It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS Protestor Shows How It Really Works

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I find it strange that I haven't seen this story take on more traction.

It seems one OWS protester, a lady named Tracy Postert, with a degree in biochemistry, has managed to make her way out of the economic turmoil surrounding Wall Street, by simply doing one unthinkable act... trying to find a job.

"Passers-by would say, 'Get a job,' and I didn't have a really good response to that," Postert told CNN.

"I wanted to say, 'Well, I'm trying to get a job,' but you know you can't really prove it." Postert said. "So I said, why don't I make a sign (and prove) that I am actively looking for a job?"

Within two days, she said, someone spotted her. They exchanged e-mails, and an offer followed.
Source: www.cnn.com...

That offer was from Wall Street itself.

Maybe the reason this has been only been lightly covered is that it is an exception, and an exception that goes against the hysteria and hype surrounding the various 'protests'... and there is a reason I place quotes around the word 'protests'. Every one I have seen seems more like some sort of party than a demonstration. In a demonstration, people are angry; they are holding their signs, making demands, and chanting in unison toward their targets. What I have seen is wild costumes, parades, laughter, singing... far from what I would expect to see in a protest.

I remember the Vietnam War protests form the 60s. While I also feel those were ill-founded, they were also more of a protest. There was no partying; what you saw was masses of individuals acting as one making their demands known and refusing to take "no" for an answer. Those were so far from these circuses called OWS that it is amazing to me how news reports can even compare the two.

So here is this one woman, someone who had much to protest, deciding to at least try her luck. She changed her sign from whatever it said to "Job Wanted", and lo and behold, she got a job offer... from the very people she had been protesting!

How many stories have appeared across the news of OWS making crazy demands and taking over private property? How many times have I heard them say that the power brokers are "the enemy"? Well, it appears this enemy isn't playing the blame game. They are going on about their daily lives, doing what they do, with no ill will even toward those who hold ill will toward them.

People should take a lesson from this woman. Sometimes the mob mentality isn't the right mentality, and sometimes your enemy is really yourself and not who you think it is.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I wonder if she is using all the dirty stolen money she is getting being a 1%'er to pay for all the living expenses of the 99%'ers?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Maybe the reason this has been only been lightly covered is that it is an exception, and an exception that goes against the hysteria and hype surrounding the various 'protests'... and there is a reason I place quotes around the word 'protests'. Every one I have seen seems more like some sort of party than a demonstration. In a demonstration, people are angry; they are holding their signs, making demands, and chanting in unison toward their targets. What I have seen is wild costumes, parades, laughter, singing... far from what I would expect to see in a protest.

Did you watch the video in your own link? This: "In a demonstration, people are angry; they are holding their signs, making demands, and chanting in unison toward their targets" is pretty much exactly what it shows.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I guess the only way this would be a true protest is if the OWSers would wear tri-cornered hats and carry guns.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The lesson that I take away is that there are actually intelligent and well-qualified people who are unemployed and at those protests. So much for it just being a bunch of lazy kids.

This lady was lucky enough to have a chance to break through the red tape and bureaucracy and actually speak to a human being to be able to prove her intelligence. Kudos to her; most people don't get that chance.
edit on 11-12-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

Yeah.. I'm super stoked for this one woman out of tens of thousands of protesters. She's a tool and I doubt this story. If she felt strongly about the movement she wouldn't have allowed herself to be used against it this way. She has to be aware that that is the point of the story was to say "if they just tried they get a job hur hur." So she just got a job and forgot what it was ever like before she had it.

I like the little bit at the end when the guy sleights the movement saying "she will protest again, when she finds something.. worth.. protesting."

This is all bologna.
edit on 11-12-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Hey Redneck, I would love to disagree with you on OWS. But I cant, you are spot on in your observation. OWS really starts to look like a festival.

Even more surprising is the behaviour of the crowd when the police wants to single-out one individual and arrest him.
They just give way to the police and let them "do their job"!!!! , while chanting goes on. What a bunch of cowards, looks more like well trained cattle to me. Where is the free spirit?
edit on 11/12/11 by Pokoia because: language mistake

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Yeah, I watched it... both on CNN the other night and again on the site. There is maybe 5 seconds of the chanting, angry demonstration among more like 30 seconds of singing, dancing, music, and sitting chatting with others in the park. And that's not the scenes I was even referring to; I have been quietly watching these protests since they began, from news clips to personally-streamed videos from protesters. I see constant partying occasionally interrupted by a few seconds of actual protests. I repeat: that's a party, not a demonstration.

I should have added the word "almost" in my OP... for that I will take some heat.

The point is, however, that all this woman had to do was hold up a simple sign saying "Job Wanted" and she got a job by the very people she was protesting. And now she claims she is being called a 'traitor' and an 'insider plant' by those who once accepted her as a fellow protester. All because she got a job?!?

This is telling me that those on Wall Street are not interested in fighting, and those protesting are interested more in fighting than in anything else, including fixing their problems. Sorry if you disagree, but that's my take.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
The lesson that I take away is that there are actually intelligent and well-qualified people who are unemployed and at those protests. So much for it just being a bunch of lazy kids.

This lady was lucky enough to have a chance to break through the red tape and bureaucracy and actually speak to a human being to be able to prove her intelligence. Kudos to her; most people don't get that chance.

So, going to work for the same people you are protesting is a good thing in your eyes?

Tool: anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wow so if all these OWS occupiers simply hold up a sign asking for work they will get a job.

Btw I thought they were occupying not protesting, wanting to keep their occupy movement as peaceful as possible.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist
Wow so if all these OWS occupiers simply hold up a sign asking for work they will get a job.

I just wonder how the 1% think of the 99% after seeing how deep, or shallow actually, their convictions go? Bet they love how easy it was to 'buy' one of them. Wonder if she's processing home foreclosures?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I am confused... please help me to understand this.

The whole reason there are protests (or occupiances, or whatever) is because there are few jobs, less good paying jobs, meaning home foreclosures are on the rise and people are having trouble making ends meet, right?

So here this "1%" (I still don't understand that term really) has given one of the "99%" a good paying job, just for asking... and that's a bad thing?

I thought that was what the protestors wanted?

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Every one I have seen seems more like some sort of party than a demonstration. In a demonstration, people are angry; they are holding their signs, making demands, and chanting in unison toward their targets. What I have seen is wild costumes, parades, laughter, singing... far from what I would expect to see in a protest.

Not in my experience. The actual marches I attended were fairly irate with the intention of remaining as peaceful as possible in order to gain credibility and support. The times that I have been to an Occupy camp were a little more lowkey (save for the General Assemblies) and focused on day to day living (I did a spell in Oakland's kitchen though I never stayed a night). People are certainly doing what people do to get through another day in those situations.

I am trying to be at Oakland's Port Occupy tomorrow and that will most certainly be a heated environment...will hopefully have a thread with video/pics/personal commentary if I can make it...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

From what I have gotten from the Occupy... protesters is they want the 1%'ers; banks, Wall St, big business, etc; to end their evil business practices of feeding off the 99% for their own personal gains. Now, one of the 99%'ers protesting the evil business practices of the 1%'ers going to work for them enforcing those same evil business practices she was protesting a short while ago seems to me just slightly hypocritical. Although the almighty dollar can buy just about anybody's loyalty in today's world. Values and convictions followed personal responsibility down the ol' pooper chute quite a few years ago.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Can you define what those "evil business practices" are? It sounds like it means charging for popular products/services, but I am going to assume for now that is not the case.

I really want to understand this...

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Oh.. so for you it depends more highly on what footage the news uses more. That makes about no sense whatsoever.

I watched on a live feed for the entire eviction of Portland camp and there were ten thousand people in the streets facing off against the cops. People are protesting in the street for 4 or 5 months straight and not only do you expect they should give up all forms of entertainment while in the street, but say they aren't really a protest.

They are getting a pretty big reaction from the government, have caused an amendment to be introduced, and spreading a message.That is pretty much exactly a protest.
edit on 11-12-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do... So I leave it up to you....

Tax the rich, feed the poor, 'till there are no rich no more...

We've been here before...

Long, long time ago.....

History repeats.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

No. You know what the protesters want. Plucking one dead eyed protester up so you can run a story about how the protester defected is obviously a game. Do you know how many protesters are out there with signs displaying their degrees, master degrees, and etc.

Protests are not just about job creation. They are anti government corruption. They are protesting the state of this country and the people that got us to this point.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Protests are not just about job creation. They are anti government corruption. They are protesting the state of this country and the people that got us to this point.

They are down with capitalism, corporate elitism etc. For social reforms, communism, more government regulation, more entitlements and more....

They don't really care, it is what it is today, and something for someone else, or another group tomorrow.

It will die soon, and eventually come back in another form.

It is people, tired, vulnerable, gullible, exploitable and in some cases desperate enough to follow anything, or anyone with a message and hope for change that will never come, a handout they can dream of, a cause that really is not theirs, ultimate goals and objectives that are far beyond them....

Can they change the world?

No, but they can be changed inside, and most importantly, changed ideologically.

Occupy what?

edit on 11-12-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join