It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnCreed777

or they can genetically engineer a virus that only effects humans to wipe us out or they can toss an asteroid into a ocean and flood us our

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by instrumentality

Ahum...And another one spitting his rage on someone obviously smarter than him but unlucky since he was born with a rare genetical disease...
So much rage saying that you just want him dead , thinking you're hidden behind your black screen and the infinity of the Web...
Poor guy , I just hope your "sacred" computer blow up right in your face...
edit on 12-12-2011 by Bennogob because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

i think the real risk is the earth assuming their not peaceful and frie at them it could spark an intergalactic war (purposeful exaggeration)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tetriswoooo

imo trust can be achieved through honesty , respect for the free will and genuine , upright intentions .

the guts of people never lie to them .
maybe not all people , maybe hardly anyone maybe all of us know when we're being lied to .
edit on 12-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Hawking is now and forever has been a complete idiot.

He sets around all day long and just says "well, aliens invading earth would be a bad thing" and people who are even worse off, intellectually speaking, than Hawking, lap it up like a kitten with a saucer of cream.

Hawking is to science what John Madden is to Football...a completely over rated, over stimulated, pompous ass.
edit on 12-12-2011 by PrimePorkchop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
yeah mr.hawking actually creeps me out as well , wouldnt want to know what it must feel like being restrained the way he is

edit on 12-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelknives52
or they can genetically engineer a virus that only effects humans to wipe us out or they can toss an asteroid into a ocean and flood us our

They won't have to we already have that covered

Earth scientists, public enemy #1

Engineered Avian Flu Could Kill Half the World's Humans
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelknives52
reply to post by dilly1

You are leaning upon human understanding of the universe. There could be exotic fuel sources, as well as unique methods of travel unfathomable by humanity. Also the genetic makeup of an alien species could be significantly different and they may not be immortal but they may have a life span that lasts centuries --> because if they mastered intergalactic travel they may have mastered their own genetic code to manage things like aging in their cosmonauts.

You have to realize that the majority of what humans know about our universe is just made up theory about what a few guys think. Scientist do not know how wormholes work they are guessing.

To say that something is impossible simply based on the little humanity actually knows about the universe is absurd. Your also not taking into account the multi-verse theory where there are an infinite amount of universes constantly being created in the time stream as well as the possibility of multiple dimensions that exist outside of our perceivable 3rd dimension.

If you except the multi-verse theory where there are an infinite amount of universes in which every possibility has occur then it stands to reason in one of the universes there is an alien species (or perhaps even human) that has developed the technology to travel between each unique universe and exist outside of the time stream. And they visited our unique universe. The definition of alien may change because even though their species may have evolved from dinosaurs on an alternate earth they are alien to our unique universe/time stream we currently are conscious of.

If you believe in alternate dimensions and states of existence beyond the 3rd and 4th dimensional. Then it i plausible that intelligent life co-exists with us right now on the planet without actually interacting with matter in the same way that we physically would do. This species would have the ability to phase in and out of our physical dimension. --> if you are a religious individual this would describe the abilities of angels, demons, and Gods all of which ar alien to our current earth because they didn't originate from our unique planet earth.

So in short alien life could and probably already has visited our unique earth in our unique universe.

You said "could" twice. Which to me could is equivalent to alien-physic. Which is what. A theory, if anything.

You say "mastering genetic code", which is the ability to obtain immortality. We are saying the same thing.

I say "impossible" because its such a far stretch that its ok to say its never going to happen. Doesn't mean it won't ever ,but none of us will ever see it happen. You guys are so scared to say the word impossible. You guys are no different than evangelicals,,my god.

Multi-verse is a theory. You guys can't believe in the impossible because you all are uninitiated with theories. You do KNOW that theories are NOT facts.

I don't accept the multi-verse because I don't accept any theory. Why would I. The big bang is a theory , why would I believe it to be true. Because a bunch of scientist say everything seems to originating from a single point. That doesn't mean there was a big bang... Come on people wake up!!!

Again alternate dimensions are plausible,,,but its a theory. We will never know. All of you are just guessing. Your pedestal is no higher than some pathetic evangelical. Your using faith.

In short , yes alien life could have visited this planet , not us(big difference), and left . The fact that people have the audacity to selfishly think that aliens came during human history ,let alone very recently, is extremely self centered.

I am not a religious person. I despise all faiths. And that's my problem with alien freaks and religious freaks. You don't use logic. You all use theories and myths for your answering daunting universal questions.

Please respond

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

Any kind of free energy is just a power source. The Aliens would be using it to power the ships engines, for lighting, life support and other systems that require power. This does not mean that an alien race does not require resources for food, repair, expansion, building new ships, research etc etc etc.....
I'm not sure though that I believe an entire race would be nomadic in space, maybe an offshoot. Its much easier to use a planet as a base of operation for a civilisation, mainly due to the ease of cultivating mass quantities of food, mining resources, leisure, innovation and an historical attachment to your home world. I think Mr Hawkins has been watching independence day

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

What's ironic about it?

Would you explain what you mean and not just spout out criticism?

sheesh..

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

everything and nothing at the same time . its ironic and sincere ,
but you have to read above , in between and below the lines

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Long time lurker here. Haven't posted much, and some of the stuff I posted a long time ago was immature, BUT
what if humans are not indigenous to Earth? What if we came here a long long time ago with advanced technology, then had wars and etc, virtually killing everyone off. I understand there is zero evidence to support this, but the thought crossed my mind while reading the thread. Have a great evening! --hoop

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I know Hawking is a genius...but couldn't he have applied a little logic here?

If you've mastered intergalactic travel, then presumably you've reached a level of technology where you've also mastered the ability to create whatever kind of matter you want - out of other matter - though particle collision. Under these conditions, they would never need to find 'natural resources', just more matter - or perhaps just energy to convert into matter.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Although I concede this is a possibility, I would think and hope that any civilization that is advanced enough to travel great distances through the cosmos would have surpassed the need for brutal warfare. Although, looking at the powerful nations here on Earth, all of our developments have come despite relatively constant warfare.

I just hope that any civilization that is so advanced technologically would also be morally and/or spiritually advanced. I also think that such technological evolution could possibly eliminate the need and dependence on natural resources.

Such a developed civilization would certainly realize that widespread exploitation of natural resources could make certain planets uninhabitable, since there exist delicate relationships between many different resources that affect our planet, such as trees and plants --- oxygen.

He could be right, and it probably is better to be cautious, but are we willing to suppress our curiosity and exploration of space simply because there might be a small possibility of catching the attention of a warlike, technologically advanced civilization? I do not think that we are, nor should we.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Hawkings is not alone in regards to his opinion. He's a very intelligent guy, but him believing in Aliens doesn't make me believe in them anymore than I already do. It's still interesting to hear him speak about it though.

I am sure there have been Aliens who have made it to Earth only to burn up while entering our Atmosphere. They may possess the technology to reach us, but may not be aware of the dangers of entering planet Earth. Maybe the planet they come from is nothing like ours. Who knows if they breath oxygen? They very well could breath some other form of gas or vapor. Maybe they don't breath at all, or atleast by how we understand breathing to be. They also could be more like a cyborg or robot, which would bring even more questions and scenarios.

One thing I do know is, I would prefer to not have these lunatics who are ruling planet Eartth right now speaking for the majority of Humanity. We know how these carpetbagging swine operate, and I would guess that having them as our representatives would only lead to our demise or possibly even theirs. ~SheopleNation

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BoB420

What are you talking about?

I was trying to say that i think if ET's are out there that they could've only obtained interstellar travel by being "enlightened" or understanding spirituality a lot more than us humans..therefore they would most likely NOT be negative beings that want to plunder our planet.

What is ironic about that?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainIraq

Good point. However planet Earth could very well be a paradise to them considering the conditions on whatever planet that they may have came from. They very well might not want to leave ever again. It would not suprise me if they would desire it for themselves. I bet they would treat her better than we have. Atleast I would prefer to believe that. If Aliens came to Earth and seen how humans have raped every face of it, They probably would consider extermination as an option. ~SheopleNation

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
reply to post by BoB420

What are you talking about?

I was trying to say that i think if ET's are out there that they could've only obtained interstellar travel by being "enlightened" or understanding spirituality a lot more than us humans..therefore they would most likely NOT be negative beings that want to plunder our planet.

What is ironic about that?

that of course makes sense , if aliens existed which i can't be certain of , it would make sense the "evil" ones aren't as "mature" as the "good" ones . all adjectives open for definition

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
For all we know, the very concepts of tolerance, altruism, compassion, etc. could be unique to human beings. To assume that any advanced species would have to somehow naturally or inevitably be benevolent seems like potential folly in my opinion. We don't like that idea, because it's injurious to our egos, but reality doesn't care about our egos. It doesn't care about anything. It is whatever it is, whether we like it or not. And one thing it might be is a universe full of extremely dangerous entities we monstrous intelligence. We have no way of knowing.

Extraterrestrials could very well be so, well, alien in contrast to us, that we wouldn't even recognize them as intelligent initially. They might have social norms (hell, the very concept of social norms in general might be alien to them,) perceptions of their own existence, perceptions of the universe around them and how it works, so different from our own that any coexistence might literally be impossible. Suppose they were like insects or other animals on Earth (or something we can't even imagine, as seems more probable) but with intelligence far beyond our own. Intelligence is just raw computing and problem solving power. Just because they're "smarter" than us doesn't mean they're anything like us... at all, potentially.

Everything we think we know about what life might be like on other worlds is supposition based on known variables from exactly one prior example, out of potentially billions: life on Earth. We should not in my view assume that somehow, unlike all the other anthropocentric conclusions we've reached throughout our history as a species (that the sun revolved around us, etc.) our suppositions about alien life would be even remotely accurate. They might not be at all comprehensible to us, let alone not a threat to us.

That doesn't mean the other possibility isn't equally valid. But that's all they are; possibilities. We don't know.

My two cents. Peace.
edit on 12/12/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Html typos

edit on 12/12/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Grammatical typo

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
Huge ships ready to colonize! That dose not make any sense and hear I am thinking hawking was a genius.

If advanced lifeforms can travel millions of light years to colonize other planets then it would seem they have figured out free energy. With free energy surely they would not run out of resources.

But that doesn't mean free energy exist.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join