he's a celebrity. Besides popularising science, has he actually made any real contributions to the field?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zippey
Hawking is saying nothing new here. People are paying attention because he's a celebrity. Besides popularising science, has he actually made any real contributions to the field?

How about Hawking Radiation, Black Body radiation, and the idea that black holes give off mass and will eventually evaporate.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86
reply to post by dilly1

I don't mind whether you post Foofighter or Foo Fighter, just look it up on Wikipedia, and then you might come realise that Foo = fire; which may give you a hint about what I'm talking about--- That is a starship, that makes any flying craft, built by mankind here on Earth--- Look obsolete.

Cheers,

Erno86

Jesus christ! ,,,, I asked you a whole bunch of questions and you respond only to the foofighter term. What a great debate we are having. Thank you .

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
This thread has gotten so silly. But I hope amusing and stimulating for most reading it, at least. : )

The reason I say silly is because passionate debates about what ET life would be like, how much ET life is out there, and whether or not they've interacted with our planet really tend to dead end...because at the end of the day, it's like an ant trying to empathize with humans or even an animal just a bit up the food chain from them - it's impossible! For all we know, the universe is TEEMING with life... we know that we've discovered traces of life and potential for life ALREADY (without mastering space travel, we only just got into it) in our solar system ALONE, so for all we know there's a wealth of alien species out there and maybe they're covertly here right now. Or maybe we're IT! Maybe we're the only living beings in the galaxy. Either scenario is mind-blowing.

All I'll say is this - history WILL tell us that we humans got a ton wrong, as far as physics and space and time travel go. This is really a budding field, as what used to be isolated to science fiction and imagination is for the first time being really tested in labs (think CERN, etc). We've only been first-person to the moon! That ANYONE thinks they've got anything in this realm figured out, or that ANYONE would rule out any possibility at this point in time... is silly. Imagine away, that's what the Great Unknown is for. I seriously wouldn't be surprsied, though, if one day everyone grows up with knowledge of other ET life in our solar system/universe and look back on today as infantile "remember when people thought they were the only life in outer space? we're part of a galactic empire right now! haha, what were they thinking!" just as we make fun of those who thought the Earth was flat. Our early EARTHLY explorers had no idea what more there was to discover, and in fact it wasn't so long ago (relatively, at the grand cosmic scale) our geography was totally different - pangea.

It's almost a certainty that the craziest ideas today will be the standard ones of tomorrow.

That's all I have to say about this for now. : ) Continue....
edit on 21-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-12-2011 by ConspiracyTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by godofme

Yeah that means there n range for laser and nuclear weapons

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
WE are ET.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by banishedfromthisarea
WE are ET.

We don't fit here.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

WE are ET.

We don't fit here.

You're right, we don't belong here. IF our species were from here then we shouldn't get sick. Now that's not to say that man made viruses wouldn't.We get allergies, some people are allergic to just about anything, but as for the rest of us, we're allergic to something.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

very interesting that you say we wouldnt get sick. i know they say viruses evolve 100 million times faster than us. something like every season they change to be able to find a host and produce and only the ones who survive make more and so on. but that makes sense. why do we get sick if we have millions of years of evolution. wouldnt we be immune to a virus. although i did watch a documentary once on how if it wasnt for bacteria and viruses we wouldnt of evolved the way we did. something like there are millions of different organisms/ viruses in us right now.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I agree that Steven Hawkings is just preparing for the worst outcome and there isn't much thought put into what he said. But he does have a valid point. We don't know what's out there and what it wants. We must prepare for every eventuality. What if aliens haven't found us yet but are looking for us. We don't know what their motives are or what they want. I say wait for advanced civilizations to find us or develope the technology to fight off any invaders.

Also aliens have contacted earth. The NSA itself admitted it. Go to www.paranormaldailynews.com Find the article and use the link to get to the full article and download the PDF. I'm sure that the government would love for someone to decipher the message so that they'll be able to understand what they're saying if this message is forewarning for an invasion or something. I'll share all my findings when I can make my own posts so keep an eye out for it.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Truthseeker45

There was a document where the NSA seemed to be decoding ET messages, but there's another document that implies it was just a "test," an experiment. Still lots of great FBI and NSA docs about the UFO phenomenon and whatnot that have us believe a) The government takes this WAY more seriously than they let on, and B) There have been cover ups.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyTruth

Your government does that. Australia does no such thing. You do have a good point but. There have been cover ups. That's why we've got to get all the information we can while it's available and get it to as many people as possible. How can we deny ignorance without proof of the truth. I suggest get the document while it's still there and look through it anyway.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
i don't know but i thing Stephen Hawking could be working hand on hand with the power elites or he could be used, manipulate to raise an Alien attack fear

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I agree partly with Stephen Hawking not to contact other Alien beings. I mean look at us! Look at the different species we share in this world. We share about approx. 8.7 million Species on this single planet. All of the living thing's goal is the same it's to Survive and flourish... That means all species are hostile as predicted because all living things wants to survivability and expansion of the race.

If human beings in this present time is hungry for resources. So hungry in fact they fight each other to get a piece of the pie to survive. How much more the other Sentient beings that roam around the universe with the same state in mind.
edit on 12/29/2011 by Labdarex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Labdarex

That's the thing though.

If said beings could travel the stars...then resources would be nearly INFINITE...without having to resort to conflict.

Here on Earth, we only do so because we're stuck here. If we could go fly to a nearby asteroid in an afternoon and come back with tons of gold...no longer a limited resource. Same for water, other minerals, etc.

So, with access to nearly infinite resources, I would surmise that aliens would in fact NOT be hostile.
If they were...forget it, we couldn't hope to resist.
Sheer logistics alone would kill us. Simply put, it'd be like a guy on top of an inaccessible hill with a sniper rifle, while 100 people below have rocks, but nobody can throw the rocks that high. Sooner or later, all 100 will be killed by the sniper.

Same thing with aliens and us. They can keep sending down death and destruction, while we couldn't reach them (at least not in sufficient force as to not be destroyed enroute).

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I think he makes a good point.

Someone mentioned that an alien race which can travel lightyears across galaxies would not need our resources as they'd have some form of free energy. I'm inclined to disagree. We use resources for more than just energy. We also need resources for building and creating things... In their case maybe more ships, weapons, technology of some sort? And as well as that they may need food supplies of some form. Or perhaps they seek to experiment and test what our planet is like? There is no way to really tell. But, I wouldn't be so quick to throw away Stephen Hawkings' theories.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Don't worry, the Time Cops will stop them. Or Stephen will just fly out in his totally unretarded magic wheelchair equipped with afterburners, Stingers and Hellfire missiles and that Death Ray that Kaku invented using his Super Duper Stringy Theory of Absolutely Everything.

*rolls eyes*

posted on Jan, 19 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PoeteMaudit

Stephen Hawking may well be a caped crusader in his spare time, with a transformers style wheelchair, but he still a very very very clever man that can comprehend things that would make our brain#s melt out of our noses lol. We should not take his words lightly

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Labdarex

That's the thing though.

If said beings could travel the stars...then resources would be nearly INFINITE...without having to resort to conflict.

Here on Earth, we only do so because we're stuck here. If we could go fly to a nearby asteroid in an afternoon and come back with tons of gold...no longer a limited resource. Same for water, other minerals, etc.

So, with access to nearly infinite resources, I would surmise that aliens would in fact NOT be hostile.

Two things:

First, it may not be that easy for these potential aliens to travel across space. In fact, it may be quite hard to do. Therefore, perhaps resources are not that infinite -- i.e., they may have some limited capability for interstellar travel, but maybe still not have the whole galaxy at their disposal.

Secondly, who says they would be just looking for "resources". Maybe they are looking for an entire planet -- more "elbow room" for their species. Let's say they come from a planet with a similar atmosphere, gravity, and radiation levels to the Earth. Perhaps the planets they inhabit now are becoming overcrowded, and they want another one. Sure, there may be billions of planets in the galaxy, but perhaps there are only a relative few with the exact atmosphere/gravity/radiation levels that can easily support them -- and what if earth is one of those places.

There is a reason the Europeans fought with the Native Americans to colonize the temperate regions of North America, but virtually ignored the arctic regions of present-day Canada. Even if a potential alien race has the entire galaxy at their disposal, the Earth may be a place most like their home, thus would be more coveted over other planets.

edit on 1/20/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27 >>

join