It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conceal and Carry Laws Effective Dec 1, 2011 Good News!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
IMO we should have laws set in stone by the people that "no government" should ever have the right to remove or change without consent of the masses.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

that was my initial knee jerk reaction too. The way it was worded to me made sense, but of course I did not see the bill. I would love to find it! I couldnt even regurgitate it right now if I tried.

But you are right about the issue with the democrats sneaking stuff in too......Of course that is a whole other can of worms off topic. I'm not partial to any party...... They both p*ss me off.....

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I wish you were talking about Canada

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
My family has been shooting for sport ever since I can remember. My dad bought me and my brother both rifles when we turned 6. It was my dad who taught me gun safety, how to clean it and it was always locked up until the next time we went to shoot. When I was 22, I worked as a bartender and bought a 38cal because I got off work, late, and I live in a high crime area. I never did get a permit and always had it in my purse for protection.

I became a law enforcement officer when I was 26 and never bothered to get a permit, since I was always armed anyway. I retired in 2005, worked contract security in the middle east and returned to work in the security field again. I still didnt obtain a concealed permit, but I do have a D & G license. I just applied for my concealed permit because of the new laws, and I was afraid that God forbid I was caught carrying a gun, even being retired, that some rookie would make a big deal about it.

For me personally, I feel that under the constitution, I should be able to carry a firewarm anyway. I have always been responsible and I handle my gun in a safe manner. I am glad that we can now carry in the State Parks because I always carried S&W with me when I went hiking alone on the trails. I will be legal soon.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ladylaw

I love your story! Mine was somewhat similar in that I used to carry a gun in my purse without a permit when I was younger, after being raised around them, it felt natural. I eventually joined the Army LOL.....I love the BIG GUNS

Now that I have young kids, I too am teaching them about weapon safety and hopefully someday they will be respectable citizens who also take advantage of their birth given right to bear arms!

Thanks for your post!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
There is something that comes to mind when seeing stories on CCW laws changing and the general rush of new interest and permit holders that brings. The state course is kinda boring....with a few bits of interesting trivia thrown in if you've been around firearms and have a natural habit of respecting them and using common sense. Likewise, the shooting requirement of x number of rounds into a BIG silhouette target at 7yrds was pretty easy as they required it in Missouri.

What I wanted to add though is that I had spent the extra money to go through some additional classes after that in high stress/scenario based situations. They weren't fun, and they weren't supposed to be..but I certainly learned a few things in live fire under that simulated stress that was wildly different than I'd imagined it would be. It might save a life some day that those inconvenient differences came in training where I just looked a little stupid...and not in real life where I would have handed the bad guy my life/or death as an immediate choice of his mercy.

I just hope no one comes out of the state classes thinking that was enough. It's very similar to the trucking school I went through to get my CDL for the OTR driving. It only taught enough to be a little cocky and a whole lot dangerous if someone wasn't careful...and there were a couple people in my CCW class who passed, by the way, I thought at the time I hoped became one of those people to talk of carrying a weapon and never actually do.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
, I thought at the time I hoped became one of those people to talk of carrying a weapon and never actually do.

There was a lady that kept getting her hand caught in the hammer, I did not see what was carrying until the end when her napkin was covered in blood.........hopefully she gets a lot more practice before she decides to carry!!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
reply to post by theRhenn

Hell no Amigo, I was actually agreeing with you! I deal with people with no common sense everyday as you do. Not picking on you one bit!

Zindo

Didnt mean to come off as an ass there and defensive. Work and ATS can kill ya at the same time
I definatly dont want to come off as a nannied anything in this country. The alternative kinda seems like the old west could take place, but I have faith that the people around now are alot more civilized and mindful of on one another's existance, even if we havnt come all that close to one anothers well being. With hopes, we're mostly over the halfway point if not better.

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
My Dad was an L.A. County Sheriff's Deputy for many years. He taught me and my brother to shoot when we were 13 & 12, respectively; he always emphasized gun safety and keeping your gun cleaned and well maintained. I have owned a .22 cal rifle and 12 gauge shotgun as a teenager and enjoyed going to the range to shoot both a .38 and .357 mag; I enjoy shooting as an adult as well. Luckily for me, here in AZ, there are no requirements for a permit to open carry or conceal carry a handgun, although they do issue permits when requested, after application and gun safety and shooting classes.

I fully support the right to own and carry concealed, however, I think everyone who does cc should be required to complete a thorough background check and gun safety classes. Otherwise, I agree that the new changes in the cc laws are good ones.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I know a cop that teaches the conceal carry course in Nevada and he knows of many more cases of CCW holders coming to the aid of officers then committing crimes.
And he believes there are a many more that happen where the CCW holder never displays his gun and just stands by till they are sure the officer has things under control.

And i know a officer that was a cop in Calif and had moved to Nevada to work as a cop that said it took him a few times to get use to having cars stop and someone get out behind there car while he was making a felony stop of another car in remote rural areas where backup could be a long time coming.

His boss had warned him that the locals would back him up when they saw him alone making a felony stop as in many parts of the state carrying a loaded handgun in a car is legal without a permit.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
Really? Are you serious?

So in retaliation... No imagination, no doubt from the inability to read a responce...

I'm confused.. Did you read my original responce? Seriously?
edit on 11-12-2011 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

Well, I thought I did.

I guess I'll try again....

Ok, I have once again read your three vividly detailed "hypothetical" scenarios (just like the first time I read your post) spawning from immature or unbalanced people suddenly gaining the privilege to carry anywhere, and doing stupid stuff with said privilege.

My point was, I think this happens less than you imagine.

It's easy to sit and conjure up endless "what if", and "how would you feel then" scenarios, but does that really do much good?

I'm sorry my comments compelled you to "retaliate" to my post and belittle my imagination and reading comprehension skills, and honestly, I don't see what in my original comments warranted "retaliation" against. I was trying to be comforting. I'll shut the hell up now.

edit on 12-12-2011 by tjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

This is a huge victory for the 2nd Amendment! I was told that this law was snuck into the Credit Protection Act that was recently passed..lol

Nope. It went through on it's own. There was a lot of calling, writing, and face to face time from Grass Roots and NRA members across the state. We got a lot of good things out of it. Republican leadership shot down a lot of measures. It was a hard fight to get the bill through. We still have a lot of work to do in the future though.

PDF of The Ratified Bill
edit on 13-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

I know there are lots of hoops to jump through. Same thing when you buy a handgun. Yet, handguns are still a major factor in fatal shootings today. Hoops do not determin wether or not a person is sane enough to use one.

That would be true except for one thing, if you have ever been ajudicated mentally deficient you are federally prohibited from owning or purchasing a handgun. That information would come back on the instant back ground check that the federal government requires every FFL holder to perform prior to the sell.

Everyone who has the ability to buy a handgun has the same ability to get a permit.

This people are prohibited under federal law from buying a handgun:
The following list of prohibited persons[5] are ineligible to own firearms under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.[6]

Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors except where state law reinstates rights, or removes disability.
Fugitives from justice
Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs
Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution and currently containing a dangerous mental illness.
Non-US citizens, unless permanently immigrating into the U.S. or in possession of a hunting license legally issued in the U.S.
Illegal Aliens
Those who have renounced U.S. citizenship
Minors defined as under the age of eighteen for long guns and handguns, with the exception of Vermont, eligible at age sixteen.
Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (an addition)
Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition
Those who already own firearms would normally be required to relinquish them upon conviction.

Now can a criminal go out and find somebody to buy a gun? Yes, they have the illegal means and ability. However, they can not get a permit.

Keep in mind.. Stupid isnt age specific. Stupid has nothing to do with book smarts. Common sense plays into this.

Yep, but the average concealed permit holder is eight times less likely to be arrested for any reason than the average person. They are fourteen times less likely to be arrested for any gun related crime. That doesn't mean just shooting somebody. That means carrying in a prohibited manner, in a prohibited place, brandishing, and everything else.In other words concealed permit holders tend to be more level headed and more law abiding than the average Joe. They also tend to be the guys preaching the four laws of safety.

btw, you know how many "trainers" will tell you BS in class? I had one guy tell me that accidents DONT happen. He was my defensive driving teacher (while in law enforcement).

Do you understand the point he was trying to make? Driving accidents don't happen, negligence happens. From my experience with driving "accidents" that tends to be the truth. It is usually the negligence of one party that leads to the "accident."

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I got chills reading this. All this hype on the internet about this being destroyed has SOME merit. I honestly believe we still have hope. I am very happy for these laws and very excited.

God Bless The United States of America.
edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

THANK YOU!!! I thought what he said sounded awfully strange!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I recently heard about the Utah concealed carry permit and that it's good for other states. Mine is one of them. I'm seriously thinking of getting one.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join