It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

you guys are doomed, you cant shoot!

page: 1
3
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
i was at a friends house yesterday, trying out some of his new guns, which included a rifle similar to the army issued M16, also a remington shotgun, and a pistol. my friend owns a big chunk of property and thats were we usually do our shooting practice, so he set up the usual targets which consisted of the following.

*cans lined up next to each other
*traditional circle targets as well as human siluete targets.
*small objects to increase our accuracy and aiming.

after going through several of these basic targets, i had a thought....in a scenario where we are being attacked by MOVING targets, or we are running away from an angry mob, the same is painfully obvious its HARD to accurately hit anything while you are running, or while the targets are moving at you.

to test this we rigged up a remote control car with a plastic pole attached to it holding a target. we mimicked the speed and movement of a person comming towards you from about 50-60ft away. We both took turns trying to hit the moving target, and trying to run away from it, while turning and shooting every now and then. Let me tell you we both failed 10/10 times, and my friend was recently released from the army after serving 4 years, even he couldnt hit the targets.

thats a pretty scary thought, when the dead start rising, or our economy colapses, or we go through another civil war, or nuclear war, or invasion the "bad" guys will not be standing still lined up next to each other like some tin cans. they will be running at you, hiding from you, and vise-versa.

so for all of you who are "locked and loaded" when SHTF you might want to think again, and hit the range. because you are screwed if you cant shoot another thing thats running at you with the intention to kill you. if you are already a good shot, make sure you change up your routine. heres some practice techniques you could try if you have the time and ammo to spare.

*tie some balloons to string and hang them from a tree branch, the wind will cause the balloon to move in an unpredictable way, giving you a challenge and good practice

*rig up a R/C car

*attach a target to a tire swing.

*learn how to shoot in a prone position

*learn how to shoot and walk at the same time.

*practice shooting while taking cover

*practice night time shooting with little to no light.

*learn how to shoot-n-run, while you are "escaping" an enemy

those are just a few examples on how to really prepare for a future scenario where you might have to use your weapon.

remember those tin cans/paper targets dont fight back.

humans/zombies/terrorists do,

thanks for your time.

and im ready for those "buffalo bill" expert shooters to come and claim that they are expert marksmen




posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I couldn't shoot my way out of a paper bag, but my husband is quite good at skeet shooting. As long as he is able to shoot, I'm not worried.



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
There are a small few who can do it...I dunno...5 times out of ten with little practice, a friend of mine when I was a kid is/was one of those.

He winged a parrot with a small air rifle and we went to go finish it off, so as we're walking towards the bird in the paddock he was reloading the rifle. All of a sudden the bird took off and in the same instant he had snapped the barrel back up followed it and pinged it from 30 feet away.

Was an amazing shot and he could do such a thing fairly regularly...normally with silver eyes flitting around in the fruit trees and those birds were tiny and fast!



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Be real will you?? Marksmanship under duress is always different than during practice. It a known fact that the ratio of hits and misses are 1 in 1000+ under combat conditions (Unless you're a SEAL or other Special Forces) or an already hardened vet of combat. It doesn't mean you can't shoot it means that when the other guy is shooting back at you your mindset changes. This principal does not mean everyone is the same but there are so many variables involved that you can't make too many blanket statements on the ability of ones marksmanship!
Keep practicing anyway because the way things are shaping up, you may just have to put your present incite to the test for real!

Zindo



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
If you can't then why would they be anymore successful?

That's a good illustration why you should carry a crow bar or knife on you, or just switch to a shot gun.




posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
paintballing is a good way to learn these combat skills.
the ones who win though are usually the ones not running and shooting.



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
If you can't then why would they be anymore successful?

, or just switch to a shot gun.



never fails



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to
 


I'm reminded of my father picking off dime-sized stones at 200 yards to show off. You are correct, though; a moving target would be hard enough to hit while you're standing still--let alone while you also are moving.



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I suggest you look into the IPSC organization. There are many locations for IPSC practice and competitions.


The competitions include running and moving targets....big fun with a glock...and they have shotgun games too.


IPSC was established to promote, maintain,
and advance practical marksmanship.
marksman

The International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) was established to promote, maintain, improve and advance the sport of IPSC shooting, to safeguard its principles and to regulate its conduct worldwide in order to cultivate the safe, recreational use of firearms by persons of good character.

The art of shooting can be traced back as far as the middle ages but it wasn't until the 19th century that shooting really developed into a sport.

In the 200 years since, shooters have come together in a variety of organizations, at the local, national, and world levels, to practice, perfect, and perpetuate the shooting sports.

Competitive IPSC-style shooting developed in southern California in the late 1950's and quickly spread throughout the shooting world to Australia, Central and South America, Europe, and Southern Africa.

As the sport attracted greater interest, the participants sought a more structured competition environment. As a result, in May of 1976, the International Pistol Conference was held in Colombia, Missouri where sportsmen from around the world participated in determining the structure, organization, and future of IPSC marksmanship. A constitution was established and the Confederation was born.

Accuracy, power, and speed were recognized as the quintessential elements and have become the foundation of IPSC shooting. The Latin motto Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas (DVC) meaning accuracy, power, and speed was introduced to reflect these balanced elements. Range procedures and rules for competitions, as well as safe gun handling standards, were also adopted.

www.ipsc.org...

edit on 11-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
I suggest you look into the IPSC organization. There are many locations for IPSC practice and competitions.


The competitions include running and moving targets....big fun with a glock...and they have shotgun games too.


IPSC was established to promote, maintain,
and advance practical marksmanship.
marksman

The International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) was established to promote, maintain, improve and advance the sport of IPSC shooting, to safeguard its principles and to regulate its conduct worldwide in order to cultivate the safe, recreational use of firearms by persons of good character.

The art of shooting can be traced back as far as the middle ages but it wasn't until the 19th century that shooting really developed into a sport.

In the 200 years since, shooters have come together in a variety of organizations, at the local, national, and world levels, to practice, perfect, and perpetuate the shooting sports.

Competitive IPSC-style shooting developed in southern California in the late 1950's and quickly spread throughout the shooting world to Australia, Central and South America, Europe, and Southern Africa.

As the sport attracted greater interest, the participants sought a more structured competition environment. As a result, in May of 1976, the International Pistol Conference was held in Colombia, Missouri where sportsmen from around the world participated in determining the structure, organization, and future of IPSC marksmanship. A constitution was established and the Confederation was born.

Accuracy, power, and speed were recognized as the quintessential elements and have become the foundation of IPSC shooting. The Latin motto Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas (DVC) meaning accuracy, power, and speed was introduced to reflect these balanced elements. Range procedures and rules for competitions, as well as safe gun handling standards, were also adopted.

www.ipsc.org...

edit on 11-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)


thanks..i will be definately checking it out



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
World Three Gun Competition is also a way to gain experience with moving and shooting. It's Pistol, Rifle and shotgun scenarios for time and accuracy!
3-Gun Nation
And Western 3 Gun:

Western 3 Gun


edit on 12/11/2011 by ZindoDoone because: links



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to
 


First off, its good that you know now, that your not a good shot. Now you should practice, however I highly recommend that you go through a shooting school...so you learn how to shoot and don't get bad habbits...it is easier if your unskilled, so that way you don't have to break a bad habbit.

I am not going to bash you for your lack of skills in shooting, not everyone is a good shot...you now know your lacking it that area...you can fix that.
I will say that with everything you said about walking and shooting, moving and shooting, driving and shooting...well for some people things like that are REQUIRED for the job...and I am not talking about 1 hit in 10.

Lets just say that there are several things you should work on...before you even shoot a single round down range.
1) a good stance...standing kneeling sitting or prone
2) natural point of aim
3) slow steady trigger pull.
4) breathing should be a beep breath, exhale..a slight pause when you've exhaled all the air..then fire at that point.

That is shooting 101...when you pick a school to attend, make sure its a good school, and that they have been a shooting instructor for awhile and they have the certifications as proof.

www.youtube.com...

check out this kind of shooting, its by magpul, the art of the tactical carbine...



edit on 11-12-2011 by saltdog because: spelling

edit on 11-12-2011 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2011 by saltdog because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Machine guns can do the trick.

Maybe it is why the military uses them.



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn
 


If memory serves me, Our military does not give every member a full auto. They are now 3 shot burst and semi-auto select M-16 with one designated member carrying the heavy machine gun the SAW M-249!

Zindo



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to
 


That is why, assuming that you are not out of range, a shotgun (loaded with buckshot not slugs or birdshot) is the best Close Quarters Weapon for self defense against multiple moving targets.



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by k1k1to
 


That is why, assuming that you are not out of range, a shotgun (loaded with buckshot not slugs or birdshot) is the best Close Quarters Weapon for self defense against multiple moving targets.


UNLESS you have a Class 3 permit for a fully automatic weapon and you have plenty of ammo (ie, SAW with 100 round drum). And then with a Class 3 license you will probably be at the top of the list for gun confiscation when the time comes.....



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by k1k1to
 


Would you be here In Florida? Just curious as to I have noticed such guns being fired yesterday. And even a M16 type on a large piece of property white fence rebel Flag.
And if that is you I`d be curious to know what kind of practice that Stop sign made?



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by WarJohn
 


If memory serves me, Our military does not give every member a full auto. They are now 3 shot burst and semi-auto select M-16 with one designated member carrying the Text machine gun the SAW M-249!

Zindo


The SAW is a squad automatic weapon, and wasn't even considered a machine gun in the USMC...take 1 guess how I know


BTW a HEAVY GUN is the .50 cal.
edit on 11-12-2011 by saltdog because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
It is becoming more and more obvious that many of you are lacking in skill and knoweldge of anything involving weapons and the military. Please do some type of research before you guess...you don't wanna fill this with a lot of BS and misinformation.



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
reply to post by k1k1to
 


Would you be here In Florida? Just curious as to I have noticed such guns being fired yesterday. And even a M16 type on a large piece of property white fence rebel Flag.
And if that is you I`d be curious to know what kind of practice that Stop sign made?




i do live in florida...BUT i havent been shooting any stop signs



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join