It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey guys, excited to be here. I have some survival questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Hey ATS! I go by Mkoll, and I have been lurking here for the past few weeks and I have been convinced that we are nearing an economic collapse. And however much I want to believe that America would never do such a thing I think the potential for the formation of a police state is high.

Anyways, I am turning to you guys for help. In the time that my money still has value I want to stock up for my family (six adults perhaps as many as ten should SHTF) to survive on their own for a couple of months in the event of hyperinflation and economic collapse. Instead of brainstorming with my lazy ass brother who can never get his head out of EVE online I figured I should crowdsource to you guys
We live in a mostly rural midwest community with some farm equipment and our own little fuel supply, along with a healthy arsenal of hunting weaponry.

Basically my questions are:
1) How much and what type of foods should we acquire to feed 6-10 people for 1-2 months. And in addition what should i get for medical supplies, trade goods, and generally useful stuff?

2) What are some good books that I should acquire? With the current economic climate it is unknowable how much longer the internet will be functional so acquiring hard copies of very useful data is a good thing, I think.

3) Any ideas on how to live off the land and acquire food and water?

4) Other useful tips and tricks would be useful

Thank you in advance ATS community

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Welcome, this food analyzer should get you started.

beprepared.com...

And between ats and survivalblog.com... I think you'll find most things you'd want/need to know.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Whenshtf.com is a good site. Read lights out a ebook can download it for free, 1 Sec after and the road. All really good books about breaking down of society. How much food its a lot more then you think. i stock a gallon of water perday per person thats alot too. Things to think of when preparing is bugging in or leaving. You live in the city or out side of town these things will help with preparing. Just prepare for what you belive is going to happen and you should be fine whether your preparing for zombie uprising, nuclear, civil unrest or natural disaster.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hello and Welcome to ATS
check out the forums..lots to learn
Keep on Keeping on
Again Welcome

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

Hi , and welcome to the Introductions Forum of the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

General ATS Discussion Etiquette.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-ProfileBackgrounds

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

ATS Video Tutorials

Signature Guidelines

Terms & Conditions

Take some time to look around and orient yourself.

~Keeper
ATS Moderator

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

Welcome to ATS. Can't help you with survival tips but I'm sure there is plenty of info here and elsewhere like previous posters have mentioned. You'll laugh at my survival theory..
There is a supermarket nearby and a few bricks thrown strategically should give access to food for a few days at least. Provided I am one of the first there anyway (which I doubt!).

Good luck and see you around.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Hello and welcome! I will try to answer some of your questions, however the Survival section of the boards is a great reference point, so much to go through...

1) Since you have many to feed, you'd want to search for bulk items; Food; dried food(from beans, flake potato, lentils, soup mixes, powder broth, tea, etc) and canned meats, depending on how long you decide to stock up(figure out what to prepare for depending on your beliefs).
First aid kit, BOB(bug out bag) and a BOB for your pets as some first aid, etc will be different.

2) Good question, books that pertain to help with emergencies(first aid/home remedy Manuel/medical reference/herbal medicine books).

3) Take up hunting and fishing, learn how to effectively use the tools presented. Find out the wildlife and gather food(berries, plants, more) of the area, as well as with water sources, have a well. Know your area inside and out to keep protected.

4) Survival boards offer from; what tools to use to gardening tips.

Anyway, hope that helps, just wanted to welcome you!

new topics

top topics

join