It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmashPapayaKC
reply to post by dilly1

Thought Disney owned History channel..

Your half right son.

Believe it or not the Disney/GE connection go hand in hand . They are pretty much attached by the hip since 1964. GE owns Universal Studios.

In my opinion , this is why hollywood is such a strong influence. All of these major companies have a strong "iron web" that can over power the masses.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyTruth
reply to post by steveknows

WTF are you going on about? I don't claim to say it's a fact that aliens have visited. It is a fact that it's not inconceivable that ET life exists in our universe, and maybe even in our solar system, it is a fact that the government routinely hides things from the public (and is quite successful at doing so), and it is a fact that the UFO "phenomenon" is real. Whether you put all those pieces together the same way others do isn't the point. I'm not talking about random hoax UFO cases, or misidentified crafts/natural phenomenon, or incredible witnesses. Notice how I'm not bringing up alien abduction stories or crop circles. I'm bringing up cases where more advanced crafts than what we know exist by human standards are WELL documented by people far smarter than us when it comes to identifying flying crafts - on video, radar, photo, you name it. That's fine if you don't entertain the possibility of some other more advanced beings being responsible for this, totally fine by me - but to say those who do are off their rocker, and not basing their opinions on facts and evidence is simply WRONG. I don't have a single assumption of what ET life would be like or why they would be observing us in UFOs (I honestly imagine it's almost always remotely) - you're the one making assumptions about what it would be like. I'm just saying there are clearly all types of more advanced crafts, with eerily the same characteristics, flying around in our skies and they have been doing this for decades. More advanced military craft is not a logical explanation in my opinion - UNLESS the government was purposely feeding us this myth. But then again, you've got another conspiracy theory on your hands. No matter how you look at it. None of us have enough information to know what's going on!

WTF are YOU going on about? I never said that I didn't believe there aren't aliens elsewhere in the universe. I've always said that they're not coming here.

And you said this "Disagree completely! Your opinion that the more advanced UFOs we've been spotting - with technology that outpaces us on display 60 years ago - is an OPINION."

"more advanced UFOs we've been spotting - with technology that outpaces us on display 60 years ago "

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Mr. Hawkins is a brilliant physicist but he's hardly an anthropologist or historian.

Societies and the human species, in general, show a tendency towards cooperation, inclusion and greater respect for life forms as we evolve. We've produced our greatest sustained progress by employing these principles.

Although we've experienced with other systems based on pillaging and dictatorships for example, these were hardly stable and ultimately proved unsuccessful. EG: Third Reich & the Soviet Union - both these examples have had very notable progress in certain areas (German scientists for example) but ultimately their society could not last for very long.

My point is that as we look through history we definitely see a path towards more understanding, inclusion and cooperation. In the long run, systems that are based in fear, exclusivism and profit at the expense of others (including other life forms) do not give great long term results - which implicitly stuns long term development.

Two hundred years ago there would have been almost no talk of animal rights or protecting the environment - even though the industrial revolution was already polluting our environment.

So if Mr. Hawkings suggests that aliens with the mentality of our old Conquistadors come to Earth, then the result would not be very good for us.... he is RIGHT!

However, someone with that mentality would likely NOT have developed the society, and therefore the technology necessary to get here.

Of course, one could argue that their social structure might be different from ours so they could develop into an advanced malevolent society. But Hawkins does compare the outcome based on OUR OWN history - and as such, it's probably safe to assume that any civilization with thousands of years ahead of us would have either self destroyed or passed the point of pillaging.

If we base it purely on the way we see our civilization going - assuming they didn't choose the "self destruct" option - they would probably see our galactic neighborhood the same way we see the Rocky mountains or Yellowstone park: a place to preserve.

Humorously, this kind of makes us the ant colony in Yellowstone...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

No I absolutely am not. You are saying that all those who entertain the ET/UFO hypothesis are doing so without any evidence or logic. I'm saying that's simply not true - I think it's a worthy hypothesis. We can disagree and debate all we want, but it is very annoying when people with one opinion make fun of people with a different opinion. ATS isn't a place for that - that's simply distracting.

I don't underestimate human ingenuity one bit. I find it perplexing that we'd fly giant crafts over a whole city (Phoenix Lights) or put hieroglyphics on our military crafts. Seems to me there's more to the story - and so far, aliens are one of the better explanations out there.

You can defend a hypothesis and explore it without being attached to its hip.

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

Interesting way of looking at it.

If I was superman, would my confidence in myself increase my confidence in humanity? So if I consider the possibility of confronting an alien, I won't worry so much about extinction?

It's a sort of self-projection. Kind of like how miserly people project their misery onto the world. Maybe it helps them to think that MOST are miserly and NOT well off (is reassuring). Or how people who make bad choices will project those things onto the world (divert the blame).

While I think is an interesting exercise, I think Hawking is just being like most people are. They're very guarded and assume that aliens are like us and/or want the things we want.

So if we want earth women, the aliens do too! If we peanut butter ice cream, so do they! If we want sunny skies and green grass valleys, so do they! If like earth under our feet, so do they!

It's kind of like if you have a hot and sexy wife and a guy looks at her. He may have just been wondering who she was or something innocent. But -you- think he's a slimy scum sex addict looking for some hole! We assume the aliens are like us and want some hole!

So anyway... I think it's possible that aliens might want something obscure from our earth (and we cannot guess what it's). They might be so intelligent that they look upon us like we look upon deer or bears or cows. If we're particularly aggressive or disrupting, they may cull us to get what it's they want. But I'm willing to bet that they'd mostly ignore us as they mine/refine/capture/etc their resource and then move on to their next (hopefully far away?) destination.

Realistically, if they have the power of fusion then they can live comfortably almost anywhere. In fact, I would think that living underground on a moon would be better than living here since it's easier to leave the gravity of the moon and it's not tectonically active and the light of space (and the sun) is much crisper. Additionally, there're no native lifeforms to worry about. If you dig deep enough underground, you can be protected from both asteroid/meteors and cosmic rays.

But all of that is probably too conventional. They may not even be biological. Maybe they can rest on the surface of the moon, being bombarded with cosmic rays, and jump around happily. In fact, maybe they live inside computers and can simply beam themselves (or whatever) to wherever they want to be, in whichever body it's that they're desiring. I have a lot of assumptions.
edit on 17-12-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

dilly1---- I'll have to go along in agreement with Hawkings, on the theory of the existence of BH's. I believe that BH's, play a major part in formation of spiral galaxies; and installs a sense of order in an otherwise chaotic Universe.

I would tend to say that the BH, in the center of the Milky Way is not dormant; in otherwords---It could be like a ravenous hungry black object that craves starlight and starlight plasma.

Foofighter's

Erno86

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking......a brilliant mind kept a prisoner in his own body....is not always right. There are stories within circles of the scientific community that he is a part of....and this community is a VERY small percentage of the other....less advanced....Physicists and Cosmologists....that Hawking almost...LOST IT....when after years had passed on his work and final conclusions on Blackholes....new data gained from newly launched into orbit Spectrometers and other devices....rendered years of theoretical work....DOWN THE DRAIN!

Hawkings is said to have gone into a deep state of deppression....and to his credit....for just a short time. I admire this man very much as how many people....given this type of disability and a shortening of their lifespan because of it....would snap quickly out of a deep depressive state after learning years of your work had just been proven false....and you had little time left in your lifespan to start again?

But start again he did and revised his Space/Time topography and explainations of why all physical laws breakdown inside a Blackhole.

But as far as his statement about Alien Contact being risky....the point is mute...because it has already occured. What we can take from his statement is that....FULL DISCLOSURE by the Agency which by the way...was founded on doing everything and anything to prevent this....by IKE....and again revised and reaffirmed by BUSH SR......would be a DISASTER of proportions that the average poster here cannot begin to understand or reconcile.

I know most of us...not me...but the vast majority of us here want to know the TRUTH. Most would love for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES....to come on National TV and say....E.T. is a reality and we have known about this for a very long time. This is why we kept it a secret and we have gained much in Tech. as well as knowledge that we are not alone in the Universe. Plus we know that Life is not a fluke but is by itself....a natural product of the Evolutionary state of Matter and Energy....and there are more than One known race of E.T. and they have been watching us for Millenia.

Those words would cause the deaths of millions and the destruction of markets as well as outbreakes of war and apathetic R&D plus would scare some people beyond what they are capable of accepting. YOU may be able to handle it....but others cannot! Split Infinity

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erno86
reply to post by dilly1

dilly1---- I'll have to go along in agreement with Hawkings, on the theory of the existence of BH's. I believe that BH's, play a major part in formation of spiral galaxies; and installs a sense of order in an otherwise chaotic Universe.

I would tend to say that the BH, in the center of the Milky Way is not dormant; in otherwords---It could be like a ravenous hungry black object that craves starlight and starlight plasma.

Foofighter's

Erno86

I understand your hawking attachment. He's the father figure you never had. I get it. But to think a black hole is some "templar night" installing order in a chaotic universe is pathetic. You sound like some one who reads way too many Marvel comic books. I can assure you there is nothing orderly of a theory that's promote event horizons in a positive way. If anything BH mite be chaotic and the universe is completely sound like your batman watch on your wrist.

If we do have a BH in the center of the MW, then why would we think the life span of the MW is anything long-lived? If you and Stevie-boy are correct then every star and planet ,in the MW, is doomed. Well there you go , you currently just discovered the true ending of Mayan calendar,,lol. Yahoo, Captain Erno has saved the day .

And what the hell is Foofighters anyway. Do you mean the band. What does FF's have anything to do with physics, or is that some sort super-hero chant?

posted on Dec, 17 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
When imagining what's possible or exists in our universe - there are few, if any crazy ideas. We know very little.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1

reply to post by dilly1

Foofighter's

Erno86

I understand your hawking attachment. He's the father figure you never had. I get it. But to think a black hole is some "templar night" installing order in a chaotic universe is pathetic. You sound like some one who reads way too many Marvel comic books. I can assure you there is nothing orderly of a theory that's promote event horizons in a positive way. If anything BH mite be chaotic and the universe is completely sound like your batman watch on your wrist.

If we do have a BH in the center of the MW, then why would we think the life span of the MW is anything long-lived? If you and Stevie-boy are correct then every star and planet ,in the MW, is doomed. Well there you go , you currently just discovered the true ending of Mayan calendar,,lol. Yahoo, Captain Erno has saved the day .

And what the hell is Foofighters anyway. Do you mean the band. What does FF's have anything to do with physics, or is that some sort super-hero chant?

dilly1 --- I would not worry about our BH gobbling up our MW, since it still has plenty of starlight to absorb in our galactic center for billions of years. When the Andromeda galaxy collides with our Milky Way, one Black Hole will have to eventually absorb the other.

I base the mechanics of a starship, with the use of black hole dust, infused on the baseplate of a flying saucer, taken from a mini-BH, after a antimatter bomb explosion. This BH freebird is not stationary, but has the ability to literally pull the starship towards a light source; such as a star. Your talking a least up to the speed of light speeds for the starship, and if the speed of light is squared, the flying saucer, could possibly be able to go many times the speed of light.

I know that starships have to travel at many times the speed of light, because I've seen an alien starship -- ie. Foofighter --- [look it up on Wiki,] myself, one night back in 1976.

Foofighter's

Erno86
edit on 18-12-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

You dont really need Stephen Hawkins to tell you this, Its just common sense.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DanTheOutlaw

Common sense doesn't apply to a theoretical being, that if exists, would be vastly beyond our own human experience...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1

reply to post by dilly1

Foofighter's

Erno86

dilly1 --- I would not worry about our BH gobbling up our MW, since it still has plenty of starlight to absorb in our galactic center for billions of years. When the Andromeda galaxy collides with our Milky Way, one Black Hole will have to eventually absorb the other.

I base the mechanics of a starship, with the use of black hole dust, infused on the baseplate of a flying saucer, taken from a mini-BH, after a antimatter bomb explosion. This BH freebird is not stationary, but has the ability to literally pull the starship towards a light source; such as a star. Your talking a least up to the speed of light speeds for the starship, and if the speed of light is squared, the flying saucer, could possibly be able to go many times the speed of light.

I know that starships have to travel at many times the speed of light, because I've seen an alien starship -- ie. Foofighter --- [look it up on Wiki,] myself, one night back in 1976.

Foofighter's

Erno86
edit on 18-12-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

I have never laughed so hard. Urinated all over myself. Hilarious!!

Please tell me how do you know our supposed MW BH is not going to do anything? Or is doing anything?

Please tell me how do you know any other galaxy ,let alone NGC 224, will collide with the MW?

You do know NGC 224 is more than 2million light years away.

How do you know this stuff

What do you mean the mechanics of a starship?

What is a starship?

What the hell is black hole dust?

I didn't know there is a categorical brand for different sizes of BH's? Did you decide this or someone else?

Have you ever seen or heard of a "anti-matter" bomb being constructed let alone available for presentation. Meaning if you presented it you either did an actual experiment OR you formulated an equation backing your theory. Which one.

And the most important one : how in the world can you even use the term "lightspeed" when describing an actual fact? Lightspeed is impossible and even if its performed by some imaginary pull from a BH , its still impossible. No one knows what would happen to that particular object while in that velocity. Its all theoretical.

In fact , YOU are theoretical. Your whole persona is theoretical. Hollywood as completely constructed an artificial construct , IN YOUR BRAIN.

You haven't seen jack. And you and will never see jack. If we do its ALL Man Made. But go ahead and believe what you see on TV/cinema/comicbooks so then you can be fooled in what your eyes see in the night skies.

You still haven't told me why an old guy like yourself likes to hear the foofighters. Aren't you a tad old for that stuff.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

First of all--- I totally disagree about the assumption of your signature.

I wondering whether I should waste my time, revealing some of the secrets of the Universe too you, since I know a few; as you seem to think that I "don't know, or haven't seen jack."

For starters--- from Wiki--- The future collision of the Milky Way with Andromeda

"The Andromeda Galaxy is approaching the Milky Way at about 100 to 140 kilometers per second [62 to 87 mi/s]
[400 light years every million years], making it one of the blue shifted galaxies. The Andromeda Galaxy and the Milky Way are thus expected to collide in about 4.5 billion years, although the details are uncertain since Andromeda's tangential velocity with respect to the Milky Way is only known by a factor of two.

A likely outcome of the collision is that the Galaxies will merge to form a giant elliptical galaxy. Such events are frequent among the galaxies in galaxy groups. The fate of the Earth and the Solar System in the event of a collision are currently unknown.

If the galaxies do not merge, there is a small chance that the solar system could be ejected from the Milky Way; or join Andromeda."

edit on 19-12-2011 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

edit on 19-12-2011 by Erno86 because: sorry- double post

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

I've heard, from good sources, that some scientist's are trying to construct an antimatter bomb; but the big problem is how to contain the antimatter in a bomb casing made of matter. I believe that the antimatter would have to be shrouded in some sort of magnetic field.

The antimatter bomb would be the most effective, efficient and cleanest bomb of all time. Black Hole dust, is the result of an antimatter bomb that is detonated on a black hole inside the event horizion. The construction of a starship that is capable of interstellar travel, would have to be built off-planet; like on some far-away asteriod.

Cheers,

Erno86

edit on 19-12-2011 by Erno86 because: added a sentence

edit on 19-12-2011 by Erno86 because: typo

edit on 19-12-2011 by Erno86 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

I could be wrong.... but I believe that Stephen Hawking said that it is possible for mini- black holes to exist; and I'am hoping that he is right.

Allied pilots, during WW 2, coined the word Foo Fighter, as to meaning other-worldly flying craft's. I just label them Foofighter's, so as not to be confused with the band called the Foo Fighters.

Foofighter's

Erno86

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by dilly1

Lightspeed--- Is the speed of light--- And that is a fact, though I believe that mankind should be able to break the speed of light barrier sometime in the future; since the other-worlder's, that have visited our planet Earth probably already have.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

reply to post by dilly1

Lightspeed--- Is the speed of light--- And that is a fact, though I believe that mankind should be able to break the speed of light barrier sometime in the future; since the other-worlder's, that have visited our planet Earth probably already have.

,,,,,,,,,,We need to hang-out!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

reply to post by dilly1

I could be wrong.... but I believe that Stephen Hawking said that it is possible for mini- black holes to exist; and I'am hoping that he is right.

Allied pilots, during WW 2, coined the word Foo Fighter, as to meaning other-worldly flying craft's. I just label them Foofighter's, so as not to be confused with the band called the Foo Fighters.

Foofighter's

Erno86

,,,,, Um,,,, Prof.Ernie,, do you mined if i too use the foofighter,not foo fighter, brand for my posts?? ,,,,,,,,,, Oh please! pretty please!!!

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27 >>

join