White Sour Dough Bread Bowls in Minutes...Just Add Chili!

page: 1
9

log in

join

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
So yesterday I posted a thread of my new experiment with Sour Dough Starter. Worked well as you can see by the pics. This was a 60% whole wheat:

Here: www.abovetopsecret.com...


I mentioned that I was in the middle of trying a faster way to do a white sour dough bread and here are the results:


I mixed my favorite white bread recipe and did not let it rise at all. Just sectioned it balled it up, put an indent in the middle for 1 tbsp of starter and kneaded it together again. Balled it up (seams on the bottom) and put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and then turned it to 350 for 45 minutes. Sweet!

Crunchy, dense but not heavy and a little sour as my starter is not fully mature yet. But it works!

Remember to have a cake pan or something similar in the bottom of the oven while it's heating up. When you are ready for the first 10 minutes, put the loaves in, throw 1/2 cup of water in the pan to get a steam going and shut the door.

That's it!

When we cracked open the first one and spread some garlic butter on it, I almost peed myself it was so damn good...

Although I do like the whole wheat, I am sold on the white. Easier to work with, less dense and really allows the sour to come through.

As you see, the proof is in the pan...Bad joke I know.

Remember, once you have a starter, you have bread for life. The starter will last forever if treated and fed right.

Want to do it without yeast?

www.exploratorium.edu...

Care and feeding of your starter monster:

www.sourdoughhome.com...

1. Sourdough starter at room temperature must be fed no less than twice a day. If you feed it less than twice a day, it will lose vitality and eventually become useless and die.
2. Each feeding of the starter should be enough to double its size.
3. Each feeding should be equal amounts of water and flour, by weight. You can use about 2 parts of water to 3 parts of flour by volume as an approximation.

A refresher on the starter that I use:

Ingredients

* 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
* 2 cups warm water
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 Tbsp Honey or Molasses

1. In large non-metallic bowl, mix together dry yeast, 2 cups warm water, and 2 cups all purpose flour and cover loosely.
2. Leave in a warm place to ferment, 4 to 8 days. Depending on temperature and humidity of kitchen, times may vary. Place on cookie sheet in case of overflow. Check on occasionally.
3. When mixture is bubbly and has a pleasant sour smell, it is ready to use. If mixture has a pink, orange, or any other strange color tinge to it, THROW IT OUT! and start over. Keep it in the refrigerator, covered until ready to bake.
4. When you use starter to bake, always replace with equal amounts of a flour and water mixture with a pinch of sugar. So, if you remove 1 cup starter, replace with 1 cup water and 1 cup flour. Mix well and leave out on the counter until bubbly again, then refrigerate. If a clear to light brown liquid has accumulated on top, don't worry, this is an alcohol base liquid that occurs with fermentation. Just stir this back into the starter, the alcohol bakes off and that wonderful sourdough flavor remains! Sourdough starters improve with age, they used to be passed down generation to generation!

Enjoy!
BTW, I'm selling these in my store and calling them "Sour Balls!"



Peace and good luck to the bakers!



edit on 10-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)




posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Good job!

looks wonderful..

I'm glad you didn't pee yourself...


Mblah should be here soon..

Make a chili bowl out of those...

love a good chili bowl from bread!



posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
Good job!

looks wonderful..

I'm glad you didn't pee yourself...


Mblah should be here soon..

Make a chili bowl out of those...

love a good chili bowl from bread!


And that's exactly how I will be selling these. We live in a ski area and chili is a staple.

Peace



posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
well then..

I wanna see one with chili in it then..

you owe me now..

I made you change your title...



posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
well then..

I wanna see one with chili in it then..

you owe me now..

I made you change your title...


Yes you did!

I thought the "Ball" thing wasn't a compliment to great bread!


I don't have any chili right now but will do as soon as possible.

Peace



posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove


Mblah should be here soon..


You called


I saw sour dough and chili and was like MMMMM!

I love bread bowls, my mind is racing with what I can put inside! Ohhhh stroganoff would be good. I literally ate stroganoff every day this week, however the last bowl was devoured less than an hour ago


I was just telling my bf how I wanted to make the other recipe Jude posted with the black olives and peppers well this will have to be added to the menu as well!



posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by baddmove


Mblah should be here soon..


You called


I saw sour dough and chili and was like MMMMM!

I love bread bowls, my mind is racing with what I can put inside! Ohhhh stroganoff would be good. I literally ate stroganoff every day this week, however the last bowl was devoured less than an hour ago


I was just telling my bf how I wanted to make the other recipe Jude posted with the black olives and peppers well this will have to be added to the menu as well!



I find this easier to work with because of the white flour. Just add the olives and peppers to this and it will do well.

Remember: Drain the olives and peppers and damp with paper towel. That extra moisture will make all kinds of hell in the base.

Also, I like to add butt loads of garlic to mine. I roast whole cloves with oil and seasoning salt to the point of being caramelized. Then...in da bowl they goes...Whole!

Good Luck!



posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
You sure know how to make a person hungry! Yet another of your threads I've subscribed to so I can study and then attempt to emulate what looks like bread fit for a king.

S&F



posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem
You sure know how to make a person hungry! Yet another of your threads I've subscribed to so I can study and then attempt to emulate what looks like bread fit for a king.

S&F


Thank you for the kind words.

These are experiments that are working well for me. My all time favorite is a sweet potato bread that makes your momma wanna cry...


Parents love it because kids devour it and it has no sugar, milk or eggs so it's actually a healthy choice. It's a sweeter bread because of the sugars in the sweet potato as well.

I'll post a pic maybe later tonight as I have a dozen loaves that just went into the oven.

Peace



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Love all your recipes ,tried a lot ,all good.
Can we have your sweet potato recipe ...........please ........



posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Excellent recipe. I enjoy baking bread and will give your's a go when I whip us some chili next week.



posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
This sounds soooo good, cant wait to try....

And i agree with the poster above me...can we get a look at that sweet potato bread recipe?!?!?!?

That sounds divine!!!



posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Tonight, I made the sourdough bread bowls, then added a Taco type dip....

Cut the top off of the bowls, hollowing out enough room for the dip to go into.

Save all of the bread you cut out and lightly toast it in the oven while you are heating up the dip....


Dip:

1 onion
1can olives
lb of taco meat (makes several bowls)
black olives
sour cream
guacamole
garlic
tomatoes
and whatever else you put on your tacos.... I add a LOT of cheese.

Blend these in a food processor and heat just until warm. Spoon into the bowls, sprinkle some cheese on the top, and NOM NOM!!!

I have made these bowls with clam chowder, chilli, broccoli chees soup, tomato soup, or anything that you like to dip bread in........... amazing results, and you can make each bowl to your own tastes.

The toasted bread makes a good "dipper" no matter what you decide to put inside the bowl....

Enjoy!!!!!



posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit1
Tonight, I made the sourdough bread bowls, then added a Taco type dip....

Cut the top off of the bowls, hollowing out enough room for the dip to go into.

Save all of the bread you cut out and lightly toast it in the oven while you are heating up the dip....


Dip:

1 onion
1can olives
lb of taco meat (makes several bowls)
black olives
sour cream
guacamole
garlic
tomatoes
and whatever else you put on your tacos.... I add a LOT of cheese.

Blend these in a food processor and heat just until warm. Spoon into the bowls, sprinkle some cheese on the top, and NOM NOM!!!

I have made these bowls with clam chowder, chilli, broccoli chees soup, tomato soup, or anything that you like to dip bread in........... amazing results, and you can make each bowl to your own tastes.

The toasted bread makes a good "dipper" no matter what you decide to put inside the bowl....

Enjoy!!!!!


Great addition!

Thank you





top topics
 
9

log in

join