It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Musicians with funny or unique facial expressions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Okay, I'm a rocker. Oldish rocker. I can still rock, but might have to sit down after a coupla hours if my hip is bothering me

So, every now and then, I wander through my musical roots in youtube. I like to keep up with what's going on musically, but a stroll to the old times (for me) is often humorous. ..............and I noticed last night that many of the older (60's and newer) videos I have been watching, one or more of the musicians seem to have facial expressions that stay with them as they age. Not so unusual to imagine that your "thing" -- whatever it is -- hangs with you like a comfortable shoe. Example? Robin Trower. Great guitar player, in my opinion. He still tours, you know, and while he no longer has the long brown hair, he still does the facial "whistle" and other expressions as here:

Carlos Santana..... possibly the KING, or at least one of them:

Billy Idol might seem a "gimme" as I used to think "the lip" was an affectation. I had occasion to observe him many years ago when he was with GenX, (Billy Broad at that time) and that was my view. Seeing an interview with him in 2008 convinced me that it might've started that way, but also might just be an integral part of him. [we won't 'forget about you' Billy].

Who is in your favorites list that entertains you with their expressions as well as their musical craft? Doesn't have to be a rocker, just wanna see those expressions. A quirk of mine (of many) I suppose

edit on 10/12/11 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Surprised you didn't mention Steven Tyler.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
jimi hendrix
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy, SRV, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, BB King, Albert King, Otis Rush, Albert Collins

Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I'd have to go with James Hetfield. He seems to allways have this look on his mug. LOL

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Steven Tyler certainly first came to my mind, as well as Mick Jagger.

In other genres, Louis Armstrong always had a facial expression that has become iconic while playing the cornet or trumpet.

This is the expression I am talking about:

edit on 10-12-2011 by tsawyer2 because: embedded image

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AxlJones
Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy, SRV, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, BB King, Albert King, Otis Rush, Albert Collins

Enjoy.

Otis Rush....great call on him...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Great call on James Hetfield too.

That actually looks like me the morning after a night drinking ale and eating Mexican food. :-)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
John Mayer.

2nd.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Jens Kidman of Meshuggah
edit on 10-12-2011 by MahmoudAhmadinejad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

Hendrix, good one! I really like that video...... I was 11 years old and only peripherally aware of Hendrix at that time.

reply to post by Manhater

Tyler, right! And guess who he reminds me of? Mick Jagger! Mus' be in da mout'.

reply to post by AxlJones

BB! I remember thinking that his wide-eyed look was something like Louis Armstrong, but then BB would go into the squinch-eyed, bared-teeth bridge. Keep 'em coming.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

Now here's a sorrowful thing. I had to look up James Hetfield. I KNEW he looked familiar. And I dare to call myself a rocker. Terrible thing.

reply to post by tsawyer2

Yep, and Yep! Satchmo/Pops. Man, he seemed like a man who inspired happiness, and is a definate contender in this thread.

reply to post by princessgrey

I'll have to take your word on John Mayer. My darlin' listens to him a lot. I know a couple of his tunes and like them. Haven't yet had the pleasure of seeing him in concert, but that reminds me of someone I have seen who qualifies........... Dave Matthews. That man twists and turns his face all kinna ways. Was an excellent concert too.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm a Canadian and I have to say David Wilcox has the best facial expressions I've ever seen !! Amazing artist ! Check YouTube I'm sure a few of his hits are on there ?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MahmoudAhmadinejad

Okay, ya got me. Almost like a rickroll. I actually went to youtube to search for brutal face, because I kinda fancied the riff was on the one you posted!!!
Color me geriatric

ETA: Okay, thanks for letting me know that was Meshuggah. I really like the guitar work. My hearing is crap (too much shooting, and really too many monitors pointing at me), so that kind of singing is irritating, but only because I can't hear what he's singing, however I appreciate the addition, because he DEFINATELY qualifies.

Good to see you Mr. President. Didn't know you were a rocker, but I should've guessed you'd like edgy metal.
Love the polyrhythms. Good stuff.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

THANK YOU!!!!! I don't know David Wilcox, but I like him already!! This man is the whole show, it looks like. Definately a contendah! Love his style; Playful, the man loves what he does.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

It's the Swedish band, Meshuggah, in which Jens Kidman plays. Sorry i don't know the song

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MahmoudAhmadinejad

added to my comment to you above. Thanks! I like it. I just got out my guitar this afternoon because a friend of mine wants to come by ..................... he has loaded his giant speakers into his van, with amplifier and other equipment and is a roving party. He called and said, "I got my stuff in the van. Get your guitar ready, I'm coming by your neighborhood. We're gonna need a heavy-duty power cord."

I can't wait.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My buddy just pulled up in his lil' Toyota Hiace. I think the wild chickens around this property are going to be VERY displeased in about ten minutes. He has an old tube amp, board and says he can put out near 1000 watts RMS.

Thanks everybody for your additions! Time now to ROCK the jungle. It just ain't g'wan be no fun for fowl around here.

OUT for now!

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

LOL how old are you? Metallica been around for about 27 years now. But maybe it was just not your type of rock?
Nice thread btw S&F

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

53, not quite as old as most dirt.
I know Metallica, just didn't know James Hatfield's name. it's sorta like -- Who is Adam Jones? * Who is Ray Davies?** Corey Taylor?*** you know -- THOSE guys. I once ran into Johnny Ramone at Whiskey-A-Go-Go in L.A., and we talked for a bit, nothing spectacular. Do you think I recognized him? How about when he told me his name? I wasn't even OLD then
A drink server asked me what we talked about and told me who he was. I LOVED the Ramones. No clue.

Some things don't get better with age, trust me.

* Tool guitarist
** vocals,guitar - Kinks
*** vocals - Slipknot

p.s. you're right. Metallica was never my favorite.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join