It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

psi-missing statistics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Regarding psi-missing statistics where a psychic tends to guess the wrong card more often than would be expected, I had a thought: If I was a psychic and I got tired of a long boring test, I might tend to favor a particular Zener card or particular sequences of Zener cards. Would that create a psi-missing result? In other words would non-random guessing be more likely to guess wrong than random guessing? I suppose if the cards chosen by the tester are truly random it wouldn't matter, but how do they measure random?

(Sorry I suppose this might be a dumb question to someone who understands statistics.)
edit on 10-12-2011 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

Here's an online example you can actually test yourself with, and of course a very good example on how it works. Window on right side should have a little window with begin test, choose your settings, and see if you psychic,

LINK TO TEST

*if your scoring anything over 20 percent, your beating the odds, and could have abilities, maybe. Also in live tests, its not out of the norm to go through 100-500 attempts, and those testing usually take their time responding.
edit on 10-12-2011 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja
reply to post by cloudyday

Here's an online example you can actually test yourself with, and of course a very good example on how it works. Window on right side should have a little window with begin test, choose your settings, and see if you psychic,

LINK TO TEST

*if your scoring anything over 20 percent, your beating the odds, and could have abilities, maybe. Also in live tests, its not out of the norm to go through 100-500 attempts, and those testing usually take their time responding.

Thanks, I can imagine the psychics need lots of coffee to sit through a test like that. Have they ever tried tests that involve strong emotions?

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
DrunkNinja

OMG...I can tell this is going to be more addictive to me, than pong was when it first came out....yes, I'm that old

edit on 10-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Thanks, I can imagine the psychics need lots of coffee to sit through a test like that. Have they ever tried tests that involve strong emotions?

Yes, they have done tests where the subject is put through excessive pain, fear of electrical shock, fear of imminent death, as well as imminent death of another. There were a few tests done where if the subject came up with the wrong symbol they were shocked, which overtime did show result patterns that were higher than the ones conducted on the same subject without the threat of shock, showing that self preservation goes far beyond 6 senses. Basically the realm where military applications, and the psi world collide is a dark, and scary place where nearly anything goes, and I can only imagine that anything we could imagine has been put to trial.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

don't get ya hopes up to much..
afterall, on a website, you are testing psi-abilities against an inanimate object.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Its actually the preferred method of testing precog, as there is no one that knows what the answer is. In some tests where their is an attendee that can see the answer the subject will be able to use the attendee, and essentially read their thoughts, which obviously contain the answer. Take the attendee away, and the subject fails miserably as they are not a precog, but rather someone that can glean info through human connection.

The trial tests involving random generators, and computers are actually considered the most clinical way to test, despite what you have assumed.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrunkNinja
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Its actually the preferred method of testing precog, as there is no one that knows what the answer is. In some tests where their is an attendee that can see the answer the subject will be able to use the attendee, and essentially read their thoughts, which obviously contain the answer. Take the attendee away, and the subject fails miserably as they are not a precog, but rather someone that can glean info through human connection.

The trial tests involving random generators, and computers are actually considered the most clinical way to test, despite what you have assumed.

It seems to me that Zener cards aren't a good test mechanism and that could be why they haven't been very successful in verifying psi/ESP/whatever. For example, we all know dogs have a better sense of smell than humans, but we would probably be more successful verifying this sense of smell if we make the test NATURAL for the dog. The design of these studies makes assumptions about how ESP works that might be false. They should try to make the test as close as possible to a NATURAL test for the psychic. For example if the psychic always gets his information while eating a bowl of cheerios at home then that is how the test should work until we know that the cheerios aren't important.

new topics

top topics

join