It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It's funny to me how Hawkin ( and other scientists) pretty much rule out the existence of God (and I'm not looking for a debate on that) but maintain the possibility of aliens......

It's ALL political. These "scientists" can only discuss and affirm that which is governmentally approved approaches to scientific questions. If a college/university professor goes against the Establishment Grain, they will lose grants etc etc.

"Aliens" are certainly a mere matter of advanced technology (mainly of the Tesla kind).
"Aliens" may also be some type of entities such as inter-dimensional beings but there is no way to ascertain that or verify it empirically.

Listening to the News, NASA, FEMA, etc etc at this point is merely to undergo the propaganda phase of indoctrination. The major colleges and universities are includes as many of their Presidents etc are CFR, Bilderberg, Tri-lateral etc etc.......

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
For being such a smart guy Hawking sure likes to state the obvious.

- There is probably life out in the universe
- If they can find us and travel to us with their advanced technology yes humanity and the little blue/green rock we live on will be in deep trouble

Our weakness is lesser advanced technology... how do you fix that? It isn't like we're just sitting around thinking "Yep, we've done enough. Time to relax and then die". Scientists are researching new things every second of every day all across the planet. They may not be exactly looking to create a super laser of death to destroy giant spaceships in low earth orbit, but if they did and were successful would you trust military leaders with it?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Why would aliens not exist? I can only imagine that they would look at us as we would at a bunch of ants running about doing their thing. They would be much more intelligent than us. Especially if they're capable of intergalactic travel. You do realize that our sun is a star? If you look out at the night sky, you can see millions and millions of stars (suns). Some larger/smaller/younger/older than our own. Who is to say that there isn’t a planet that has more or less intelligent life than our own circling one of those suns? We would have to be completely naive to think otherwise. I mean really. It wasn’t too long ago where we thought the world was flat. There are still people out there who believe we are the center of the universe. Fifty years ago, people never thought we could ever make it into space. Let alone land on the moon. If we don’t manage to destroy ourselves, where do you think we’ll be a thousand years from now? How about ten thousand years from now? I believe there are aliens out there that are younger than us, but I also believe there are others that are older. In my opinion, at the moment, mankind isn’t looking to promising. We are on the verge of annihilating ourselves. I can only hope that an alien race would step forward and remove those who have the power to destroy humanity. Even if they made themselves present to humanity, that itself could very well change the tide from being destructive to being constructive.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The greatest resource on this planet is the Human Race.

On another note: higher intelligence does not mean that a race will be friendly. High moral standards are not for the super intelligent only. Morals and Morality are a creations of the human race. You can't take human feelings, emotions, laws (we created) and thoughts and project them as the way of life thoughout the universe. We created the concepts of evil and good. Other races may not have these concepts. They may not need them to make decisions.

The laws of nature exist in Universe, not just on planet Earth. The weak are weeded from the herd. The strong do survive. Adapt or die.

I can imagine a race that would care very little about the human race as anything other than an afterthought especially if we were in their way of protecting their future and their way of life.

We are a war like race. We destroy our own. We let our own suffer and die. We hold money and power to be the end all be all of progress (you may not but the folks running the world do). Imagine what first contact would be like if we landed on their planet?????????

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
Huge ships ready to colonize! That dose not make any sense and hear I am thinking hawking was a genius.

If advanced lifeforms can travel millions of light years to colonize other planets then it would seem they have figured out free energy. With free energy surely they would not run out of resources.

Have you not thought about other possible resources they may need (if they exist)? Such as metals needed to create ships, missiles (unless they have lasers).

Buuuuut, it's all theoretical and he didn't say there was going to be an invasion. Just its possible.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
For being such a smart guy Hawking sure likes to state the obvious.

- There is probably life out in the universe
- If they can find us and travel to us with their advanced technology yes humanity and the little blue/green rock we live on will be in deep trouble

Our weakness is lesser advanced technology... how do you fix that? It isn't like we're just sitting around thinking "Yep, we've done enough. Time to relax and then die". Scientists are researching new things every second of every day all across the planet. They may not be exactly looking to create a super laser of death to destroy giant spaceships in low earth orbit, but if they did and were successful would you trust military leaders with it?

No... we would be looking to create a super laser of death to destroy ourselves first.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

A Points Against

1. Our Planet is tiny.

2. Our resources aren't special.

3. Earth like planets are very common and in comparison to universe full of them ... I refer you to #1.

4. Our solar system is a sparse barren portion of space (9+ planets) this is small in comparison.

5. The key to and path to, any exotic power source of an advanced civilisation and indeed our own is Hydrogen. Our solar system is a poor suply in comparison to others. The Red Lion......

I could go on......

B Points For

1. Spiritual Elements of human existance (the soul) abbilities we may have or connections to the source.

2. Some unknown Power source yet to be discovered.

3. Slave Labour/ Assimilation

4. The end of the experiment.

5. A simple race of apes to conquer...... Alien goes back to his local bar on quark after his venture and says," just conquered a civilisation....only took me 8 parsecs". His friend asks,"Did you?.... which one was it"? The conquerer replies,"Earth, the human race". The whole bar bursts into laughter!!!
Yes a Joke, because thats what we are at the moment. So a visit to poke a stick in the ants nest for a laugh.

Couldn't think of many really, because there isn't any.

So I'm not holding my breath.... but for what its worth I believe we are..... Primarily all of section A and B5 with secondary elements of B1-4.

You could be better, but you allow primitives to give you Governance.... Primitive?? your thinking?? Yes the primitives that are both political and religious ego junkies, wanting more in their name sakes, be it teritory or who is blessed more, all the while feeding their own primitive ego....... How very Primitive.

Russia, USA, China, in fact every nation, Democracy or Theocracy on this tiny ball of rock in an infinite universe.....
WAKE UP, YOUR A JOKE
......... and breath

Hawking Invasion theory..... Viable
Probability.... Very doubtful (drunken alien prank aside)
edit on 12-12-2011 by DreamerOracle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
My first impression after reading the headline;

In other news, Scientists discover, sticking your male organ in boiling water may be risky.

Really? Who'da thought?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It is pretty absurd how some people on this thread are calling Hawking an idiot for his THEORY on there possibly being and extra-terrestrial race that would be willing to plunder our planet for resources.

Most of the arguments listed on this thread are really asinine. You guys are basing your arguments of how extra-terrestrial life doesn't exist on human understanding on how the universe works. The majority of what we as humans know about the universe is simply scientific theory. We don't really know how wormholes function. Perhaps an alien species could figure out a method of intergalactic travel through means that we as humans can't even fathom.

However, I would say there is no sense in worrying about our first open encounter with extraterrestrial life because what happens will happen.

- Perhaps a Giant Alien World Ship will consume our planet because it is powered by planetary bodies similar to ours. Even worse perhaps a ginormous world ship arrives in our solar system and it will consume our sun as an energy source

- Perhaps an intelligent Alien species would be so far advanced that they would bother trying to communicate with us because they would view humans as just animals. Also simply because they could travel to various star systems doesn't mean they will have an interstellar translator and a full knowledge of human custom and culture like star trek or something especially if they are discovering human life for the first time.

- Perhaps the alien species will invade the planet but they are only interested inhabiting the oceans of our planet because they are aquatic in nature. It wouldn't really be that hard with advanced tech to inhabit the oceans of the planet ( even with the knowledge of their existence by the earths human government)

- Perhaps our solar system and galaxy is teaming with intelligent life that exist on different dimension planes/frequencies and one race on one of these dimensional planes developed tech to travel between different dimensions. (Basically our so called alien visitors could be from mars 23 or earth 42)

- If you believe in the multiverse theory there is an infinite amount of universes in which any and every possibility or instance has occurred. It would stand to reason that in one of the infinite universes an intelligent species figured out of to freely travel between all of the universes and have the capability of existing out side of all of the possible universes as well as exploiting tech and resources from other resources. Eventually this species will encounter and have an effect on our universe in an infinite amount of ways. --> it gets really complicated.

I highly doubt that a superior INTELLIGENT species would resort to all out war Independence day style with huge world ships blowing up huge chunks of the earth with huge quantum laser beams. Why go through all of that trouble for water rocks and minerals?

If they don't have, humongous resource collecting ships with forcefields that can defend against any human ordinance they could simply nudge a asteroid or something into the earths ocean... create a series of tidal waves to wipe out the majority of the human population. They could perhaps bio-engineer a virus or disease that only effects humanity and wipe us out like that or nudge an asteroid into earths orbit and then comeback and collect the resources.

It's silly to worry about such things happening because at this point in human development we can do absolutely nothing to prevent such an invasion from happening.

We can just hope there is an intergalactic organization of advanced species that has laws set into place that protects developing world's and they have a station on this planet and are monitoring our development and other alien activities in our solar system.

To end my rant concerning Hawking's theory --> IT COULD HAPPEN. But I am not going to build a bunker and stockpile food --> hopefully I will be vaporized in the initial attack because I don't want to live a life on the lamb from human extermination droids or something.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss
My first impression after reading the headline;

In other news, Scientists discover, sticking your male organ in boiling water may be risky.

Really? Who'da thought?

How about…..”Man gets vaporized by aliens after urinating on alien space ship”.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Anyone who is a SCIFI fan knows that this is a danger. I know that SCIFI is fiction but it opens the imagination and the possibilities that are out there. With that being said, we tend to think of aliens, or entities in human terms. We think that we understand what motivates them and that compassion, and understanding is a virtue among them. Their brains, and they way they think may be hardwired in a completely different way. They might have evolved on a planet very different from our own and view us as do leaf cutter ants to a tree. I agree we should stay silent until we are technologically capable of planetary defense. Sending probes out into space advertising our lush lands is reckless and naive. If you think the Vulcans are going to land and help improve our warp drive then you are mistaken. I'll keep it simple and end with this "SSDS" same # different solar system. Baddies exist everywhere, not just on our # hole.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

something tells me good ol' stevie would not appreciate the chance to contribute to a good cause to his fullest capabilities .
being tied to a wheelchair , poor guy , he needs others to take care of his physical needs and can't do anything about it ... or can he ??
edit on 12-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Stephen Hawking said "God does not exist"

Meaning there is no entity in the Universe effecting mankind on Earth.

Well couldn't the "Alienz" be doing it and be the "Gods"?????

Maybe they just created us to mine the Gold for them. Every 10,000 years or so they decimate us and take all the Gold...leave a few people alive to restart the process of mining the Gold.

There's a massive amount of Gold from human history missing. Nobody knows where it is.

Pointing out that there is no god does not rule out any outside influence.Especialy when alien life is purposed.Hawking was merely pointing out that there is not 1 entity overseeing and controlling everything in this universe and was not talking about what we would 'perceive' as god(s)..

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
I think that if there are aliens that are traveling from very very VERY distant star systems the only way they could reasonably travel is via wormhole, or at faster than lightspeed travel, Orrrrr if you really wanna come out on the limb with me, by using their "light body"-astral body- what have you..and to me, the only way a civilization could master that type of travel would be a mastery of the more spiritual side of life.

And if that's true, well then we have nothing to worry about, you don't become spiritual beings by invading other planets and plundering their resources.

I think our scientists think about this all in the wrong way...the think about it from their point of view..which is a wrong POV, b/c well they only know what they know..and they think that's all there is to know! Which is sort of ironic being that they're scientists!

The amount of irony reflected in your comments is staggering.

edit on 12-12-2011 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelknives52
It is pretty absurd how some people on this thread are calling Hawking an idiot for his THEORY on there possibly being and extra-terrestrial race that would be willing to plunder our planet for resources.

Most of the arguments listed on this thread are really asinine. You guys are basing your arguments of how extra-terrestrial life doesn't exist on human understanding on how the universe works. The majority of what we as humans know about the universe is simply scientific theory. We don't really know how wormholes function. Perhaps an alien species could figure out a method of intergalactic travel through means that we as humans can't even fathom.

However, I would say there is no sense in worrying about our first open encounter with extraterrestrial life because what happens will happen.

- Perhaps a Giant Alien World Ship will consume our planet because it is powered by planetary bodies similar to ours. Even worse perhaps a ginormous world ship arrives in our solar system and it will consume our sun as an energy source

- Perhaps an intelligent Alien species would be so far advanced that they would bother trying to communicate with us because they would view humans as just animals. Also simply because they could travel to various star systems doesn't mean they will have an interstellar translator and a full knowledge of human custom and culture like star trek or something especially if they are discovering human life for the first time.

- Perhaps the alien species will invade the planet but they are only interested inhabiting the oceans of our planet because they are aquatic in nature. It wouldn't really be that hard with advanced tech to inhabit the oceans of the planet ( even with the knowledge of their existence by the earths human government)

- Perhaps our solar system and galaxy is teaming with intelligent life that exist on different dimension planes/frequencies and one race on one of these dimensional planes developed tech to travel between different dimensions. (Basically our so called alien visitors could be from mars 23 or earth 42)

- If you believe in the multiverse theory there is an infinite amount of universes in which any and every possibility or instance has occurred. It would stand to reason that in one of the infinite universes an intelligent species figured out of to freely travel between all of the universes and have the capability of existing out side of all of the possible universes as well as exploiting tech and resources from other resources. Eventually this species will encounter and have an effect on our universe in an infinite amount of ways. --> it gets really complicated.

I highly doubt that a superior INTELLIGENT species would resort to all out war Independence day style with huge world ships blowing up huge chunks of the earth with huge quantum laser beams. Why go through all of that trouble for water rocks and minerals?

If they don't have, humongous resource collecting ships with forcefields that can defend against any human ordinance they could simply nudge a asteroid or something into the earths ocean... create a series of tidal waves to wipe out the majority of the human population. They could perhaps bio-engineer a virus or disease that only effects humanity and wipe us out like that or nudge an asteroid into earths orbit and then comeback and collect the resources.

It's silly to worry about such things happening because at this point in human development we can do absolutely nothing to prevent such an invasion from happening.

We can just hope there is an intergalactic organization of advanced species that has laws set into place that protects developing world's and they have a station on this planet and are monitoring our development and other alien activities in our solar system.

To end my rant concerning Hawking's theory --> IT COULD HAPPEN. But I am not going to build a bunker and stockpile food --> hopefully I will be vaporized in the initial attack because I don't want to live a life on the lamb from human extermination droids or something.

..........Or perhaps they want to come here to hunt down some really good jokes to pass on to their friends at happy hour in the Osirous system on Meridian 5 in the lerina quadrant.
edit on 12-12-2011 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
"Aliens" are right around the corner... In this (our) solar system.

And yes the contact could be risky. A total change of all paradigms.

Collapse or Evolution.

No other ways.

link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Though Hawking is an extremely intelligent man, this is one thing I have to disagree with him on. He states in his own documentary there are more than likely many planets in our universe that could have life. Any intelligent being will know how important an intelligent species is. Why would they take over our planet when so many other possible resources are available. Even lifeless planets can provide resources, so it is not logical that would be the case. If mankind survives long enough for technology to allow us to survive in space, the resouces in space are endless. Not to mention, in order to make that kind of journey across the universe, a species would have to had overcome resouce problems before ever even embarking on that kind of journey.

If the arguement is maybe they are just a menevolent species then how would they make it off their planet to begin with...at some point they would have to come together and cooperate, and if they are inelligent enough to do so they must be inteligent enough to understand how special intelligence is.

link   
reply to post by EllasArchaiaDynamis

If the U.S. ran out of food would it be asking other nations nicely, or taking what they need ?

And who knows what alien species call dinner!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Though Hawking is an extremely intelligent man, this is one thing I have to disagree with him on. He states in his own documentary there are more than likely many planets in our universe that could have life. Any intelligent being will know how important an intelligent species is. Why would they take over our planet when so many other possible resources are available. Even lifeless planets can provide resources, so it is not logical that would be the case. If mankind survives long enough for technology to allow us to survive in space, the resouces in space are endless. Not to mention, in order to make that kind of journey across the universe, a species would have to had overcome resouce problems before ever even embarking on that kind of journey.

If the arguement is maybe they are just a menevolent species then how would they make it off their planet to begin with...at some point they would have to come together and cooperate, and if they are inelligent enough to do so they must be inteligent enough to understand how special intelligence is.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by McGinty

i heard aliens LOVE mexican food , like nachos and tacos dipped in guacamole and spicy green goo .
most aliens are vegetarian , they throw up when they're forced to eat meat .
well , if aliens existed , that is .
which we have no proof of so we can only speculate ...
edit on 12-12-2011 by BoB420 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join