It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irony alert: U.S. calls on Russia to respect peaceful protests

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Irony is the subject of the thread and it definitely applies. Our police haven't only been guilty of pepper-spraying now have they? Blood has been drawn, beatings have taken place with batons and boots. It is not mellodramatic just because some people on here disagree with the movement. It is 100% ironic that the US government is condemning any other nation for police brutality against protesters.

Not only are US police forces being ordered to be heavy handed with protesters but we are living in a nation that recognizes dollars as free speech but not tents, a nation in which we are supposed to limit free speech to a 50x10 ft cage and a nation in which we have frozen zones where you cannot practice free speech at all.

The fact is that those same increasingly facist officials are limiting our Constitutional freedoms often by brute force are telling another sovereign nation they are wrong to do so. It's not only ironic, it's hypocritical...but let's ignore that and take every opportunity to bash Occupy.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by AnonymousFem

One would expect some sort of sympathetic message in their support against Police brutality [whether at the hands of the NYPD or Moscow Police etc] of any Protesters.

Now why is that?

Because for most of us it goes without saying.
Most sensible people recognize police brutality whether it's in the USA, the UK, Russia or anywhere else. We don't immediately separate the two.

And I agree that there seems to be a lot of agendas going on here. Most notably those who have been against protesters in the USA from the beginning still twisting this around and trying to pretend that their precious government couldn't possibly do anything remotely naughty!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
Most sensible people recognize police brutality whether it's in the USA, the UK, Russia or anywhere else. We don't immediately separate the two.

Nor do we hear any immediate outcry either.

And I agree that there seems to be a lot of agendas going on here. Most notably those who have been against protesters in the USA from the beginning still twisting this around and trying to pretend that their precious government couldn't possibly do anything remotely naughty!

Yet...

The fact remains. The OWS protectors were given several Months before there were any real significant crackdowns. In Russia it happened within only a few hours. Also and for the record [So you may stop trying to read between the lines] I supported the OWS Protesters right to demonstrate and be heard. I also agree with their general premise but I didn't care for "everything" they were saying.

I'm on the record here at ATS for stating both!

edit on 11-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Another example of how out of touch with reality the US government is. Clinton in China for further democracy while NDAA is being passed virtually declaring war on the American people. Clinton telling Russian to respect peaceful protests while DHS is coordinating 18 city crack down on protestors in the US. The list goes on and on. They seem to be so obsessed with their own agenda they are out of touch with the fact the whole world is watching. Their little propaganda MSM isn't working any more.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

My local Occupy protest was forcibly removed at 11pm the very day the protest started. This was because they "needed a permit" in order to gain the right to protest and peacefully assemble on public, tax-payer funded land. In essence, our right to assemble was only granted if it was mandated by the State. So I don't think "months" would apply in all situations across America and illustrates said hypocrisy.

I think the point that needs to be made is America claims to be the model of democracy and freedom throughout the civilized world, but we are asking other nations to remain nonviolent against their citizen protesters......while American police forces are cracking skulls and brutalizing their own citizens here at home.

So we can "nit-pick" the small details if you like, but the overall situation reeks of hypocrisy and irony.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I've been to several peaceful protests in the past. They were clean, respectful, and we got our message out.

Occupy, is not protest. Occupy, is...... um...... well, it's an occupy. It's a form of protest that doesn't so much want to convey a message but demand change on their terms, by their rules, by their definitions.

Apples and oranges, people.

hmmm.... i'm thinking about the peaceful protest that does not fall within the definition of a protest.

i guess the factions that protest Nativity Scenes funded by Municipalities is not a protest but a forceful demand of 'change' on their terms...rules...definitions

So with:
Morning After pills, Abortions and the present stress about the 'Plan B' pregnancy stopper for girls as younger than 16

So with the various manifestations of the subject 'Prayer At School', or even religious studies after school hours, or the favoritism shown Islamic, dress/rules/holy observances at these same public venues...

all these items are long enduring protests to one degree or another... they have become ingrained into our social structure and social consciousness... even to having their own TWEETS

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Get real people....

You know I've read all the claims of Hypocrisy in many replies here at ATS and elsewhere but...

What I haven't seen is the overwhelming "Out-Cry" over police brutality of Muscovites [And Others in Russia] by their police like there have been about US Police [After Months] of OWS Protests.

Remind me again, How many months were Muscovites allowed to protest and or occupy anything before their police moved in and forced the demonstrators to disperse?

Pepper Spray and rubber bullets vs Batons and jack boots.
Apples and Oranges here.

Hypocrisy and Irony Indeed!

Interesting parallel. It just so happens that I own a Russian baton. It's pretty hard rubber - molded over what appears to be a rifle barrel. On the other side of the coin, I've been sprayed with pepper spray as well (the highest concentration that cops can legally carry - 10% OC). In all honesty, I'd rather EAT a can of pepper spray than to get whacked with that Russian baton!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

No. The police brutality began in New York almost immediately. In fact, anywhere these inconvenient forms of protest popped up they were met with almost instant disproportionate force, when someone got seriously hurt we heard apologies and we saw cities get lax on police response to the point of protesters being turned away and told to deal with criminal behavior on their own and when the tactics of labeling them dirty or criminal laden failed we saw the "evictions" take place which consisted of 4am police raids and more excessive force by the police.

You'll have to forgive those of us who were there or supported or watched it unfold fold live for seeing the irony for what it is and sticking our tongues firmly in cheek as we think "Oh, really?".

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I bet there would have been more police brutality on the OWS side, if they actually tried to fight back when they were being evicted. If they got big enough, they probably would fight back.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Irony or hypocrisy?

The Russians have for decades manipulated public opinion, and covertly meddled in the affairs of nations, even instigated and orchestrated protests and revolts to achieve vague objectives.

In short, they can dish it out, but can't take it.

Whether that is Irony or not, is all a matter of perspective, and ultimately how conditioned your perspectives are.

The Russians are showing their true colors, and how they actually "respect" their own people, and their anger over such blatant and obvious fraudulent elections.... Don't get so lost that you miss the most important part of this show!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
No. The police brutality began in New York almost immediately. In fact, anywhere these inconvenient forms of protest popped up they were met with almost instant disproportionate force, when someone got seriously hurt we heard apologies and we saw cities get lax on police response to the point of protesters being turned away and told to deal with criminal behavior on their own and when the tactics of labeling them dirty or criminal laden failed we saw the "evictions" take place which consisted of 4am police raids and more excessive force by the police.

No offense but that has to be one of the most contradicting and convoluted attempt at clarification of ones point. So, we had Police brutality then Police apologies then the Protesters had to take matters into their own hands due to

Now check this out.

"Lack of Police activity"

What the hell?

Also, The criminal activity that caused the need for the protesters to fend for themselves due to lax Police assistance would not have been needed had the Protesters not been there. [Not saying they shouldn't have protested] Also many of the Perps were supposedly fellow protesters. [Unless of course they were also FBI or other such Alphabet agency stooges] which may be the prevailing opinion here at ATS.

Just keeping it real.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

superpowers always do it.Anyways the communists won the Duma elections actually.The presidential candidate for communists(KPRF) is Soviet General Leonid Ivanshov and he's a million times tougher than Putin.Wait till march presidential elections.Communists are back and austrian economics moron Putin out.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mkgandhas
Communists are back and austrian economics moron Putin out.

But, But, Putin is EX KGB and is tough as nails..

Here..

I'll post some shirtless pictures to prove it!

edit on 11-12-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

No offense but that has to be one of the most contradicting and convoluted attempt at clarification of ones point. So, we had Police brutality then Police apologies then the Protesters had to take matters into their own hands due to

Now check this out.

"Lack of Police activity"

What the hell?

Also, The criminal activity that caused the need for the protesters to fend for themselves due to lax Police assistance would not have been needed had the Protesters not been there. [Not saying they shouldn't have protested] Also many of the Perps were supposedly fellow protesters. [Unless of course they were also FBI or other such Alphabet agency stooges] which may be the prevailing opinion here at ATS.

Just keeping it real.

Exactly...What the hell? I said nothing about lack of police activity. I said the police turned them away. It is a contradiction but not on my part. Nothing like 50 cops standing around and not one of them willing to take a report.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The US has bent over backwards to accomodate the OWS protestors - even to the point of blatantly looking away in the face of all sorts of illegal activity - contrasted with say, the treatment of Tea Party protestors.

Russia has by any objective measure cracked down far harder on their protests.

This is a ridiculous propaganda thread!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Soviet general vs a KGB agent. Soviet general pawns all

Commies are back in business.And Zygunov of KPRF promised to dissolve NATO by peace or force(even nuclear)

Hooray commies are back!!!! commies are back !!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Just remember, "It is always different" when it comes to Liberals. ALWAYS!!!!

Not surprised, not one bit.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

I think most of the pansies here in the US have absolutely no idea what they would face in other countries for ‘occupying’ public places in protest. The police in the US have been much nicer than they would be in communist countries.

You’d PRAY for rubber bullets and pepper spray if you pulled that stuff over there!!

The state and local governments where OWS protests are taking place have been EXTREMELY patient with these occupiers. In Moscow, hundreds were arrested and dozens beaten down after just 2 days of protesting. They also brought in military troops to crush the protests. I don’t think it’s hypocritical at all that the US is calling on them to be non-violent.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
So now I see where many of the modern "Christians" have learned it from.

Yes I am a christian, but am sick and tired of so many acting as if they are so holy, and but when they think no one is looking, they are sinners just like everyone.

I am sick of FAKE people it's not even funny.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This whole comparison is a joke. How do you think the Russian law enforcement would have taken some one defecating on a police vehicle? There would have been one dead guy with his pants around his ankles! The Russians are not known for playing around. The election there was a thinly veiled facade in the first place. Putin was what again??? KGB? Hmm! To try and and paint the ows as victims is trying to manipulate the perception of what they where doing. Ows is to protesting what reality shows are to television. The Russian people showed real courage because they knew how their protesting would be dealt with. The ows on the other hand is their own enemy. " He doesn't represent the movement or that doesn't represent what ows stands for!" Please anyone who was protesting at ows belongs to ows. Too much effort was being made to disown the elements that made it look bad to try and keep a moral high ground.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join