It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you guys are doomed, you cant shoot!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by k1k1to

... after going through several of these basic targets, i had a thought....in a scenario where we are being attacked by MOVING targets, or we are running away from an angry mob, the same is painfully obvious its HARD to accurately hit anything while you are running, or while the targets are moving at you....

I totally get that. Wouldn't the "enemy" shooting at you also be in a running to shoot situation. Granted the fleeing people would have to shoot "backwards" while the people running towards you would have to shoot as they run. Either way, there would be a lot of missed rounds.

I do like the training tactics you recommended. Great ideas!

-E2

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I've never had a problem hitting running rabbits and flying birds. My son is so good at hitting moving targets that every time he tries to play paintball somewhere they won't let him play and make him the umpire. He's too good and no one else enjoys playing against him. They don't stand any chance at all.

Though I must admit, the one time I did try to shoot a human that was moving I missed by about 3 inches. He was running very fast and I didn't have any time to aim since my friend was trying to get the gun away from me. Sure wish I'd hit him. I HATE bullies.
edit on 14-12-2011 by Ookie because: added more stuff

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
My friends and I would play a lot of air-soft which is harder to be accurate but with no recoil. This teaches you to shoot on the run, camouflage, team building and just plain fun. Good air-soft guns are just as spendy as a real one though!

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to

my advice? for targets over 50 yards: optics

and train train train train, then train again. Everyone I know who's been shot at and had to shoot back will tell you the same thing. An M4 in the hands of an untrained person is an M4 free to take from its dead owner on the battlefield.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
That is so very true most people who pick up a full auto for the first time have no idea what's coming when they pull the trigger lol its always funny to watch trainees on day one of full auto and I have never understood except maybe its fear, that when they pull the trigger even when the gun takes off from target area that they don't let go and the horror on their face isn't able to be replicated. Also I have read many articles lately talking about assault rifles and because of the language used or I guess miss used I was going to just put it out there for those who don't know the difference. Assault rifles have two distinctive characteristics:
1.) full automatic fire.
2.) Detachable magazines with 20 or more rounds.
I practice with a M 16A-4 and a AR-10.

Well be safe everyone and have a great christmas.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Real men can fight without guns.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twiptwop
Real men can fight without guns.

i agree and i understand what you are saying..

however we are talking about a hypothetical situation where you would have to "run and shoot" or shoot multiple moving targets..

unless you live in the UK

here in the US you cant bring fists or sticks-n-stones to a gun fight..especially if you are protecting your family and or supplies in a state of complete and total anarchy and lawlessness

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
ok, I have a little experience with this subject s i will add mt 2 cents...which is worth about a tenth of that.

a lot of practice helps but the key thing to remember is that under duress the first thing that we as humans lose is our fine motor skills. This means that those of you that have semi automatic weapons are going to have problems loading and chambering a round. God forbid if it jams...you will be in a world of hurt. Stick with a revolver much less can go wrong.

someone mentioned a shotgun as a good close quarters weapon loaded with buck shot....i disagree. The shotgun, yes but not buckshot. load the rounds with piano wire...there are commercial versions available called bolo rounds. They are rather expensive though. The piano wire will cut just about anything but it wont go thru the drywall and studs and kill your children in the next room. what kind of shotgun? I have a Remi 870 but the mossberg is just as good for what they are made for...they will both take a beating.

running and gunning leave that to the movies...move to cover and return fire...if you can manage it then slip away and conserve you ammo

it is better to run too cover then return fire...better yet if you can manage it then get the hell out...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by kaferwerks

sorry for the typing mistakes above. it is tough to do on my phone and I exceeded my 4 hr window to edit my post.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
While shooting is a good skill to have, you won't need it. If SHTF, you'll need it until chaos dies down. But I wouldn't rely on shooting since you are limited to supply. Eventually, you'll be hitting people with your gun instead of shooting them.
edit on 30-12-2011 by ColorGuard because: I didn't the wording.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaferwerks

running and gunning leave that to the movies...move to cover and return fire...if you can manage it then slip away and conserve you ammo

completely agree with this, if you are running and gunning then you have (most likely) massively screwed up before you got there.

As for moving targets, again your best chance is to stay under cover and not be seen; you shouldnt be shooting unless you absolutely have no choice. If you start trying to pump rounds into a moving target chances are his buddy is about to do the same to you.
edit on 31-12-2011 by zvezdar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Booby traps grenades and shotguns are the only way to play the game
just remember to lead the target

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Took battalion all-time record in variable range pop-up target.

One shot killed an 8 foot long snake lunging at me.

One shot killed (decapitated) a particular mammal in mid-air as it lunged at my spouse's throat.

Not too worried about abilities.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Besides balloons, and my RC toy, my favorite moving targets at the range are: flys or yellowjackets, that are attracted to my paper target, after I smear some honey or peanut butter on it.

Next are: Tennis and golf balls ---- The tennis ball is pierced by a fishing hook with a small nylon leader; then tie a two or three foot string with a loop at the end, and thread it thru a 3 foot long string that is attached to two wooden furring strips. Make sure, when you driil the hole for the string in the golfballs, that you don't use the old rubber band core models, cuz it will cause the drill bit to jam. You get the best reaction, by using 22 rimfire for the tennis balls.

Last but not least --- Are my favorite pine cones, that are thrown up on the backstop at my range; as I have permission from the RSO [range safety officer]. The pine cones react the best when you aim and shoot, at the dirt, just underneath the pine cones. Any caliber will suffice, to make them leap in the air, with all kinds of different trajectory's; with some going at least 10 feet in the air. After you propel the pine cone, after the first shot, you or your shooting partner, can blast the pine cone in mid-air; or plink it, while it is rolling down the backstop.

Enjoy,

Erno86
edit on 31-12-2011 by Erno86 because: added a few words

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If you know your weak in this area, work on it to build it up, so that your happy and content with your skills...this goes for everything you do. Shooting, building, camping, hunting, prepping, and even in your normal everyday life. If you lack with anything from computer skills to survival skills...only you can improve them. Its up to you to make you a better person.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join