It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Last Flight and then F-14s Heading to Aircraft Graveyard

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
ONBOARD USS JOHN C. STENNIS, Sasebo, Japan � The U.S. Navy�s meanest, fastest and most agile fighter jet, nearing retirement, is deployed in the western Pacific Ocean for the last time.

The Grumman F-14, which entered military service in 1972, also is a movie star. At least for aviation aficionados, it upstaged actors including Tom Cruise in the film �Top Gun.�

Pilots flying the F-14s are from Fighter Squadron Three One, or VF-31, from Virginia Beach, Va. The VF-31 Tomcatters, also known as the �Felix the Cat� squadron, now are embarked on the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis.

The ship and squadron already have taken part in Summer Pulse �04 and Rim of the Pacific �04. They left Sasebo Wednesday for PASEX, an upcoming communications exercise with other nations in the region, said Stennis spokesman Lt. Corey Barker. After this summer, the Tomcatters are to deploy once more from the U.S. East Coast, then head to the great aircraft retirement home in the desert, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, Ariz.

Cmdr. Aaron Cudnohufsky, squadron commanding officer, said the Tomcat rightfully has become an American legend � and not just because of the film.

The Navy has moved to the F/A-18 Super Hornet, more a multipurpose jet praised for its versatility, rather than the F-14�s pure speed and maneuverability in a dogfight.

[from Military.com] the link was enourmous to post here, and I don't completely understand how to shorten it...

the F-14 is my favorite figther... yes of course because of Top Gun.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
It's a sad day....

The Tomcat was a straight up stunnr, and her capabilitie will be missed greatly....

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
her capabilitie will be missed greatly....

why? there are a lot of better planes
Just look at F-16
or JSF

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
F-16, first off is not a better plane, and it is ment for a completely different role. The F-16 is a light strike aircraft, the Tomcat a heavy interceptor.

Besides, the Navy doesn't even use F-16's - it's an Airforce plane.

The JSF, likewise, is a single engined light/medium strike airraft. Again, it can not use the pheonix missle system - it is ment ainly as a ground attack aircraft.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Are you doing it on purpose? No,really, naming two such radically different types of fighter to the F-14 like that. Because remarks like that are either a wind up or show very little basic knowledge of military aircraft.

Err, not you AMM

[edit on 7-9-2004 by waynos]

E_T

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here's link:
Military.com: F-14 heading to graveyard

And I would sure as hell prefer two engine aircraft for carrier use. (or for anything happening over sea)

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I thought the Navy variant of the JSF was to be able to handle all required armaments? I've heard discussion on the JSF replacing the F14 before. It is a shame because it's a beautiful plane.

To that end, here are some pics I have, from various sources. It's easier nowadays to download a copy, given how often sites change or students leave college (and their free student accounts are deleted).

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
has everone seen photos of the air plane grave yard? Its very cool .

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Yes, very sad and very neat:

www.virtualtucsonmagazine.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
are civilians allowed to buy an f14 without weapons and such? cuz id like one only if it costs...like...cheap

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
i always see the f-14s when im in VA Beach there great tiowatch. so the super hornet is replacing them correct?if you can buy them i would i know a guy with an F-4.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
are civilians allowed to buy an f14 without weapons and such? cuz id like one only if it costs...like...cheap

The plane may come relatively cheap but then you need a mechanic, parts, fuel, an FAA license to fly it, etc..

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The F-14A Tomcat is the greatest fighter ever built. Hands-down.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
your allowed to fly fighters? rofl.....i just wanted it in my backyard and play around with the ejection seat once in a while

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster000
your allowed to fly fighters? rofl.....i just wanted it in my backyard and play around with the ejection seat once in a while

You can by Migs F-4s etc and a few other older fighters.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yes, it is sad for the F-14 to go
, the F-14D is my favorite jet fighter, but unfortunatley its time has come. I will also truly miss the AIM-54C Phoenix, but the Navy will be getting the AIM-120D (the USAF will too), which won't have the range of the Phoenix (184km compared to 100km), but I think it will be more than enough for defending the fleet.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oh that graveyard is sad.

I would be really interested in getting an F-14, if I had the money I would definately purchase one.

in teh way of FAA licences, how would they translate to over is Australia?

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
A historic aircraft, fantastic looking, reasonable performer only when it was half way through its lifespan when it finally got a moderaly reliable and powerful engine. One thing that won't be missed is the 50-70 maintenance man hours per flight hour. That's not good for a warplane.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
That is a good point. It was by far the most expensive and tedious fighters to maintain in the US arsenal.

Still though, unless the navy is going to get some kind of Raptor clone (and it won't) I think this plane could see aother decade of service. To bad it won't.

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
That is a good point. It was by far the most expensive and tedious fighters to maintain in the US arsenal.

Still though, unless the navy is going to get some kind of Raptor clone (and it won't) I think this plane could see aother decade of service. To bad it won't.

Tell that to the guys in the ANG who have to keep F-15A/B's in service still. The F-15C's record isn't much better.

It would be too expensive to keep the plane in service any longer. Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome aircraft. Parts have become difficult to acquire since they shut down the manufacturing systems for them. The American public would balk at the costs to reopen them.

Sad to say that her day has come and gone. She will be missed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join