It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conceal and Carry Laws Effective Dec 1, 2011 Good News!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
So... yesterday I took the plunge and completed my Conceal Carry Handgun training course and there are many new laws that have just went into effect.

Effective December 1, 2011, North Carolina automatically recognizes concealed carry permits issued in any other state.

Permits Honored in Other States Permit holders should know that while they can legally carry a concealed handgun while visiting these states, they’re subject to that state’s laws state and are responsible for learning about those laws. States with North Carolina Agreements Alabama Kentucky Oklahoma Alaska Louisiana Pennsylvania Arizona Michigan South Carolina Arkansas Mississippi South Dakota Colorado Missouri Tennessee Delaware Montana Texas Florida Nebraska Utah Georgia Nevada Virginia Idaho New Hampshire (resident permits only) Washington Indiana New Mexico West Virginia Iowa North Dakota Wisconsin Kansas Ohio Wyoming

www.concealedhandguncarry.com...
www.ncdoj.com...

This here is awesome.

LEGAL ISSUES RELATING TO CONCEALED CARRY HANDGUN G.S. 14-51.1 – Intruder Law has been repealed effective December 1, 2011. Information regarding this law also previously referred to as the “Castle Doctrine” is discussed in the current training videos. That information will be incorrect effective December 1, 2011. G.S. 14-51.2 – Home, workplace and motor vehicle protection; presumption of fear of death or, serious bodily harm. [Enacted into law effective December 1, 2011].

Another addition is that family members can no longer bring civil suits if a case follows the Common Laws:

G.S. 14-51.3 - Use of force in defense of person: relief of criminal and civil liability.

You may now also carry concealed while visiting State and Federal Parks and Waterways

c1) Any person who has a concealed handgun permit may carry a concealed handgun on the grounds or waters of a park within the State Parks System as defined in G.S. 113-44.9. (c2) It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in the person’s body any alcohol or in the person’s blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in the person’s blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts or if the person is on the person’s own property. (c3) As provided in G.S. 14-269.4(5), it shall be lawful for a person to carry any firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit at any State-owned rest area, at any State–owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing reservation. 5 G.S. 14-415.23 - Statewide Uniformity.

This is a huge victory for the 2nd Amendment! I was told that this law was snuck into the Credit Protection Act that was recently passed..lol

Those are the Biggies.
Also, It is no longer required that you MUST retreat if feeling threatened. AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE BASIC COMMON LAWS YOU MAY DEFEND YOURSELF!!

I'm so excited! What a huge win!
I was in the first class after the changes and the instructor seemed pretty excited......NO more videos either, the early 90s flick was trashed...

Another interesting fact in NC, there are about 8 million people and less than 100,000 who carry concealed..
I wonder if the new laws will encourage more hunters and alike to apply.....

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
This is definatly a win.

Though, what bothers me is this: How many young, immature adults will go out and get a permit for the WRONG reasons.

The good should not suffer for the bad, as every single american has the right. What scares me is the ignorant american that thinks.. "Wow, I can carry a gun anywhere now! I'm going to get a permit" and a week later, Johny is cuffed and placed in the back seat of a squad car because he brought his 357 into a club, got a lil tostey and wipped it out on some guy that was flirting with Johny's girlfriend... Words went to blows, Johny was getting butt hammered so he wips out his trusty 357 and points it at the guy. The guy starts screaming at Johny... "What, you gonna shoot me??? Do it punk! You puss! You aint got the guts!...." BLOOOOOOOOW!

9 inches of flame comes out the front of Johny's handgun... The mouthy touchy feely guy fly's back and slams into the ground... motionless.. lifeless...

Then.. There is Jimmy who wants to show his new gun and permit to his friends... Gets a lil cocky, shows off, and accedently shoots his girlfriend in the head. She ends up in a hospital, in a vegitative state the rest of her days.

Sorry.. These are just things I see playing in my head when I hear about permits.

wait wait wait... I'm ALL FOR carrying a firearm ANYWHERE for protection, hunting, or whatever you damn well feel like.. What I am not for are idiots carrying the same. That scares the crap out of me. Look around at the common street thug today..

What color is he?
- All colors

What music does he listen to?
- All music

What hood is he from?
- Take your pick.. Not just hoods either. He could live in the burbs all the same.

What is his motivation?
- same as you and me, just misguided

What is his....
- wait.. it could be a she, just the same...

Imagine one day you're walking to your car and you see a few young adults, say about 21-23ish. One has a shoulder holster on, obviously giving the idea that he's carrying a handgun and has a permit. Standing around him are two of his friends flipping this gun over and over in their hands, laughing, pointing it at the sky, birds, cars, pretending to shoot at distant passerby's (by the way, simply brandishing a firearm to someone will land you in jail!! Dont do this!).... And you, just getting to your car, your 2 year old at your side, you fumble for your keys as you see this taking place meer feet from you....

What are you thinking? What are you worried about? Does your 2 year old come to mind? Does the idea that any of these guys are just a lil too immature to be playing with a handgun? There are inthralled over it, are they not? That tells me... Get in the car as soon as possible, call the police because one of these careless kids are going to put a hole of death into someone before too much longer and explain to them that you're not calling to report anything like a murder, you are just concern and would like an officer to speak with those young adults if available. Then I would get the hell out of there and warn people if I could.

Still I believe in our rights to carry and I will fight for it till my last breath, should anyone demand otherwise of me.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
This is definatly a win.

Though, what bothers me is this: How many young, immature adults will go out and get a permit for the WRONG reasons.

The good should not suffer for the bad, as every single american has the right. What scares me is the ignorant american that thinks.. "Wow, I can carry a gun anywhere now! I'm going to get a permit" and a week later, Johny is cuffed and placed in the back seat of a squad car because he brought his 357 into a club, got a lil tostey and wipped it out on some guy that was flirting with Johny's girlfriend... Words went to blows, Johny was getting butt hammered so he wips out his trusty 357 and points it at the guy. The guy starts screaming at Johny... "What, you gonna shoot me??? Do it punk! You puss! You aint got the guts!...." BLOOOOOOOOW!

9 inches of flame comes out the front of Johny's handgun... The mouthy touchy feely guy fly's back and slams into the ground... motionless.. lifeless...

Then.. There is Jimmy who wants to show his new gun and permit to his friends... Gets a lil cocky, shows off, and accedently shoots his girlfriend in the head. She ends up in a hospital, in a vegitative state the rest of her days.

Sorry.. These are just things I see playing in my head when I hear about permits.

wait wait wait... I'm ALL FOR carrying a firearm ANYWHERE for protection, hunting, or whatever you damn well feel like.. What I am not for are idiots carrying the same. That scares the crap out of me. Look around at the common street thug today..

What color is he?
- All colors

What music does he listen to?
- All music

What hood is he from?
- Take your pick.. Not just hoods either. He could live in the burbs all the same.

What is his motivation?
- same as you and me, just misguided

What is his....
- wait.. it could be a she, just the same...

Imagine one day you're walking to your car and you see a few young adults, say about 21-23ish. One has a shoulder holster on, obviously giving the idea that he's carrying a handgun and has a permit. Standing around him are two of his friends flipping this gun over and over in their hands, laughing, pointing it at the sky, birds, cars, pretending to shoot at distant passerby's (by the way, simply brandishing a firearm to someone will land you in jail!! Dont do this!).... And you, just getting to your car, your 2 year old at your side, you fumble for your keys as you see this taking place meer feet from you....

What are you thinking? What are you worried about? Does your 2 year old come to mind? Does the idea that any of these guys are just a lil too immature to be playing with a handgun? There are inthralled over it, are they not? That tells me... Get in the car as soon as possible, call the police because one of these careless kids are going to put a hole of death into someone before too much longer and explain to them that you're not calling to report anything like a murder, you are just concern and would like an officer to speak with those young adults if available. Then I would get the hell out of there and warn people if I could.

Still I believe in our rights to carry and I will fight for it till my last breath, should anyone demand otherwise of me.

WOW, it sounds like you have some anxiety about this.
Lets talk about this: To get your conceal and carry, there are many many hoops to jump through.

The classes for permits test you on your knowledge of all LAWS & SAFETY
Carrying concealed is a huge RESPONSIBILITY

If you are caught with a firearm in concealment while under the influence of Alcohol, your are immediately revoked!

IF YOU ARE THE INSTIGATOR: Common law does not apply, you shoot somebody and you go to jail for attempted murder or murder.

Carrying concealed is not a game and I am pretty sure those who obtain them are in their right minds for such situations.

My instructor yesterday stated that there has only been ONE INCIDENT this past few year with a concealer. IT WAS JUSTIFIABLE SELF DEFENSE. CASE CLOSED.

IF YOU USE EXCESSIVE FORCE: Your done for period....

IF A THUG wants to get a gun HE CAN! HE will carry it against the law. The law abiding citizens who get their permit to conceal and carry are the least of your worries.

Conceal and carry is not the same as just being able to buy a gun. Nearly any of the scenarios you wrote can occur by anyone who owns a gun....There is a difference. ANYONE CAN BUY A GUN, with exceptions, example those with a felony.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I see this as North Carolina's response to the existing threat of an out of control federal government. This bill speaks volumes coming from a "southern" state. We have a concealed carry permit in Arkansas but hwe can't openly carry i don't think. Firearms deter crime. A criminal with a firearm is going to be less likely to try and rob you if he knows bullets are going to be flying back at him. Having open carry is a good thing. Look up Guntown U.S.A. in Georgia, they recently celebrated 25 years without a robbery or shooting death due to everyone in the town being required to own a firearm.

There would be alot less criminals walking around because they'd be dead. They don't call pistols peacemakers for no reason, "Make your peace with God because youre about to meet him" was the slogan of the old west.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I wanted to add that my instructor was a Sheriff Deputy and statistics and information was all accurate. He was also a pretty big fan of the Glock LOL!!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

The intent is hopefully the instructor will see these sorts of individuals and will not grant them their license.

Tell you what, why don't you contact a local instructor and voice your fears to him/her. Then ask if you could come sit in on his class. Since you will not be seeking a license in return and was just wanting the education, if it were me I would not charge you. The information given out should be known to all.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

edit on 12/11/2011 by lonegurkha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Vivid imagination, no doubt fueled by Hollywood and uber-liberal depictions of people who carry or are pro-gun. The reality is far from the fantasy, however, as people who seek carry permits generally trend to the more "level headed" types. Also, the actions you describe are all illegal pretty much everywhere in the US, and that type of idiot behavior will most often get reported and acted upon.

Sounds like you got your head on straight though, I liked reading your post. Check out some of the defensive carry forums on the net, just browse around and read the posts.You'll quickly find the type of behavior you describe is also severely frowned upon from within the carry community as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Being in the firearms business for 25+ years I have had many discussions with both Pro and Anti factions of the firearms debate! What I'm finding is that the folks that have been raised to fear and loath firearms in their youth and who have taken the chance of actually learning the use of a firearm, for what ever reason, tend to see that the propaganda thrown around by those who think only certain individuals should have the right of self protection was always wrong.

The right (and it is a right) of the individual to protect him/herself and those around them who can't is the largest responsibility you can undertake. Not many will do so without the understanding of the responsibility involved!
The rouges and thugs that carry without regard of those around them need to know they can be stopped when they decide to cause harm to others. Concealed carry is that which puts the criminal on notice that they cannot easily harm another!

Zindo

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Typically, people who qualify for and complete all the steps to get a CHL are upstanding citizens. There are very few cases of CHL holders being prosecuted for incidences of crime involving a gun here in Texas.

OP…when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina the law permitted legal gun owners to carry openly in their vehicles. Is this no longer the case? I used to drive around legally with my Glock on my dashboard (not on base of course
). It only became ‘illegal’ if you concealed it (concealed in your car or on your person). You weren’t required to have a permit to carry openly, so anyone could drive around locked and loaded. At least with a CHL the people carrying have been checked out and had a thorough criminal background check.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

WOW, it sounds like you have some anxiety about this.
Lets talk about this: To get your conceal and carry, there are many many hoops to jump through.

The classes for permits test you on your knowledge of all LAWS & SAFETY
Carrying concealed is a huge RESPONSIBILITY

If you are caught with a firearm in concealment while under the influence of Alcohol, your are immediately revoked!

IF YOU ARE THE INSTIGATOR: Common law does not apply, you shoot somebody and you go to jail for attempted murder or murder.

Carrying concealed is not a game and I am pretty sure those who obtain them are in their right minds for such situations.

My instructor yesterday stated that there has only been ONE INCIDENT this past few year with a concealer. IT WAS JUSTIFIABLE SELF DEFENSE. CASE CLOSED.

IF YOU USE EXCESSIVE FORCE: Your done for period....

IF A THUG wants to get a gun HE CAN! HE will carry it against the law. The law abiding citizens who get their permit to conceal and carry are the least of your worries.

Conceal and carry is not the same as just being able to buy a gun. Nearly any of the scenarios you wrote can occur by anyone who owns a gun....There is a difference. ANYONE CAN BUY A GUN, with exceptions, example those with a felony.

Actually, I think you missread me.

I have been in law enforcement for a handfull of years. I am also a gun owner. I've been raised around alot of gun active people all of my life. Gun control was taught to me int he form of a 4-10 shotgun when I was very very young, barely big enough to hold a short body 4-10. Living in the woods and bayou of SW Louisiana, hunting was part of our livelyhood.

So, basicly what I'm saying is, I have knowledge in two important areas here.

1- Law Enforcement trained me well in how a police officer is to conduct themselves.

2- Growing up around a huge family where a gun was just as common place as the waterwell in the back yard. (sorry, if you are from SW La, you would understand back in those days) In this, I've got to see alot of carelessness just as much as mistakes that caused injury (no deaths, thank goodness).

Ive got to see this stuff first hand... that's why I stay concerned about it.

I know there are lots of hoops to jump through. Same thing when you buy a handgun. Yet, handguns are still a major factor in fatal shootings today. Hoops do not determin wether or not a person is sane enough to use one.

That's kinda like saying "All 18 year olds are mature enough to drink... So are all 21 year olds... So are all 31 year olds". We obviously know this isnt the case.

Everyone who has the ability to buy a handgun has the same ability to get a permit.

Keep in mind.. Stupid isnt age specific. Stupid has nothing to do with book smarts. Common sense plays into this.

You know how many cops I've worked with that had zero common sense? More than 3. Guess what.. They're still cops and they still carry. I seen one of these guys (wait, only 2 are alive) litterly taze the hell out of himself while we were standing there watching him. Hand in the pocket.. TAZE

Trust me.. I laughed my butt off, so did everyone else in that office. This guy was a 30 year vet, a constable.. and has had his firearm go off 2x prior to. He also had a carry permit. I bought my 357 from him. All around great guy, god rest his soul.. But, does that mean I trust standing next to him with a gun in hand? Hell no! And he was a fellow officer!

That is all I'm saying. It was no poke at your post, it was to reinstate the possibilities and the caution that should come with it. I plainly stated I was all about permits. To be honest, Im all about permitless carry. Wether one way or the other, accidents and stupidity happens.

btw, you know how many "trainers" will tell you BS in class? I had one guy tell me that accidents DONT happen. He was my defensive driving teacher (while in law enforcement). Tell that to the common person and see that they say. I seriously doubt that in the history of owning permits in the US, only one took place... This I hardly believe. You know how many car/airplane/gun deaths we have every year, yet not one concealed weapons permit problem? Impossible!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

WE ARE STILL AN OPEN CARRY STATE!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

The intent is hopefully the instructor will see these sorts of individuals and will not grant them their license.

Tell you what, why don't you contact a local instructor and voice your fears to him/her. Then ask if you could come sit in on his class. Since you will not be seeking a license in return and was just wanting the education, if it were me I would not charge you. The information given out should be known to all.

I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon and I do. Just not at work, since we fall under some serious stipulations with the patriot act. (Oilfield industry has become extreemly secure since 9/11 - Badges and all that)

Again.. Im voiceing not so far fetched scenarios because I know by being there, seeing it with my own eyes, of what can happen. I have.. I seen.. I carry..

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by tjack

Vivid imagination, no doubt fueled by Hollywood and uber-liberal depictions of people who carry or are pro-gun. The reality is far from the fantasy, however, as people who seek carry permits generally trend to the more "level headed" types. Also, the actions you describe are all illegal pretty much everywhere in the US, and that type of idiot behavior will most often get reported and acted upon.

Sounds like you got your head on straight though, I liked reading your post. Check out some of the defensive carry forums on the net, just browse around and read the posts.You'll quickly find the type of behavior you describe is also severely frowned upon from within the carry community as well.

Really? Are you serious?

So in retaliation... No imagination, no doubt from the inability to read a responce...

I'm confused.. Did you read my original responce? Seriously?
edit on 11-12-2011 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
We will always have the foolish among us in all walks of life! Common sense is sometimes a rare as hens teeth but we still must not crush the rights of all because of the few and that is what has bred the 'Nanny Statism' we see today! There will always be those in power who think that control of all aspects of life will quell all the problems inherent in living our lives. What it really means that they are so scared of everybody else the believe they should control them to be safe. Utter ignorance and stupidity!

Zindo

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Just curious, because I really feel that there is alot of ignorance on this thread already based on my responce.

Is your responce based off of mine? I get the feeling that you guys are labeling me as what you just described.

If you are... Then defy your own ignorance.

My possition on this topic is...

Conceal and Carry laws - Great news! ---- JUST BE FRIGGIN SAFE.

Since that very first responce, all of you guys come at me as though I was trying to penalise or argue or complain against you.

So if I have any issues on this forum, it's simply that SOME OF YOU IDIOTS DONT FRIGGIN READ THE WORDS IN FRONT OF YOU! No in between the lines damnit!

If I get one more private responce telling me that I'm trying to knock the system, I'm going to give up on ATS and the ignorance here. I really do wonder if people actually read here, or if they pick 1 or 2 words and assume it's meaning and start instantly bashing people for BULL# reasons...

I simply dont understand how you guys take so much out of context when it's plain as light!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Your explanation makes much more sense

I think other post came off as somebody with a lot of fear and anxiety, who had not been around weapons before...
But all is good
Your second post explained it so that I could read through the words of your first post and understand what you meant.

As far as the incident the instructor was talking about in the last year there was one incident with a conceal and carry, meaning 1 death caused from a carrier.... He was an officer himself. Do I believe him? As far as that yes, but Im not ignorant either, I know there are tons of accidents with guns in general.

Safety is the key for sure! Yes there are many people who may not have good enough sense to own or use one, but yes you are right, it is their right as an American Citizen.

Im still laughing after you wrote about a co-worker taz'n himself....

I

edit on 11-12-2011 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

Best place for gun control to come from is your parents. I believe this with every bit of fiber in my body. No one more than they will care for your life and will forshadow just for the sake of trying to figure out every cituation you'll come in contact with just to see you remain alive and safe. This is why parents are the best teachers.

Poor Bubba (Nickname). He was something else. He died a hand full of years back. He was up there in age, not very healthy. Heavy smoker and heavy person.

But... This guy was pure comic relief. I wish I could be standing in front of you when I told that story. I do it no justice in type! lol

Especially when he went from a casual stance, leaning up against a chair.. to total blankness... Slight vibration as though he was having a minor seazure standing up... a lil drool then suddenly arms and hands going out as though he was about to hit the ground. I think thats when we realised what was happening and caught him. Though, and I feel slightly ashamed, we laughed at him a good 10 seconds before my partner came out with a half chuckle, half serious... "Matt, are you alright? lol". Then when we found out what happened, we laughed harder.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
I was told that this law was snuck into the Credit Protection Act that was recently passed..lol
I'm so excited! What a huge win!

I see. Would you have been so excited if the democrats used some sort of bill like this to ram through universal medical care?

Listen, I agree with the gun laws that were passed. However, this type of illegal (IMO, of course) legislation and posturing is the exact type of thing I hate, and nothing to be celebrated.

What do gun rights have to do with my credit?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Hell no Amigo, I was actually agreeing with you! I deal with people with no common sense everyday as you do. Not picking on you one bit!

Zindo

top topics

<<   2 >>

join