It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coexistance: Is uninty for all religions possible? Can differences be set aside?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It is no secret, especially in todays day and age, that religious extremist exist in every religion. It is also aparent for most that every religion has some principles that every man of every faith can embrace. It is these very principles and messages that have guided so many to these religons to begin with. Religion speaks to the very core of human understanding and moral integrity.

So is it possible for differences to be set aside so we as the human race can come together once again. History shows us this was once the case. Anyone that has ever reseached native american history will tell you the americas were once a melting pot of many religions that coexisted for generations. For the sake of human evolution, does it really matter who's right or who's wrong?

There is only one truth history has shown about religion, and that's the fact we really don't know anything. Many will claim to be part of the "true" religion, and there will always be just as many somewhere else that claims the same. The fact is until your death no one knows for certain, and by that time it won't matter anymore anyways.

Why can we not simply agree to disagree? We should be celebrating our differences! Its those very differences that make mankind so unique. They are what turn the very wheels of human evolution.

So I ask you, can we coexist once again?

Will there be a time when christians and muslims embrace the wisdom of their religion and stop worrying about who's right? It is stated in those very religions that that decision is up to your creators to begin with. If your faith is correct then undoubtly we will all find out in the end.

We have an the ability to change our world! Every faith has some idea of what heaven, shangri la, paradise could be like. If these are concepts that you truely feel in your heart to be true then why wait till death to make it happen?

Many religions believe man is a reflection of the creator, created in his/her/its image. Would we not want to make every attempt to emulate said creator as closely as possible? If this very concept is one of the very cores of the majority of faiths should that not then truely be our ultimate goal?

Many will say our resouces hold us back from creating any true utopia on this planet, but anyone who's done the research will tell you the resources are there, they are just being controlled and manipulated.

It is our own hands that binds us in the constant cycle of depression. We are the change we've waited for for so many generations.

So members here:
Will there be a day when an athiest prays in a jewish temple? When a muslim meditates in a buddist monistary? When all faiths make the journey to mecca just to say they did so with their fellow man? When christians stop forcing christs message and start living the principles for themselves? Can we celebrate our existance together with religious differences asside?

Please keep this discussion civil, and no quoting scriptures (that's not the purpouse here, save it for other posts please!)
edit on 10-12-2011 by mutatismutandis because: typos

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
so long as any one faith says it is the ONLY one faith, we will not have unity.

spirituality and religion do not have to be divisive forces.
it is the commandeering of spirituality and religion that is so problematic.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mutatismutandis

It seems to me that you are asking different questions in your headline and in your Opening Post. Can the religions coexist? Maybe, if you persuade the Muslims that killing Jews and Infidels is not really a part of their religion. I don't know of any other religious leader that wouldn't welcome coexistence.

Now, the unity that you mention in your headline, that's a different question. Assume that religion "A" says this is the one true God, and religion "B" says THIS is the one true God. Unity is not only impossible, it is logically impossible.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mythos

Sad truth it is, but wouldn't it more to everyones advantage to prove that through our own hard work and good deeds rather than through instigation and name calling? There is nothing godlike about using intimidation and fear to convert. I don't understand how one can claim to be religious and then claim thier god is greater than another. In the end the names won't matter. No supreme being is going to judge based on who was right and who was wrong...just who lived their life based on those principles and who didn't. Regardless of who's right and wrong we still have to survive together. If someone conciders themselves to be truely religious they should care more about how to help their fellow man reach the same goal, not segregate because someone doesn't share your same beliefs.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Great message. I am very optimistic.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

It seems to me that you are asking different questions in your headline and in your Opening Post. Can the religions coexist? Maybe, if you persuade the Muslims that killing Jews and Infidels is not really a part of their religion. I don't know of any other religious leader that wouldn't welcome coexistence.

Now, the unity that you mention in your headline, that's a different question. Assume that religion "A" says this is the one true God, and religion "B" says THIS is the one true God. Unity is not only impossible, it is logically impossible.

But because one calls their creator god and one calls their creator alah should make no difference. If anything, they should celebrate that fact they both refuse to belive all that is happened out of sheer coincidence. That alone should be enough to welcome anyone to any faith. There is no reason we should not be able to sit under one roof and say "I belive this, you belive that...all opinions are welcome, and we'll all find out together in the end!"

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I may have misunderstood your intent, in that case forgive me. Are you saying "Whatever your religion is, live up to its precepts and teachings and we can make the world a vastly different place, a near Utopia?"

If that's what you're saying, great I'm more or less with you. (I'm barring Militant Muslims and Satan (or evil spirit) worshippers.)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952[/I]

Exactly!

I feel religions exist for a purpose be them man made or from the divine. Almost every faith upholds many of the same principles: be kind to yourself, your loved ones, and your fell man...

We uphold these values because they speak to everyones hearts.

I have faith one day we can embrace the moral lessons and let the details work themselve out in the end.

What is more godlike then to tell someone "I repect you for your beliefs even if they are not my own"?
edit on 10-12-2011 by mutatismutandis because: addition

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mutatismutandis
It is no secret, especially in todays day and age, that religious extremist exist in every religion. It is also aparent for most that every religion has some principles that every man of every faith can embrace. It is these very principles and messages that have guided so many to these religons to begin with. Religion speaks to the very core of human understanding and moral integrity.

So is it possible for differences to be set aside so we as the human race can come together once again. History shows us this was once the case. Anyone that has ever reseached native american history will tell you the americas were once a melting pot of many religions that coexisted for generations. For the sake of human evolution, does it really matter who's right or who's wrong?

Sadly, that's not entirely true. Before the conflicts began wit Europeans, the Iroquois actually combined tribes as a "nation" (creating one of the blueprint concepts used within our own Constitution - a unique version of representative council government) in an effort to be stronger and less prone to attacks from rival tribes. Across the entire continent, long before the whites arrived, Native Americans fought each other as much as any collection of disparate groups, and never even coalesced into a united front against the European invaders when they were all clearly threatened with wholesale extinction as the monolithic block that the whites viewed them to be. As for whether it was religious differences that caused the general inability for tribes to successfully unite in a common defense, it was certainly cultural, since land ownership (a second big reason for conflict between defined communities) wasn't a big issue with the overall NA outlook on the human being and its relationship with land. Especially since land ownership is what caused the clash between all of them and the new white folks pushing westward.

In general, I agree with the rest of your post. It is ludicrous for all of us to be subjected to the bizarre fanaticisms of a tiny minority. I guess I just wanted to point out that this has been an issue that's transcended locations, cultures and literally everything that humanity has developed as community. I have my own theory as to why such intense focus is so central to the experience of what it means to be human on planet Earth for so many people, but it's just a theory. Nothing that anyone could ever prove, even if I could know it to be absolutely true. When dealing with the human mind, proof can be extremely elusive regardless of what's being determined.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I agree, and sadly there will probably always be some disagreement and some uprising. But no where in at least what I know of native american history was there anything to the degree of what the inquisition brought, what the whites did to take over america, or what we see today between the muslims and jews. There seemed to always be a degree of respect. Then again, I'm certainly no historical expert.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm no expert, but it occurs to me that at its core every religion has a concept of 'salvation'. for the Christian salviation is through Christ and Christ alone.

I believe that one Muslim core belief is that there is one God, with Muhammad as his prophet, and Allah has NO son. Christianity of course is based on Jesus as Son of God.

I'm all for co-existence but a great many of the faithful (of these and other faiths) will NOT compromise on such core positions.

as I recall, in the sci fi novel Dune (and it's 'universe') there was a mulitifaith religion based on the premise that all faiths teach 'thou shalt not disfigure the soul' (which is either a deep insightful thought or new age psychobabble, depending on your point of view) and some ecumenical council came up with an 'Orange Catholic Bible' (or something like that) to meld Bible, Koran, etc. not going to happen.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

I shouldn't be speaking for the OP (but I will anyway), but my understanding is that he doesn't want every religion to agree. Rather he seems to be saying that, in general, religion is a good thing, and everybody should practice those good things. He anticipates few clashes of doctrine, and those will be just minor points that can be dealt with later.

Basically, everyone will be bringing cups of cold water to the thirsty, dressing the naked, feeding the hungry, and the world will be much better. (I'm still not sure what he intends to do with Militant Muslims or Satan worshippers.)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
reply to post by works4dhs

I shouldn't be speaking for the OP (but I will anyway), but my understanding is that he doesn't want every religion to agree. Rather he seems to be saying that, in general, religion is a good thing, and everybody should practice those good things. He anticipates few clashes of doctrine, and those will be just minor points that can be dealt with later.

Basically, everyone will be bringing cups of cold water to the thirsty, dressing the naked, feeding the hungry, and the world will be much better. (I'm still not sure what he intends to do with Militant Muslims or Satan worshippers.)

Precisely!

As far as the extremist/satanist, I believe once the rest of the world is on the same page they would not have a leg left to stand on. If everyone agrees to coexist they would have no choice but to take a good look at themselves and see where their true moral views lay.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

So is it possible for differences to be set aside so we as the human race can come together once again.
I don't know what you mean by "set aside".
I think people should set aside hatred but I see no good purpose to setting aside anything about our version of religion in order to get along, unless part of your religion is to hate anyone not belonging to your particular religion.
You know like being Muslim (and other religions too) and hating "idolaters".
I think if people want to be idolaters that's their business as long as they are not performing human sacrifice or something horrible like that.
edit on 10-12-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone should compromise their beliefs for someone elses...just for all to be able to see everyones point of view. When I say set aside our differences, I mean to accept someone for their beliefs even if they may not always coincide with your own.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

I dream that one day it will be come true, no matter how long it will take. The time when humanity arise and people can live together, see the beauty and be happy.

One day most people will have more knowledge in wide area. More understanding and can be fair. But i believe the peak of human civilization wont happen in this stage, but it will when we become more wiser. Fairness basically like if one day you treat me a meal, and the next time it will be me who treat you. Wisdom in other hand will not think like that, but whoever want and able and willing to treat meal, no matter whom who pay it. And no such obligation to do it anyway.

From most believe i know, there are some similar rule, no one will have to be responsible for other if other not choose what he/she believe. Not sharing the way even how wrong it might be.
I learn that most religions considered people with so much love to other human and other living things is a good person. Rarely talk about who is doing this rituals the most even. There are lots of hope for all human kind to be united without leaving what they believe, theist or atheist wont be a matter. Help each other and being usefull to other as much as possible are a common share of view in everywhere.

Religions or believe or disbelieve is just a path way. We choose a path whatever what we believe or disbelieve. Put some faith on it cuz no one can bring solid evidence back from the future. As long as we breath we are still in process. In the end, life is hard for most of people. Helping each other and care to each other will make life easier and better. Hatred and missuderstanding will make our life gloomy and will consume us from within.

The last, if we dont want to understand, why cant we at least learn from bunch of gambler in rollet gambling. They all have different believe and choice, put some faith on it from small faith into big and full faith. And they are just waiting till the dice stop rolling. While they are waiting, they are not fighting or arguing about what other has choose, and what the reason and evidence.They are just enjoy the game with many emotions.
Life is a simple thing, but we as human made it complicated and we are now in time when we forgot what we need and who we are. We sometimes still thinking about what we want and who are you.
Sorry for this rambling anyway.

Peace

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
No, not possible. You would have to ignore parts of each religion's dogmas and teaching to unite them all together.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I personally think all of the non "book religions" get along already. why? Because they do not have a book telling them what to do, like hate the other religions. Take way the books, let a few generations go by, and they may all get along.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

I personally think all of the non "book religions" get along already. why? Because they do not have a book telling them what to do, like hate the other religions. Take way the books, let a few generations go by, and they may all get along.

This is not entirely true my friend. I have been around enough "non-book" religions to know that discord runs rampant through Man, not any particular group. The problem is people just are not honest with themselves. They preach what they refuse to practice.

For example, Some say Jesus is Lord, but refuse to do what he commanded. How many Christians have given all their wealth to the pooor and followed in Christ's ways? If they truly believed Christ was Lord, this world would be dramatically different. The Christian population could cripple the governements and banks hold on the lives of people if they only did what Christ commanded. Then people would believe in God because people would have better lives overall. But very few actually believe he is Lord. It is easy to say, but not easy to demonstrate your beliefs.

Muslims could learn well from the above rebuke. How can they say they worship Allah who is all merciful and yet not show mercy. How can they say they are a faith of peace, if they cannot stand for it?

What of the Budhists? Could you imagine if rather than meditating on how great and peaceful they were inside, they focused on releaving the suffering outside, as the Budha taught?

Wiccans and Pagans are not exempt from this either. An it harm none, do as thou wilt right?

What is more harmful than destroying one's faith?

It is by faith that your own cirlces are cast and your own covens formed. What matter is it of yours how another draws his circle if yours does not grant any more freedom?

To become the persecutor is no way to end being persecuted.

Just sayin my friend.

There is enough BS in this world because people simply do NOT believe what they proclaim to believe.

Learn to discern the difference

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Very well put, thank you!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join