It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN climate talks break down over how quickly to fight global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Ministers battle to save UN climate talks

Here we go again with global warming!

When will the world finally agree if or not it's happening. Sure climate change is happening but global warming is just another way to tax the people.

DURBAN -- Ministers fought to save U.N. climate talks from collapse on Saturday, searching to narrow differences between rich and poor nations over how quickly to fight global warming.

Ministerial negotiations in the South African port city of Durban dragged into Saturday afternoon but with many delegates due to head home, there was a strong chance real decisions would be put off until next year.

That would be a major setback for host South Africa and raise the prospect that the Kyoto Protocol, the only global pact that enforces carbon cuts, could expire at the end of next year with no successor treaty in place.

Behind the haggling over technical details, the talks boil down to a tussle between the United States, which wants all polluters to be held to the same legal standard on emissions cuts, and China and India which want to ensure their fast growing economies are not shackled.

"We are just right now discussing how to increase ambition, not only in the long-term but also in the short term," said EU Climate Commissioner Connie Hedegaard.

worldnews.msnbc.msn.com...

I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of a global tax for carbon emissions, for a non-occcuring issue. Climate change is what's happening and no one or anything won't stop it!

Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Climate change is what's happening and no one or anything won't stop it!

You got my vote

Let me be the first to flag you.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Sure climate change is happening but global warming is just another way to tax the people.

Im sorry, which school did you go to to study climatology?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think we're already buggered and they know it.

It wont happen suddenly tomorrow or next year

But over the next 200-300 years Earth will be a waste land

Hence there has been alot of emphasis on water being found in our solar system

Other planets being discovered in habitable zones

The 100 year starship project and so on

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Global warming is irrelivant.
People will never stop arguing because we have been tricked into arguing about it, do you really think that they would have made it such a big topic if they didnt have a plan. No, its simply twisting the problem and making people forget the big picture.
It really doesnt matter if using fossil fuels is causing global warming, we should not be using them regardless. This is an industry which is controlled by monopoly, so it is dangerous to depend on it because they esentially control you.
It does damage the environment in many ways that we know about. It kills animals and kills many humans too, it also causes disease.
There are so many other things wrong with it but I am sure you would probably know, although your still aruging about global warming.
Stop being a shill guys, dont you think its a bit convinent for the oil kings that for the last 10 years we have been arguing tit for tat over global warming and not questioning their activity instead.

The UN is just another shill and obviously they arent going to solve the problem because the problem is paying for the UN, yes the oil corporations.
Only when the last tree has died, last fish been caught and last water been poisoned. Will we realise that we cannot eat money.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
THATS BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING TO TALK ABOUT,THE CLIMATE HAS BEEN CHANGING FOR 4 BILLION YEARS AND WILL CONTINUE TO CHANGE FOR THE NEXT 4 BILLION, NOTHING WE DO OR SAY WILL CHANGE ANY THING, ALSO WITHOUT CO2 LIFE WOULD END AND WE WOULD HAVE TO LIVE UNDER BIO DOMES AND GUESS WHO WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT. JUST MOVE TO A NEW CLEAN ENERGY AND ALL OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED AND I MEAN ALL OF THEM, WAR, ECONEMY,POVERTY EVERYTHING THINK ABOUT IT
IT WOULD BE THE FIRST DOMINOE TO FREEDOM FOR THE PEOPLE, ITS THE ONLY WAY TO KILL THE MACHINE!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I don't know about anyone else but I'm tired of a global tax for carbon emissions,

How can you be tired of something that doesn't exist?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
reply to post by weirdguy

But over the next 200-300 years Earth will be a waste land

Im sorry, but where did you receive your precognitive abilities?

I received my precognitive abilities through reading reports from Australian and American
environmental scientists

from last year, 12th May 2010

Australian scientists have warned half the planet could "simply become too hot" for human habitation by the year 2300.

The research, produced in partnership with the Purdue University in the United States, is published in the US-based scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) on Tuesday.

"But climate change will not stop in 2100, and under realistic scenarios out to 2300, we may be faced with temperature increases of 12 degrees or even more."

www.weatherwatch.co.nz

Some regions would start to become too hot and humid for human habitation with a global temperature rise of 7 °C, the paper says. With a rise of 11 °C or more, most of the human population as currently distributed would either have to move or rely on air conditioning to avoid dying of heat stress

and,

How likely are we to reach such a point? Well, under business-as-usual scenarios the current prediction is for a 4 °C to 7 °C increase by 2100. In other words, in the worst-case scenario if we carry on as we are, some of our children might just live to see small parts of the world start to become too hot for human habitation.

www.newscientist.com

I hope this information helps you

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The UN climate talks are worthless, participants fly to luxury hotels, from Cancun to Durban, and next year to Rio, but to do the opposite of what should be.
The ladies and gentlemen want to discuss about the CO2 emissions in luxury ... a nice vacation.

They will never reach a consensus, as long as the reason why they come together is a lie.
Man is responsible for only 1% of CO2 emissions.

Why only talk about CO2..
There is also:
The massive deforestation of rain forests, whaling, the chemical pollution of heavy industry, the discharge of heavy radioactive waste in the oceans .....................
Even birth control would be an interesting topic in my opinion!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sunlight
The UN climate talks are worthless, participants fly to luxury hotels, from Cancun to Durban, and next year to Rio, but to do the opposite of what should be.
The ladies and gentlemen want to discuss about the CO2 emissions in luxury ... a nice vacation.

They will never reach a consensus, as long as the reason why they come together is a lie.
Man is responsible for only 1% of CO2 emissions.

There is also:
The massive deforestation of rain forests, whaling, the chemical pollution of heavy industry, the discharge of heavy radioactive waste in the oceans .....................

I agree, and have you noticed there is little if any talk of the ozone layer

It's still there fellas!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

The ozone hole is still their. And it's not going to go away any time soon. However, the rate of ozone depletion has been effectively stopped so the issue probably isn't going to get any worse than it already is.

There is also:

Global warming, like the ozone hole was, is a global issue, whereas some of the ones you mentioned are far less severe or are highly localized. Whaling is not a huge issue compared to global warming. Most non-climate related pollutants from heavy industry, while very important are far more localized. Deforestation does effect the climate, but the non-climate impacts are isolated to Brazil.
edit on 11/12/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Here, I think you need to educate yourself mate

This is the journal from PNAS, you do know them dont you?

As a matter a fact I do. I have linked their content in a past thread. And last time I checked they weren't prophets. They never claimed to predict the future.

They were elaborating on a hypothetical scenario.

Despite the uncertainty in future climate-change impacts, it is often assumed that humans would be able to adapt to any possible warming. Here we argue that heat stress imposes a robust upper limit to such adaptation.

Notice the words "uncertainty" and "Possible". This is not set in stone. That's not to say we shouldn't take precautions, but to claim it will happen is wrong.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Yeah but the bad part is right over the Artic, and that's not good!!!

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I just do not get it...........

I can not fathom that people think that we are drastically changing our climate.................This just shows me that in the grand scheme(is that right) of things humans are nothing but a bunch of shallow minded, even though they got a PHD, thoughtless apes that thing we know it all...............I am talking human kind in general(so please calm down)........................

The planet is constantly changing............Our little 70 year old lifetime, written weather study, and forecasts go back how long?(modern times) human lifetime is nothing compared to geological time.............

So why does the earth have to be suddenly warming? I thought it has been warming from the last ice age..........It never stops,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is a process that keeps on going with or wihtout us........................

Interglacial optimumAn interglacial optimum, or climatic optimum of an interglacial, is the period within an interglacial that experienced the most 'favourable' climate that occurred during that interglacial, often during the middle part. The climatic optimum of an interglacial follows, and is followed by, phases that are within the same interglacial and that experienced a less favourable climate (but nevertheless a 'better' climate than during the preceding/succeeding glacials). During an interglacial optimum, sea levels rise to their highest values, but not necessarily exactly at the same time as the climatic optimum.

In the present interglacial, the Holocene, the climatic optimum occurred during the Subboreal (5 to 2.5 ka BP, which corresponds to 3000 BC-500 BC) and Atlanticum (9 to 5 ka, which corresponds to roughly 7000 BC-3000 BC). Our current climatic phase following this climatic optimum is still within the same interglacial (the Holocene). This warm period was followed by a gradual decline until about 2,000 years ago, with another warm period until the Little Ice Age (1250-1850).

The preceding interglacial optimum occurred during the Late Pleistocene Eemian Stage, 131–114 ka. During the Eemian the climatic optimum took place during pollen zone E4 in the type area (city of Amersfoort, Netherlands). Here this zone is characterized by the expansion of Quercus (Oak), Corylus (Hazel), Taxus, Ulmus (Elm), Fraxinus (Ash), Carpinus (Hornbeam), and Picea (Spruce). During the Eemian Stage sea level was about 8 meters higher than today and the water temperature of the North Sea was c. 2°C higher than at present.

en.wikipedia.org...

Now who"s to say that tomorrow we have a 10.0 earthquake that kickstarts some serious volcanism, globally(just a thought) We can not stop it............

I have a serious problem about "climate control' given to the radicals

I really want to go on and on,,,,,but I really have to go in a minute.
edit on 12-12-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

I came back by a few minutes later to kind of apologize for my rant

edit on 12-12-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join