It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What on Earth is going on here? Look at all these quakes!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Go here: quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

This is very interesting, as I have been watching this since the summer when I felt my first EQ last summer in NJ.

Is this at all normal? I've been noticing more frequent bigger quakes all over the world. Can I get an expert in here to look at this?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

If you think that map is scary, check out this one.

USGS

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
All is very normal at the moment.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

If you think yours is bad, check the link provided by Corruption Exposed above, then if you think thats bad check this one: www.iris.edu...

Actually this is what it looks lie all the time.
edit on 10-12-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
We have not had a quake over a mag 6 in ages. Globally. (Well, in geologic terms going several weeks without one over a 6 is unusual.)

And 179 quakes on the USGS world earthquake map is a rather low number.

My only concern is that it HAS been so long since there has been a 6+ which means pressure must be building up somewhere.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
You made me jump straight to the Seismic Monitor to check - it's all normal at the moment

You should spend some time in New Zealand

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Food for thought, find fracking maps and compare if possible. Some of these earthquakes may be fracking quakes and not natural.
This site let you search different states.
Interesting map of Areas Fracking

Texas and Fracking

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It's Elenin, of course. Try to keep up.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Been saying this for months.....and there was a 5.8 in japan not just a few moments ago.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This is a decent one, 6.8 in Mexico

Sunday December 11 2011, 01:47:26 UTC 14 minutes ago Guerrero, Mexico 6.8

Sunday December 11 2011, 01:22:44 UTC 38 minutes ago Ryukyu Islands, Japan 5.8

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Pfffttt, and it doesn't even show the 7,680 aftershocks we've had here since the 7.1 last September!!

Globally, and with the exception of Japan, it's been a pretty average year, been watching quakes for over 10 yrs.

The more you watch the more you become 'used' to what occurs... keep watching and soon you too can spout "it's normal" on every "OMG there's a quake" thread

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yeah check again... Mexico just had a 6.8 as well as Japan (5.8) 16 minutes ago.
edit on 10-12-2011 by porschedrifter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
Yeah check again... Mexico just had a 6.8 as well as Japan 16 minutes ago.

That's a good bit of energy released in that area.
Btw, your avatar is intense. I watched it five times, hahaha.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Even for what (little) time I have been watching the maps, I am starting to see that they do happen every day, but the past week or so, there has been a lot of 4.5+ going on all around, is that normal as well?

So, what mag should I actually take notice to then while watching these maps?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by porschedrifter
Even for what (little) time I have been watching the maps, I am starting to see that they do happen every day, but the past week or so, there has been a lot of 4.5+ going on all around, is that normal as well?

So, what mag should I actually take notice to then while watching these maps?

It is normal. You'll notice a net of the same areas, from Alaska to Honshu, to Thailand, to Indonesia to NZ in some cases, eastern Russia, parts of China. All around the ring of fire, and on many ridges and rises 4-5.5 is common. If you watch USGS/EMSC daily you'll get a grip of how things go. I've been watching since Japan got hit and the same trends were existent for months, where as each month a few new trends I didn't get to see in the past started making way. Not to mention aftershocks that stick around for months - years.

I usually just take interest in unusual areas for quakes like the Southern states, Canada in general, parts of the UK and surrounding areas. Also, keep an eye on the depth of things and notice what each new 3-6 mag brings to the table in areas that seem to be spiking unusually so. Earthquake 3D gives you a good representation of where the spikes are taking place, like for instance, you'll usually see a plethora of smaller quakes in the Peurto Rico area from the Haiti quake and it wouldn't be a day without Alaska and California experiencing a bit of lesser rumbling. Normality is hard to find but trends do exist to some degree.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Maybe it's La Bella Luna !
(said with an Italian accent of course)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nydsdan

Figures. Only a couple hours after I make mention that there has not been a quake over mag 6, boom we get one in Mexico. Right off of the Cocos subduction zone which runs along side of the Caribbean plate.

Well, that is some pressure relief that I was hoping for. To be honest, the many 5's along the ring of fire is a good thing too. Pop off enough 5's, and maybe we won't get a 7 or 8 or...

One can hope. To be honest, seeing so much activity along the ring of fire these past years (NZ, Chile, Japan) make me really fear for Baja/Cali... I still think that may be a ways off, and the current activity still looks normal to me.
edit on 10-12-2011 by nydsdan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Mag 5+ are about all that are worth bothering with IMHO, that and unusual quakes in unusual areas such as Virginia / Oklahoma etc. even if of smaller magnitude.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

6.6 hit Siberia 5 hours ago

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Earth has been around for billions of years (or a few thousand if you are Christian), man has recorded quakes for a couple of hundred years. For one, it's only since the dawn of the internet, and newspaper reports, that we hear of quakes, we cannot say what is normal and what is not.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join