It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN General Assembly Passes 9 Resolutions Against Israel

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+95 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm sure no one is surprised about this not getting any mainstream coverage. This deserves more attention in my opinion.

The UN General Assembly passed 9 resolutions on Friday to condemn Israel for its continued violation of human rights and building of Jewish settlements in the Palestinian and Syrian territories.

The resolutions were passed by the General Assembly after the recommendation of the Special Political and Decolonization Committee. Several of the resolutions were passed almost unanimously, with only Israel voting against them.

Among these were a resolution that called for an accelerated return of displaced persons who became refugees in 1967, and called on donor countries to assist the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA) in meeting the needs of the Palestinian refugees. This resolution was passed by a vote of 160 in favor to 1 opposed (Israel), with 9 abstentions.

Another resolution urged Israel to reimburse UNRWA for all transit charges incurred and other financial losses sustained as a result of delays and restrictions on movement and access, and to cease obstructing the movement and access of the staff, vehicles and supplies of the Agency. That resolution passed with a vote of 163 in favor to 7 against (Israel, Canada, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Nauru, Palau, the United States), with 2 abstentions (Cameroon, Vanuatu).

Of the other Israel-Palestine related resolutions passed by the United Nations General Assembly on Friday, five were part of the report from the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories, and related to Israel's practices and obligations as an Occupying Power under the Fourth Geneva Convention.

Source

The news article claims 9 resolutions were passed, but the UN website says 6.

General Assembly Adopts Six Resolutions, Concluding Debates on Question of Palestine, Wider Middle East Situation

Stressing that popular uprisings across the Middle East were demanding greater inclusiveness and democracy, General Assembly delegates called today for peace and justice — as well as “re-energized” efforts to resolve old regional conflicts — to reign across the region, as it adopted six related resolutions.

By six recorded votes, the Assembly adopted resolutions on both the “Question of Palestine” and on the wider “Situation in the Middle East”. The texts addressed issues including the illegal Israeli settlements in East Jerusalem, the work of the United Nations Division for Palestinian Rights and the stymied progress of the Syrian track of the Middle East peace process.

I'm not a big fan of the UN but even they admit that Israeli settlement expansions are ILLEGAL. Yes, the settlements are ILLEGAL. The UN said so in this report.
edit on 10-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
about time, I hope there are more resolutions being passed. it's a shame there is no more coverage of this, Israel will pay for her crimes. as well as the US.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
How dare they have the chutzpah to defy the God promised, state of Israel!

In before the cry of anti-semitism.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
these resolutions mean less than a slap on the wrist.
nothing ever comes of them and nothing will change.

+63 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Regrettably you're probably right. The previous resolutions never really did much and Israel will probably ignore these too. In fact they will probably bomb Gaza tonight in retaliation to these resolutions.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

the biggest problem is, the u.s. is about the most powerful entity involved in the u.n.
unless the u.s. gets behind these resolutions everyone just shuts up after they pass.
we could just blame israel, thet is the easy thing to do, or we can discuss the politics behind the power they hold.
as a jew, i think of israel as a bully, but look who's standing right behind them.
us, the u.s.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It sounds to me like the useless UN passed 9 (or 6) new useless resolutions that nobody cares about. I think the reason that nobody is reporting this is because they know it won't change anything. If the truth were to be told I doubt any of the major world powers look upon the UN as anything other than a nuisance that makes the smaller countries feel important.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
like everything else, he who pays the most has the most influence.

un cost page, u.s. pays 22% of overall.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Stressing that popular uprisings across the Middle East were demanding greater inclusiveness and democracy, General Assembly delegates called today for peace and justice — as well as “re-energized” efforts to resolve old regional conflicts — to reign across the region, as it adopted six related resolutions.

By six recorded votes, the Assembly adopted resolutions on both the “Question of Palestine” and on the wider “Situation in the Middle East”. The texts addressed issues including the illegal Israeli settlements in East Jerusalem, the work of the United Nations Division for Palestinian Rights and the stymied progress of the Syrian track of the Middle East peace process.

Buried in there are the "real" issues before the West: worry about the "Arab Revolt" and the "stymied progress of the Syrian track(?) of the Middle East peace process." Yep. All them Arabs yearning to be free. Scary for Israel and the west. Gotta stymie that freedom stuff. UN doublespeak. Paves the way for Syrian resolutions to depose their sovereignty and let Israel do what they will to the Palestinians.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

Aweee man!
We* are THESE jackasses! ===>

*US and Israel- who's who is debatable

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Hopefully this will wake some people up, although I doubt it. They will just say the UN is corrupt and that they are wrong. The fact that these resolutions were passed, although a little surprising, aren't that big of a deal. Enforcing them is an entirely different ball game. Until the US starts pressuring Israel for change, I do not hold out much hope.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Big deal Israel will just thumb their nose at these new resolutions like they always do. When what you are doing is condoned by God your allowed to do anything.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 06:25 AM
link   
**Reality Check**

The US and Israel still call the shots in the UN. So this "resolution" will just be brushed off the side as usual.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

And in what way is this a good thing?

After WWII, Germany has to pay some 4 billion annually to Israel, and the US is paying an equivalent amount to keep up this nation.

But, for human right violations on palistinians, Israel is to pay for their transit cost? And it also says, that basically all nations are called upon to aid in the transit of palistinians out of Israel ... that is basically what it is saying.

You guys need to learn to read ... Israel is basically voting against this to make it "look" good ... this is crap.

Why should "I" pay for palistinians here? First, we give home to these traitors (Jews), and then we have to take in those who they are throwing out?

Jesus Christ.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
How would you expect the nations who voted to establish Israel come and put some pressure on it. Unless they find out that they didn't have the right to give lands of Palestinian to other people. and unless they understand they have done a wrong thing.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

We need to learn how to read?

You said that one of the resolutions makes it so you have to pay to relocate Palestinians out of Israel, but if you actually knew how to read you would see that it mentions relocating displaced Palestinian refugees back to Palestine/Israel.

Among these were a resolution that called for an accelerated return of displaced persons who became refugees in 1967, and called on donor countries to assist the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian Refugees (UNRWA) in meeting the needs of the Palestinian refugees. This resolution was passed by a vote of 160 in favor to 1 opposed (Israel), with 9 abstentions.

Israel was opposed
I doubt you will end up paying for this out of your own pocket, and if you do, think of it as a good thing. For once your tax dollars would be used for good instead of bombing the imprisoned people of Gaza.

Here is a link, free of charge

Hooked on Phonics

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Hahahahahahaha thats bloody funny, as if the UN has any authority over Israel - which they do not!

What the UN gets up to is much much worse than anything Israel could ever possibly do.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I find it amusing that the UN, as corrupt an organization as exists in our world, has the big brass ones to condemn anyone for anything...

It'd be laughable, if it weren't so pathetic. The UN? Really?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
And how many resolution did the UN pass against Syria? .

Hmmm...thought so.

Next.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravitational
And how many resolution did the UN pass against Syria? .

Hmmm...thought so.

Next.

at least you're willing to admit that Israel is comparable to Syria at least in reference to it's human rights abuses.

There are various resolutions passed against Syria, some of them rightfully so in my opinion. I'm not denying the savagery coming out of Syria, are you denying the savagery coming out of Israel/Palestine?

I'm willing to admit certain things unlike you who stubbornly denies the truth in a constant attempt to disguise the current reality that most of us perceive.
edit on 11-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join