It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I've read many books on Hawkings and he is one of a lifetime brilliant man. This one actually scared the bejesus out of mel Although, I welcome aliens, I just hope they come in peace.

Stephen Hawking: Earth could be at risk of an invasion by aliens living in 'massive ships'

Stephen Hawking has revealed he strongly believes in aliens and warned that Earth could be at risk from an invasion.
In a documentary series, the renowned astrophysicist argued that it is 'perfectly rational' to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe.
And in an extraordinary series of assertions, he said Earth might be at risk from what he imagines to be 'massive ships' which could try to colonise our planet and plunder our resources.

Bunkers anyone??

Professor Hawking said we should keep our location secret as alien life may be far from friendly and may be keen to exploit our natural resources

If these aliens are millions of technoloy in technoloy, they already know we're here.

Professor Hawking said: 'We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. 'I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet.

'Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.'
It would be 'too risky' to attempt to make contact with alien races, he concluded.

'If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.

This is one of the best quotes I can imagine.

The 68-year-old eminent scientist has spent three years working on the Discovery Channel documentary series, Universe, despite being paralysed by motor neurone disease.
Professor Hawking, who communicates using a speech synthesizer, re-wrote large parts of the script and kept a close eye on the filming.
The programmes use imagined illustrations to explain why he believes in extraterrestrial life and the forms it could take.
The scientist said that most alien life is likely to consist of small animals or microbes in planets, stars or floating in space.
But in one scene, shoals of fluorescent animals are depicted living under thick ice on Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, while flying yellow predators prey on two-legged herbivores in another.

The existence of 100 billion galaxies each containing hundreds of millions of stars means Earth is unlikely to be the only place where life has evolved, Professor Hawking said.
'To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational. The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like,' he added.
New series: Stephen Hawking revealed he believes in life on other planets
Professor Hawking has suggested an open-minded attitude to extraterrestrials before, but the discovery of more than 450 previously-unknown planets orbiting distant stars since 1995 is believed to have strengthened his belief.
This year Professor Brian Cox, a physicist from the University of Manchester, also suggested life may exist elsewhere within our solar system - on Mars or the moons orbiting Jupiter or Saturn.
Britain's leading astronomer also provoked controversy by saying that the chance of detecting alien life was stronger than ever before.
Lord Rees, the Astronomer Royal and president of the Royal Society said: 'I suspect there could be life and intelligence out there in forms that we can’t conceive.

'And there could, of course, be forms of intelligence beyond human capacity, beyond as much as we are beyond a chimpanzee.'
Stephen Hawking's Universe begins on the Discovery Channel on Sunday May 9 at 9pm.
Executive producer John Smithson said: 'He wanted to make a programme that was entertaining for a general audience as well as scientific and that’s a tough job, given the complexity of the ideas involved.'

Here is the video....enjoy!!!!

MODERATOR EDIT -- changed title to the same title the news story has (ATS policy), and am adding the news story link right here: Story on Hawking's comments (note: news story is from 2010)
edit on 12-12-2011 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

+32 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I think Hawking is working for the government or something.
Like his job is to scare people about upcoming invasion...
I don't know why is he so "scared" of invasion by aliens, when we don't know if aliens even "exist".
We "haven't" found aliens, have we?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Hallo OP, sorry to say but the video link does not work.
Please correct it because I am curious.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pokoia

Hallo OP, sorry to say but the video link does not work.
Please correct it because I am curious.

Some please fix it or show me how to fix the video?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

edit on 11-12-2011 by gortex because: OP fixed video

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking said "God does not exist"

Meaning there is no entity in the Universe effecting mankind on Earth.

Well couldn't the "Alienz" be doing it and be the "Gods"?????

Maybe they just created us to mine the Gold for them. Every 10,000 years or so they decimate us and take all the Gold...leave a few people alive to restart the process of mining the Gold.

There's a massive amount of Gold from human history missing. Nobody knows where it is.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Can you link us to the page where you found the video? We can help!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Its obvious Stephen Hawking is super intellegent, however he isn't perfect and I personally think that is shown when he assumes aliens would react like us so called "humans". Why would they be up for war as much as us, and also surerly Hawking knows their are many other planets just like ours that they could use, that might not have any life to defeat anyway?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Ok now I know Steven H. Reads this forum! Arizona indeed!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Huge ships ready to colonize! That dose not make any sense and hear I am thinking hawking was a genius.

If advanced lifeforms can travel millions of light years to colonize other planets then it would seem they have figured out free energy. With free energy surely they would not run out of resources.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Here is the link I forgot to post, sorry in advance!!!
edit on 11-12-2011 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2011 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
Huge ships ready to colonize! That dose not make any sense and hear I am thinking hawking was a genius.

If advanced lifeforms can travel millions of light years to colonize other planets then it would seem they have figured out free energy. With free energy surely they would not run out of resources.

You're using a closed mind but you have a valid pointl But lets say they're not that advance and looking for a planet as ours.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
This guy started off as a very very clever person but just recentnly has turned into an idiot..
if an alien species wanted to erase the population we would already be dust..
try to scare everyone with this most preposterous lie is frankly unforgivable.. There is no proof anywhere
that supports a hostile invasion and he knows that much to his shame..
he also knows about the upcoming Ascention next year, he also knows about the governments plans to depopulate and stays silent..
This proves even really clever people can be influenced and not in a nice way..

Dear Smarty pants please think before scarmongering you may well scare people..
regards
plazmuh

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
He's just another dude making assumptions without any real evidence to back it up, as far as I can tell.

Thinking about what he said, though...it's almost as if the elite's "evil" is but a means to prepare us for insane combat in the future with aliens. As if they are hardening us up, and providing means to wipe out the weakest of our species so as to strengthen the herd.

Meh, just hungover ramblings here.

Still, just a dude talking out his bum as far as I'm concerned.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think that if there are aliens that are traveling from very very VERY distant star systems the only way they could reasonably travel is via wormhole, or at faster than lightspeed travel, Orrrrr if you really wanna come out on the limb with me, by using their "light body"-astral body- what have you..and to me, the only way a civilization could master that type of travel would be a mastery of the more spiritual side of life.

And if that's true, well then we have nothing to worry about, you don't become spiritual beings by invading other planets and plundering their resources.

I think our scientists think about this all in the wrong way...the think about it from their point of view..which is a wrong POV, b/c well they only know what they know..and they think that's all there is to know! Which is sort of ironic being that they're scientists!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

exactly...most scientists ARE bias, even though they shouldn't be.

Anyone can have a different view on things due to their beliefs or upbringing..YES, even Stephen Hawking.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
The way our world is and how we still have a load of wars going on about resources the real issue should be Aliens Could Be at Risk of an Invasion by Humans Living in Massive Ships, give it a few hundred years and you never know !
edit on 11-12-2011 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Ok dont get me wrong I do believe in aliens, I believe in the ancient alien theories.

I believe UFOs do visit this planet and observe us but don't want to disclose themselves to us yet, and I believe the government knows about them, so i would not say my mind is closed.

If they are not that advanced as you suggested in my previous post and turn up after a very long trip were talking 100000s of years if they can not travel faster than the speed of light which would involve generenation after generation living on a ship waiting to reach a habitable planet ours.

Then when they finally arrive I doubt we would welcome them with hugs and kisses, sounds like one hell of a wasted trip to reach earth to get the sh*t blown out of them!

edit on 11-12-2011 by RandalFlagg because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Its certainly plausible and possible. I am inclined to agree with hawkings that we should stay hidden. Aliens are probable and anything could be going on in the galaxy at the moment.

Wars, colony ships, von neuman (spelling?) probes. look what happened when any small tribe enountered a large civilization!

As for the colony ship it I'snt that far fetched. If you don't have a spaceship with some form of ftl drive it may not have enough resouces to go somewhere else once it realizes were here. Sometimes its simpler to just kill off the natives.

Admitadly though I'm more concerned about vn probes than colony ships but still

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join