It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Who is Threatening Who?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This map speaks a thousand words.

Each star is a US military base.

Source

The map should say "Insert American backed puppet government here" in place of Iran and Syria are on the map.

I don't blame Iran and Russia for being concerned about American military expansion in the region. It's all but clear what they're trying to do, and they have almost completed their goal.
edit on 11-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
To me, the fact America has to bomb every country surrounding Iran before even daring to invade says it all.

They missed their oppotunity, now they are in decline.

Iran has played it's cards and made it's alliances, she is prepared for war.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Babbleman

It must be costly to continuously fund all those foreign military bases.

The price tag is probably enormous.

Lucky for Washington the opium trade in Afghanistan is booming

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Lucky for Washington the opium trade in Afghanistan is booming

Hahah I can see you understand.

If only they taxed the pharmaceutical companies.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
The united states is estimated to have anything from 700 millitary bases around the world to more than 1,000. They are not an aggressive nation and only have all our best interests at heart by spreading peace and democracy
Here is a nice graphic of their grip on our little blue dot. nationalpostnews.files.wordpress.com...Click to expand.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Thanks for sharing

It's very relevant to the topic and helps shed more light on the subject.

These maps aren't even showing the "secret" bases from what I can tell, not that I know where they would be in the first place.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Well done USA! thats what I say. Of course Iran, Syria are long term plans, why shouldnt they be. Every country has to look after their own interests. Thats what USA is doing. Long term strategy plainly does not involve keeping maniac religious fundamentalists striving for nuclear weapons, in power. I am afraid there is no case for asking all the children to put down their toys and play nicely. The harsh realities of the world and human beings nature is coming home to roost in the early part of this century. It really is a case of us or them. I choose US. What about you?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HeavierThanLight
Every country has to look after their own interests

Especially at the expense of other nations, right?

I didn't even bother to read the rest of your post.

edit on 11-12-2011 by Babbleman because: grammar

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Yes damn right at the expense of other un-allied nations. Forget about all this pretence of one world looking out for each other, it just is not like that.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by HeavierThanLight

Yes damn right at the expense of other un-allied nations.

If you want to get technical, most of these wars are fought at the expense of the regular American people while the rich elitists get richer.

So yes these war campaigns come at the expense of un-allied nations, but there are many other expenses, such as American bloodshed. Surely American blood has some worth to you, so it comes at your expense as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It wouldnt really matter where there bases are when the nuc's start flying !

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I don't blame Iran and Russia for being concerned about American military expansion in the region. It's all but clear what they're trying to do, and they have almost completed their goal.

Your post is an excellent example of how to lie with maps. By centering on Iran, you make it appear that the US is encircling them. Let's take a look at the bigger picture:

The United States has bases everywhere. Iran is being egotistical in thinking they are something special. Remember, World War I started because the Germans thought they were being "encircled," and had no choice but to strike first.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Your post actually accelerates the OP's opinion.

The map you showed clearly details that America's interest is currently the middle-east and in doing so, surrounding Iran. The other largest cluster is Europe, and obviously there are no strategies to be had there, except for a launching-off point to the middle-east and abroad.

Others are drug-war and puppet-government related clusters.

You also conveniently left out the fact that the US is in fact at war with bordering countries on either side of Iran. At war. As in, active military combat operations.
edit on 11-12-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Please point out how I used the provided map to lie.

Are the bases I mentioned non existent?

Are there no U.S. military bases that surround Iran?

Do you not think that Russia should be concerned? Russia is a big country and Iran is in it's general geographic neighborhood.

I'm fully aware of the American presence all around the glob, but you must admit that it's concentration within the ME is abnormal, especially for a country that claims to promote peace and freedom.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

You also conveniently left out the fact that the US is in fact at war with bordering countries on either side of Iran. At war. As in, active military combat operations.

Perhaps that explains the presence of the bases.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Please point out how I used the provided map to lie.

Are the bases I mentioned non existent?

Are there no U.S. military bases that surround Iran?

Do you not think that Russia should be concerned? Russia is a big country and Iran is in it's general geographic neighborhood.

I'm fully aware of the American presence all around the glob, but you must admit that it's concentration within the ME is abnormal, especially for a country that claims to promote peace and freedom.

I have explained how you used the map to lie. You isolated the view with Iran in the center and implied that the presence of military bases meant that the US was specifically placing them to target Iran. Using the same logic, would you say the US is threatening Switzerland?

www.fissilematerials.org...

The use of maps to argue that one's homeland is under threat because it is being "encircled by enemies" is a classic propaganda ploy:

longstreet.typepad.com...

The US military is engaged in combat operations in the area, naturally they have bases there. Why does Iran think they have anything to do with them? Perhaps if they stopped chanting "Death to America" they wouldn't find them so threatening.

I agree that the US is overvaluing the strategic importance of the area. Petroleum should have been eliminated as an energy source by the end of the last century. As soon as the new technology comes online, the Gulf area will have nothing of any value but year round port facilities for the Russian Federation. Then Iran can go back to living peacefully in the 16th Century where it belongs.
edit on 11-12-2011 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I have explained how you used the map to lie.

No you haven't.

Not in this post or your previous ones.

As the other member pointed out, your explanation only strengthened my argument.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Babbleman

Originally posted by HeavierThanLight
Every country has to look after their own interests

Especially at the expense of other nations, right?

I didn't even bother to read the rest of your post.

edit on 11-12-2011 by Babbleman because: grammar

Actually, every nation does take its own interest above other nations-- to the extent that other nations will be allowed to suffer if important enough.

Let us not forget that the people of nations suffer under their own governments. Somalia being the prime example, but no body seems to care.

The "grass-roots" protests of Iranian citizens was squashed by their government, as we see in Syria, now, and had seen in Egypt and Libya. Governments seem to care enough about the suffering people in other nations-- IF their government is also a threat to their interest-- but only if that.

So, if the people of a nation with oil or an oil pipeline suffer, the oil dependent nations take note-- not out of humanitarian concern, but to preserve its own interests.

-------

It would be interesting to see a map of the former Soviet bases superimposed on the one in the OP. I imagine many are now gone because Russia can no longer support them. China, too, must have several along the eastern edge of that map.

However, it is fair to note that Somalian people asked for help and the food went first, and the vast majority of it was from the US. Troops went in only when the food was not getting to the people. The "Blackhawk Down" incident had selfish Americans screaming that Somalia would be "another Viet Nam!" and such; so the will to do the right thing when not in America's own interest was fleeting.

While I point an accusing finger at Americans for shallow concern for other nations, I cannot really point the finger to accuse other nations of doing much of anything when they see others suffering. While Americans do not care enough, other nations just don't care at all.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Please explain what you think it's clear that they're trying to do, and how this map supports your conclusion.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by HeavierThanLight

Are you insane or something?

No wonder we have it so bad here in this country when we can't wean our own sheep off of the crap they feed on.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join