It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
What could they possibly need from earth if they can travel thousands of light years through space. Does he really think that this burned up planet with trillions of debt, and radioactive polluted waters,overrun by small intellectual cattle has some value to them....?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The theory of primitive humans interacting with more technological ones and forming religion after them is not a theory. It's a fact. The phenomena is called "Cargo cult" en.wikipedia.org...

@Stephen Hawking, I find it interesting he'd be afraid of aliens...since they're his only chance of reversing and curing his disease.

edit on 12-12-2011 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Hawking is definetely too biased to make this assertion. (That God does not exist) The evidence for alien life is EXACTLY the same as the evidence of God. Both are supremely intelligent capable of mastering human life, and are much older than Earth. If evidence exists for one, than it exists for both. If the universe will spontaneously generate intelligence, as he asserts, then its certainly possible, (if not much more plausible) that intelligence would sponatneusly generate the Universe as well. the latter is much more scientifically sound. The first thing life tries to do is create things and procreate. There is NO evidence that the Universe or the planets generate intelligence. The top theory on life's existence on Earth in a Pan-Spermic theory, that life came from asteroids or other non-earthly material TO earth by some sort of intelligence that seeks to procreate by sending seeds of life all around. .. Hmmmm. So the prevailing theory is INDISTIGUISHABLE from creation. After 150 years of hard science, the prevailing theory has come CLOSER to and not FARTHER from a creation beginning. Interesting./..

edit on 12-12-2011 by justaskin because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
I think Hawking is working for the government or something.
Like his job is to scare people about upcoming invasion...
I don't know why is he so "scared" of invasion by aliens, when we don't know if aliens even "exist".
We "haven't" found aliens, have we?

Why would you put haven't in quotations?

I don't think you understand what quotations are for.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tangled2011
Its obvious Stephen Hawking is super intellegent, however he isn't perfect and I personally think that is shown when he assumes aliens would react like us so called "humans". Why would they be up for war as much as us, and also surerly Hawking knows their are many other planets just like ours that they could use, that might not have any life to defeat anyway?

Maybe they have a culture where fighting and conquer a planet from another species is important, so a planet without life is boring.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I don't trust Hawking. I think he's batting for the government. They could easily control him (he has medical issues and it'd be easy to chip him or do some alteration) or lure him with their military technology. Project Blue Brain? Avatar? I know that sounds really far out to those who haven't researched government projects that are aimed at downloading human consciousness into a computer or another body. I'm suggesting a possible motivation for Hawking....playing tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist with these ideas....

I will admit that I greatly dislike this man and always have. I know others are in awe of his intelligence....but I'm not.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Maybe they are an intelligent bird like species coming back to earth to check up on their brothers and sisters. Boy, they’re going to be really pissed off once they find out what we’ve been eating at KFC…!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Although this has been a theory Hawking has had for awhile now, I think he is right. We Humans within the next 25-50 years will be traveling to another planet like Mars or one of the moons of Jupiter for base set-up. Colonizing another planet. Wow amazing times. How come there can't be other "Aliens" doing the same thing? Some people forget but we are also the Aliens to others. We cannot even keep Peace here on Earth and we are talking about traveling to another planet to set up a base or to harvest their resources. How come it's not possible other groups of Aliens have done or will do that to us here on Earth? Unless they are Autobots that have a law about harming humans.

If there was a ship in our orbit that is massive in size and contains all things from the "Aliens" previous planet. (DNA, animals, Medicine, etc.) They may be here to harvest our resources, enslave or wipe out our existence. We would do it to another planet im positive. If a War was to break out with these new creatures or humanoids it would be because of the gov't or high officials.

We will just have to sit back and watch and hope for the best if we ever come to this moment of disclosure and contact. Pray for Peace and pray for the people in contact to do the right things or we could be royally screwed.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
its a fair comment fro someone obviously alot more intelligent than any of us.

ask yourself what would we do (or more to the point what would our governments do) if we were the aliens going to another planet? and be honest about it

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Can I shoot him for being a dumb-head of a professor? Oh wait, he's in enough suffering right now, so I'm not going to.

He thinks that Black Holes are everywhere, very bad way of thinking. There is only one place that a black hole can exist and that is the center of the galaxy.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

All these Astrophysicist( like Environmentalists) are given a "paid-in-full" stage to explain there fantasies. Its all B***S***.
Do aliens exist in an infinite universe. Yes,, and so what,, that's because we exist in an infinite universe. DUH ...Is it plausible that intelligent life exist else where in this infinite universe: off course. But what is intelligent life? Is it inventing the wheel or mastering warp-speed? Well I think its both, and that's the problem . It would be a massive coincidence if "ET" were to communicate, let alone arrive, with to us today,,right now... How freakin convenient..give me a brake..

What these Clown-Scientist don't tell you is how difficult it is to travel in an infinite universe. Its almost freakin impossible. To do it you literally would have to be God itself.

There are 3 factors humans or "ET" vitally need to travel in space,, the ability to perform:

- light speed
- worm holes
- immortality

There is a 4th ,which is "Motive", but the first three are vital for even attempting such a daunting task. Which begs the question if its so difficult why would I want to be visited by something that has mastered those three aspects. I wouldn't. Remember!!! The host will always get screwed. Anyone who can do any of those 3 things, let alone all 3 combined, will believe emphatically that they are god-like and rightfully so,, Why wouldn't you.

If aliens or news of aliens of existing or approaching earth does happen it would be completely 100% human fabrication. If I am wrong? Wellll, it doesn't matter does it, we would all be dead anyway.

How do I know that ? Well , let's see, do you give a hoot about an ant or spider in your closet? Didn't think so. That's is exactly what would happen to us . We would be meaningless to the visitor. There would be NO communication or sympathy from "ET" as you all see in hollywood. We would all be irrelevant to the visitor. They would be a billion times worse and colder than how the spanish treated the indians.

So the next time you see or hear a Clown-Scientist yapping his trap on ANYTHING about aliens ,just change the channel or walk away. Its all poison and kool-aid junk. We will never in our life-time or even in the next 500 years have any chance to accomplish those 3 things , let alone meet "stupid ET". Unless we invent or discover alien physic, which to me(alien physics) is an enigma in itself.

SORRY TO BURST YOU BUBBLE

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

mistrust is always appropriate these days , even necessary .
however , the only way you could know on which side hawking will set his hawks loose is by looking right into his eyes (of his 3d body) and then looking into your heart . there you will find the answer .
you see , when you analyze pictures of mr.hawking on the 'net or read a text written by him it does reflect his personality , but only to a certain extent . please keep in mind we are on the internet and albeit being an immensely resourceful place it is also limited . a lot . and the most important thing imo : you can't transmit emotions over the 'net the way you can when looking into each others eyes .

namaste

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Look guys and girls dont panic after reading through all the posts it seems the greatest minds in humanity are all ats members so if mr hawkings is right all those people who claim to be smarter than him will step in and save us.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hawking is trying to blind people with his scientific credibility. I don't buy into his nonsense. I have noticed for a while now that his motivations have been extended to include control, all under the cloak of respectability.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This thread is poorly written and the material that it contains is old and has already been talked about in numerous other threads. Sheesh...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellspike
Look guys and girls dont panic after reading through all the posts it seems the greatest minds in humanity are all ats members so if mr hawkings is right all those people who claim to be smarter than him will step in and save us.

It sure won't be some astrophysicist yapping his or hers trap for some cable news network. Can you really take someone seriously when he or she signs a contract to do a series of videos for some Disney-like network(Discovery Channel).

These people are no different and as pathetic as the Kardashian Family.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Non-Interference is quite a logical Idea, and Principle for any Non-Conquering interstellar species.

Non-Interference encourages cultural and technological diversity, which would eventually benefit any cooperating species or societies more than homogenization of culture and technology that a policy of interference would create.

Thus, Non-Interference is a Logically prudent course of action for Contact Situations.

What if the culture in question is being systematically enslaved by a small group of people, against their will, and being brainwashed and enslaved against their knowledge?

What is the proper course of action in this instance?

Let the population be enslaved?

Or interfere?

What if the Ruling group is enslaving the population with Knowledge and Technology that were provided as part of a pre-contact effort?

What is the proper course of action then?

Interference would then require popular request.

If the majority of the people express a desire for contact to end the tyranny, it would validate any interference....

Morally, as it were...

So, if you are the ruling party on the planet... how would you prevent this from happening?

How do you get the population, to not desire Contact, or Aid?

+$0.02

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa

All that Hawking did was state the obvious from a statistical, quantum physics standpoint, for a documentary series that's showing on the Discovery channel - not an article. While doing PR for the series he provided some of the information contained in the documentary as well as gave us some of his insight. I hope you don't live near the ocean, because otherwise Shark Week might be too much for you.

Oh come on, I bet you don't run to the beach after watching shark week

This entire "aliens are bad and want to eat your children" agenda feels like it's aimed to slow down our exploration of space. I hope that's not the case, and you're right in that this is just for entertainment and money. I'm ok with that. Cutting NASA's budget and abandoning our space station is NOT ok. Am I reading into this too deeply? Yeah, probably, but that's what ATS is about.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by dilly1

There are 3 factors humans or "ET" vitally need to travel in space,, the ability to perform:

- light speed
- worm holes
- immortality

Well the ability to use wormholes eliminates the need for immortally OR light speed... you simple fold space and step through. Tesla had the answer to space drives 100 years ago, but we chose war instead of science and no one listened to him, yet without him we wouldn't have the car ignition coil, AC electricity or radio

So tone down on calling BS until you actually know something

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkchemistry
Hawking is being incendiary, by forgetting the Drake equation. If there are uncountable worlds like our own in the universe, why try and steal this earth's resources when there are trillions upon trillions of planets bearing the same resources.

While you are "in theory" right, the D. Equation also means there are many, many, MANY more un-habitable and dead planets as opposed to planets who can have life.

Short: Even with "zillions" of planets which might be able to have life (or the resources they are looking for)...each of them is still extremely RARE compared to the huge number of planets/star systems which does NOT satisfy their criteria.

Therefore it is outright dumb to "beam out" radio waves and send out probes making them aware that we exist. It is simply not smart given the assumptions that what we have might be rare and maybe high in demand.

While in general the chances are incredible small that someone will pick up those radio signals (or we pick up their signals) ...it is STILL just not the smartest thing to do.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join